Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To Rip or Not to Rip

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2023 4:45PM

Personally, I don't think there's anything to be read into the Garvey card. I don't see it as an intentional slight by Topps towards Garvey, just another example of a Topps photography quirk, though I suppose anything is possible. I enjoy the cards of other players or "cards within the cards" in this set, like Munson at catcher in the Crowley card, or in this case, Parker within the Garvey card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

It l

Nikklos
  • Options

hey @PaulMaul
    I got ya covered... :)

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2023 6:28PM

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:
    The photography for the 1973 Topps baseball set was uniquely unusual in many cases, not just for the Garvey card. I kind of like it, especially some of the horizontal action shots. The Alvarado card is one of my all time favorites.

Here’s another classic….three A’s on the Joe Rudi card, and none of them is Joe! 😂

I think Rudi is the next batter stepping into the batter's box...behind the three amigos following a homerun!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2023 6:30PM

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:
    The photography for the 1973 Topps baseball set was uniquely unusual in many cases, not just for the Garvey card. I kind of like it, especially some of the horizontal action shots. The Alvarado card is one of my all time favorites.

Here’s another classic….three A’s on the Joe Rudi card, and none of them is Joe! 😂

That's amazing! Talk about a slight!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Clemente & @grote15 .... :)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

I am one who has a hard time not opening any pack, so the only items I have in my collection are a few random non-valuable items that I have hidden to keep for later and Garvey on top packs. I personally don't find any appeal to sealed packs that are complete mysteries or racks/cellos with nobody of interest showing. I have no problem keeping the Garvey stuff unopened, because I have all of his cards and pulling the one from the packs I have would be meaningless.

I am afraid of modern cards still sealed after a few cheap boxes that were bricked in the packs. No reason at all to keep that stuff sealed and rick everything sticking together.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

That's amazing! > @GroceryRackPack said:

Clemente & @grote15 .... :)

One of my very favorite cards and Clemente's last.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

I think Rudi is the next batter stepping into the batter's box...behind the three amigos following a homerun!

Probably not, because I think Joe Rudi usually batted third, and that’s Gene Tenace crossing the plate, who usually batted 7th….

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:

It l

I sort of feel like Wendle is a very unappreciated name these days. You never see anyone sporting that one anymore.

I'd like to see it make a comeback.

• Options

@mintonlypls

A bit of research has uncovered that the on deck batter when Tenace hit that homer (on June 25, 1972) was Marty Martinez, who is shown to his right on the card. The third guy is outfielder Bill Voss. Neither Voss not Martinez was still on the team when they won their first series in October.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice research, Paul!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep ripping Nikklos!! I wish I had your following Grote!!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Alou!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Alou brother sighting. 😊

• Options

What a crappy way to start the morning

Nikklos
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 10:05AM

@Nikklos said:
    Shame it’s so high on top but love Garvey cards. Don’t understand how he’s not in the Hall.

A further injustice:he is missing his left leg from the knee down. Could of been a Pittsburg "Pirate". Edited for last sentence.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Romo is notorious for poor centering

• Options

Situation is growing dire. 10 cards left…

Nikklos
  • Options

Rough stretch but we remain hopeful!

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I think this would be me with a vintage unopened pack.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2023 1:11PM

I try to keep busy to fight off the urge to just tear through it. I may break tonight tho.

And console myself with turkey tomorrow.

Nikklos
  • Options

Start thinking 615 non-stop, maybe that will bring it out? 🤔

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet photo.

• Options

Nikklos
  • Options

@Nikklos said:
    That’s kind of a beaut

It is but he didn't let Mussina throw one pitch during the all-star game in his home ballpark in front of the Baltimore fans. Inexcusable low character move in my opinion.

I say sell or trade. But an absolutely beautiful 73. Congrats on the pull.

• Options

Going down in a blaze of glory

Nikklos
  • Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

How much would the Baseballl Card Exchange charge today for the exact item that you just opened?

• Options

Nikklos
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting to me that all these cards are from series 1-3, at least the backs that were shown. Do you know if the “all series” packs primarily consisted of the early series cards as a way to clear the remaining inventory of sheets? I could see this if they were still producing series 4-5 packs and boxes simultaneously for sale. Guessing Tim might have perspective on this.

• Options

Just misses. Down to the last 5…

Nikklos
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Tom Bradley's jersey has a zipper.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

And pinstripes.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

a couple of pretty good hitters there!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I always used to put Paul Blair in my plastic sheets because my Dad said he was the best fielder in baseball.

Nikklos
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭

1973 Topps Baseball has such a great design. It puts all the emphasis on photography (1970's Topps photography is as good as it gets) while allowing those crisp white borders to look amazing when mint.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2023 5:29PM

@Nikklos said:

I used to work with an in-law of Stelmaszek...Lizzy used to make these awesome raspberry tart cakes... :)

• Options

Nikklos
  • Options

The answer was “not rip” people!

Nikklos
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 7:12PM

Yeah but you never know you could have had a major hit that is part of gambling. Sometimes it pays sometimes not. Don't feel bad you gave it a try and that is that.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

Sorry for the luck, but kudos for the try.

A very entertaining thread.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking a shot! The '73 Topps set is both entertaining in its '70s feel, and so frustrating to find centering -- even if lucking into a decently centered front, it almost always then leads to a woefully centered back. :smile:

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    It is interesting to me that all these cards are from series 1-3, at least the backs that were shown. Do you know if the “all series” packs primarily consisted of the early series cards as a way to clear the remaining inventory of sheets? I could see this if they were still producing series 4-5 packs and boxes simultaneously for sale. Guessing Tim might have perspective on this.

I did see a number of 4th series cards (397-528) and a few 5th series cards (529-660), too, which is consistent with what one should expect from an all series 73 cello.