Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PNNA Oregon Show Report...

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2023 1:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a show I look forward to every year... My local coin club is the sponsor so it's filled with familiar faces and friends volunteering and making sure folks are happy.
it rained pretty good both days on & off so I was happy to spend it inside.
About a month ago another friend asked if I'd want to share a table with him... I haven't played "coin dealer" in about 10 years so it was an easy yes for me, I've been buying all along and not really selling anything off so I had quite a bit of excess.
Bullion sales for me were very strong. I had a lot of collectible 2oz pieces, premium Canadian wildlife, Pirate rounds, Intaglio mint misc, ugly toned silver eagles, some 45cal bullets, etc - they all flew out of the case between 27 & 30 per oz. I was feeling pretty heavy in silver lately and wanted to convert to a few fractional gold so that was a big success for me.
It was jam packed business on Saturday. Sales were strong for everyone I talked with... Sunday was less crowded for sure but pretty equal in strong sales and interest.
A couple surprises along the way...
I sold all but 4 of the PCGS slabs in my case which was awesome. At one point, I had 5 PCGS coins out showing them to a customer and after some scrutiny, he said he'd just take them all.
My table mate spent a good 15 minutes talking about coins to a kid who was probably 10-12 years old while his mom looked on. About the time I was noticing how long it was taking, the kid popped out a hundred dollar bill and purchased the coin he liked.
On Sunday a similar situation, I had two kids stop by and ask about some of my original bank wrapped rolls, I explained the process, how they were delivered to banks by the Feds, yes, they were still new inside, etc. It was cool to talk with them but I didn' think much about it until about half an hour later they come back with their dad in tow and pulled out $280 for a unopened roll of Franklins.

You always wonder when someone is taking up time or space at your table as you watch potential buyers glance and keep on walking if you're losing sales but I guess it goes to show you never really can know.

Anyway... a very successful show for me and every dealer I spoke with said exactly the same.
I guess it was too windy to fish up north because @2windy2fish was set up just a few tables down from me. We had a good time catching up in the small spaces between customers. He's a solid guy., a smart collector with a good eye for quality coins. He was gracious enough to swing by on Sunday and pick over my very picked over inventory for his next show sales... I appreciated that very much and cut him some slack as much as possible. (I'm still hoping he invites me fishing one of these days)

I bought two really nice coins I have not photographed, I'll share those with you all later.
Here's a few shots - my drive in, the public on Saturday and my case full of stuff & things...

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and glad that it was a success for everyone.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your report!

I found this interesting:
    _ Bullion sales for me were very strong. I had a lot of collectible 2oz pieces, premium Canadian wildlife, Pirate rounds, Intaglio mint misc, ugly toned silver eagles, some 45cal bullets, etc - they all flew out of the case between 27 & 30 per oz._

I wonder if the market is starting to turn back, or if this was an anomaly.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to have missed it - though retired, agreed to help my old group by working this weekend.

Thanks for the report!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report. Looks like a busy little show.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report . . . .and looks like a super show!

Drunner

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the report sounds like it was overall a good show. Even though I live about 3 miles from the Monarch, I couldn't make it this year due to recovery from heart surgery. I couldn't make the last two for other reasons. Hopefully next year is the charm.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like a good rain to help out with show attendance. People can't do much outside so they migrate to indoor activities/interests.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and pics!!! Very nice show report!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I neglected to mention that i had a young man swing by Sunday afternoon frantically buying coins nearing the shows end. I prodded him a bit and he said he’s selling on Whatnot and having great success…he could not attend the show Saturday and was doing his best to buy as much as he could in a couple hours at the show…spent about 1500 on 25 to 50 dollar coins and wanted anything i had with toning or color!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely showcases.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 7:16PM

Went to the show on Saturday, it was pretty packed. Lots of buying and selling going on, I was able to walk away with a couple of chopmarked coins. Got to catch up with an old timer chopmark collector who I hadn't met before, so it was definitely worth the trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file