Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In Praise of AU58; or “Warning Track Power”

124Spider124Spider Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked coin collecting, starting in the early 1960s as a little kid taking coins out of change. It was a good time to be doing so, since there still were all sorts of interesting coins in general circulation: Steel cents; silver nickels; buffalo nickels; Mercury dimes; standing Liberty quarters; walking Liberty half dollars (though the Whitman folder called them “Liberty Standing Half Dollars”), and Franklin half dollars (not to mention that all dimes, quarters and half dollars were silver). I never had money to buy coins, but it was enough fun to check change for a new slot filler.

Life got in the way for decades, once I was well into high school; then too many years of college, followed by jobs and raising kids.

After the kids were done with college (and we were done paying for college), there finally was time—and money—for collecting coins again. Getting interesting coins out of change no longer was realistic, but buying coins now was possible.

But on a budget, as generous as that budget has been.

And one result of being on a budget is that I’ve fallen in love with AU58 coins (especially AU58/CAC coins). A clean AU58 coin can be virtually indistinguishable from a mint state coin, and is often at least vaguely affordable even for many (not all!) better dates, whereas mint state copies of the better dates often are way out of my reach. “Warning track power” is an allusion to a baseball player hitting a long fly ball that doesn’t quite leave the park; not Ruthian power, but not bad.

And, yes, I do understand how privileged I am to be able to swim in the semi-deep end; I don’t at all feel sorry for myself for not being able to “compete” in the set registry game. Yes, it would be cool to be able to buy some coins I lust after but simply cannot justify buying; but I gaze in wonder at what I have, which would have astounded my 10-year old self. And I love seeing all those pretty AU58 coins when I look through my collection (my first certified AU58 coin purchase was scratching a life-long itch to own a 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent, and that coin still gives me a great big smile every time I look at it).

The end. :)

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post!

Silver was almost entirely taken out of circulation by the time I started to collect coins in the early 1970s, but I could still get brand-spanking-new looking Morgan (1881-S, 1885-O or 1921) and Peace (1922, 1923 or 1924) silver dollars for $5 to $10 a pop, and even though I haven't collected in that niche for decades, it still gives me a grin to see those coins at a show or in a shop raw and gleaming.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s nothing wrong with warning track power. Sometimes you get a stand up triple out of it or an exciting slide onto second.
    I’m sure there are examples but I don’t see a lot of ugly AU58s. The MS-except for-the-rub coins can bring a lot of bang for the buck.

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I've seen MS graded coins that squarely hit the foul pole on eye appeal. (clang)

A higher number doesn't always mean a better coin.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree a true, slightly rubbed, original MS64 & higher coin is a beauty to behold. Being used in circulation & having great aesthetics is best of both worlds. And sometimes at a bargain price. However to keep with the baseball theme, unfortunately the TPGs have brought the fences in and sometimes cheapened the definition of a true MS coin.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@87redcivic said:
    I've seen MS graded coins that squarely hit the foul pole on eye appeal. (clang)

A higher number doesn't always mean a better coin.

Hitting the foul pole is still a home run lol.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 9:10AM

We're brothers from a different mother. With the exception of your college replaced with my military, your story is my story. I often wondered how to articulate my coin collecting history. You just did it for me. Thanks!

They were 58's. Not sure what they are today! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the AU58 grade. They were more reasonably priced before PCGS came out with the everyman registry where AU58 was the top grade for the sets. I noticed a competitive increase in AU58 prices after that. Looking at some of these posts in this thread, I am sure I've bid up and lost many auctions to these guys.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice post to read, signed off with The End and the smiley, made me smile.

I agree and can relate, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps when you can, share your 09-S VDB here?

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 4:39PM

• Options
    edited November 8, 2023 5:05PM

@renomedphys said:
    Sometimes 58 isn't quite low enough to spare the ol' pocketbook :D

Alas, you are correct!

The younger siblings of AU58--AU55 and AU53--often fill the bill just fine, as you showed. And I have lots of XF40 - AU50 coins (and even a number of VF coins) that please me, given my budget.

Of course, a nice, clean VG copy of that coin would thrill me no end!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Some pretty (literally) high-powered coins seen here! I've nothing so choice as the AU gold posted, but hope to at some point. Some minor AU stuff, I do have, just not on quite the level of all this eye candy! :smile:

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki Great looking 1911 and 1912 $10 Indians. I would love to find ones like that.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2023 2:18PM

58CAC

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

OP here; this is another of mine (PCGS/CAC AU58)

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding coin!! @Herb_T

<3<3<3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding 1817 @Herb_T

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might as well put it here as well! 😫 😢

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

In my grading class sponsored by the ANA, I teach that a true AU 58 has better eye appeal than an MS-60 or 61 and many MS-62's. They are generally less expensive and bring great bang for the buck. There is also the idea that the 58 coin was initially used for its intended purpose and is therefor a part of history.
    About 25 years ago, Bill Fivaz wrote an article called "AU-58 the Grade of the Future." If you can get a copy, it is a great read.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK….another one…

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing this thread, I might just ditch lower uncirculated coins forever. I would take a AU-58 over a MS-61 any day. Amazing coins everyone! :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2023 12:30AM

Frankly, Everyman collectors have turned AU58 into one of the worst grades for purchasing coins. I avoid the grade now.

Bill Fivaz didn't have to contend with price-wrecking Everyman collectors.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian. True, the problem is finding a true AU58. One or the worse slabbed coins is an MS61 with slightly more then a little wear that is graded AU58. Wonder how many AU58's get rejected when trying for a CAC sticker vs receiving one. If it doesn't look MS at first glance, or wasn't an original MS63 or higher, it shouldn't be an AU58. Finding one is a treasure.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    After seeing this thread, I might just ditch lower uncirculated coins forever. I would take a AU-58 over a MS-61 any day. Amazing coins everyone! :)

And more competition = higher prices.

@Barberian said:
    Frankly, Everyman collectors have turned AU58 into one of the worst grades for purchasing coins. I avoid the grade now.

Bill Fivaz didn't have to contend with price-wrecking Everyman collectors.

I agree that the everyman registry increased the AU58 prices by far. It was my favorite grade because I could afford it and they can look UNC for a fraction of the price. I don't find many AU58 deals anymore.

• Options

@Barberian said:

I do see some AU58 coins absurdly priced (equivalent to MS63 coins); this may be a result of what you mention.

But, mostly, I still find that I can get a nice, clean AU58 for a price significantly below any mint state copy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file