Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Request to post your favorite Morgans

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Morgan dollars. It would be great to see some of our members favorite Morgan's. It's been a little dull on the Morgan front here. Let's spice it up.
I've started this type of thread before. Collectors buy new stuff all the time.
Looking forward to seeing some good stuff.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options

Steve your coins are so clean. You have a great eye. Thank you for posting them.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2023 6:27AM

@Morgan13 said:
    Steve your coins are so clean. You have a great eye. Thank you for posting them.

Thank you for your kind words. I typically spend about 1-1/2 hours each evening scouring sources for newly listed coins, from auction houses and dealers. When I finally see something that looks like it might be for me, I do quick further research, and then jump on it! If it’s at an auction house, I call them the next morning and request one of their numismatists bring the coin to the phone. I ask questions. Surprisingly, with a couple of auction houses, roughly 80% of the time they suggest I pass. That unbiased advice is invaluable!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tyler267 said:

That coin needs some new pics!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@retirednow said:
    Morgans it is then

It never ceases to amaze me when I see some of this cool stuff posted. That's why I start these threads. What an awesome group!

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justindan said:

Ah, Shapiro. I remember Larry building his set. He was ahead of me. The coins were generally nice. He did many upgrades (as I did) and so there are many with the 'name' on the label that were not in the final version. He continues to launch new registry sets with his inventory and retire them occasionally. I don't think any have the 'name' on them though but not sure. Often the 'names' get removed by new owners.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    coinguy82coinguy82 Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:

Nice post...it took me 67 years to get this coin. Take care and enjoy your Morgans...

CC

Long wait but a beauty she is congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:
    I paid a premium for this one because:
    1) I thought it was undergraded as an MS65
    2) the strike is far better than on most '21-Ds, especially on the breast feathers and leaves on the
    wreath

Agree on both thoughts, nice 21D

• Options

@Cocoinut said:
    I paid a premium for this one because:
    1) I thought it was undergraded as an MS65
    2) the strike is far better than on most '21-Ds, especially on the breast feathers and leaves on the
    wreath

That's a nice 21-D with a really nice full strike. That's probably like 10% of the population that's come like that. Most of them are super flat, especially the reverse. You have a full wreath.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 21D. Great luster, limited chatter & great strike, the wreath really pops and not worn down. Congrats.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    This is a great thread...thanks for showing your Morgans. This was my last purchase this year to complete my PCGS mint set collection...the 97th coin. Take care and enjoy your coins...

Does this mean that you have all 97 of the Morgans issued for circulation (I guess counting 7TF, 8TF and 7/8TF as three issues, and not counting the 1895 proof), all in mint state? That's quite a collection (and probably is worth more than my house)!

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@CCDollar said:
    This is a great thread...thanks for showing your Morgans. This was my last purchase this year to complete my PCGS mint set collection...the 97th coin. Take care and enjoy your coins...

Does this mean that you have all 97 of the Morgans issued for circulation (I guess counting 7TF, 8TF and 7/8TF as three issues, and not counting the 1895 proof), all in mint state? That's quite a collection (and probably is worth more than my house)!

LOL...I wish too. No...I meant "Basic Set Circ. Strikes". Quite a few circulated coins in my PCGS registry set. The coin above completed it...all 97 coins.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@CCDollar said:

My fathers Whitman album had a spot for the '95 proof. I always wondered why they included that one proof and not any of the others.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@124Spider said:

@CCDollar said:

My fathers Whitman album had a spot for the '95 proof. I always wondered why they included that one proof and not any of the others.

Yeah I agree; my Whitman albums have a place for the 1895, which I don't consider part of a "normal" full set. So I stuck an old British half penny coin in the slot and call it good.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

That always bothered me too. The Dansco albums I have also have an 1895 slot. Technically the coin was supposed to exist with a mintage of 12,000 but they could have exercised some discretion there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file