Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This was unanswered by all the contestants in a recent Jeopardy episode

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

The category was Golf, but it might as well have been called Unanswered Clues!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed that one, as well.

"Rare old gold coin" was a bit misleading. ;)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagle

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    I know what answer they wanted (double eagle), but I thought three under par on a hole was an albatross? Not that I was much of a golfer, I was more familiar with snowmen than eagles.

Sean Reynolds

Same thing, but commonly referred to as a Double Eagle by most golfers.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

One MUST know about "Coins & Golf" to answer the question correctly.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@seanq said:
    I know what answer they wanted (double eagle), but I thought three under par on a hole was an albatross? Not that I was much of a golfer, I was more familiar with snowmen than eagles.

Sean Reynolds

Same thing, but commonly referred to as a Double Eagle by most golfers.

Funny ... playing golf for 15 years now and I only knew it as Albatross... even thought I understand a double eagle as an alternate...as a birdie is 1 under, eagle as 2 under - my logic would be double eagle would be 4 under par on a single hole (that is fairly impossible)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2023 10:25AM

I don't think I would call a generic double eagle "rare." That would throw me off right there. Three under par on a par four hole is a hole in one or "an ace."

A rare gold coin might be called "an ace" if you found one that you had looked for for a long time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even Jeopardy doesn't always get it right. I've seen them okay an answer of "penny" for a US cent.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be a "Double Eagle" - they wouldn't lie to us B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the answer is worded, possibly to non collectors a gold coin is rare. So maybe that is why the show researches worded it as such. Assuming most contestants are non collectors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guess albatross as well. Never heard it called a double eagle.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an albatross.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then there was the old seafarer who could never sink a putt. Every shot would be so close that the ball would spin around and divert right or left, but never go in. They wrote a book about him called "The Rim of the Ancient Mariner!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my golf experience, the term albatross is far more common but I have seen or heard double eagle as well. FWIW, four under par is called a condor. There’s a coin tie-in there too!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, it's not an Escudo then. Hmmm.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked my brother who is an avid golfer and he has never heard of the term "Albatross."

Perhaps it is a regional thing. Those of you who have heard it, WHERE did you hear it? (State alone would be good enough.)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I asked my brother who is an avid golfer and he has never heard of the term "Albatross."

Perhaps it is a regional thing. Those of you who have heard it, WHERE did you hear it? (State alone would be good enough.)

I have to agree. I live in Tx and have been golfing since the early 90's. We always called it a double eagle. Not that we ever got one, lol, just called it that.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

I think I heard it on ESPN. I am not a golfer or even a fan, so the only place I could have heard it would be a sports highlight show.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Par > Birdie > Eagle > Albatross > Condor

A double eagle should, mathematically, be four under par. You can't always correct lingo.

There are other terms like Ostrich and Phoenix for stuff like 5 under par and 6 under par on a hole.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN calls it an Albatross. Seen it twice on TV 1st shot on a par 4, then again on 2nd shot on a par 5. As for my golf game, dead buzzards, road kill wrens and an occasional F####KIN STUPID BALL !!!!!

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

I was trying to google "golf double eagle" and accidentally typed "gold double eagle". Muscle memory I guess. Interesting that golf and gold is only off by 1 letter, and the letters are right next to each other on the keyboard.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that episode. Everyone looked at me for the answer. I didn't have a clue. In my own defence I do not play golf and I do not collect gold.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charles Van Doren could have answered that question.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 1:10PM

@CaptHenway said:

So, as a semi-serious golfer I might be able to answer this. Albatross is a 2 on a par 5. It is not a technical term, more so the ‘slang” word for a 2 on a par 5. A hole in one is much more common than a “albatross”, which for a golfer is 1 out of 6 MILLION. A hole in one is 1/12500 on average. I do not yet have a hole in one, but I have an “albatross” on a par 5!.

In golf, double Eagle is 3 under par and the technical correct name for it. Remember a “hole in one” is not a technical score either, which would be Eagle. Albatross and condor are not actual names on paper, just the slang for the score (par minus shot). So, you would have an “ACE” on a hole in one, on either a par 4 or par 3. This is where the lingo doesn’t work with score.

Just noticed this was my 1000th post. Maybe I should do a giveaway….im on It!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2023 12:12AM

Interesting. I’ve always heard the term ‘Albatross’ on the West coast.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file