Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Breaking news from the U.S. Mint

2»

Comments

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Perhaps the US Mint can mint coins with England's King George III on them to commemorate what would have happened if the Revolution hadn't succeeded.

Great Britain Guinea 1794, "Spade" reverse, Gold, 25.0mm x 24.5mm, 8.37gm

:)

We already kind of do that by slapping a President on nearly every circulating coin. I understand there is a difference because they aren't alive when placed on a circulating coin, but it's still glorifying power.

I find it mindboggling some people are calling for the new Morgan/Peace Dollars series to be stopped and glad to see the flowing hair design get cancelled in 2024. Oh boy year 100+ of the Jefferson Nickel, Lincoln Cent, Roosevelt Dime, Kennedy Half Dollar. Hooray! What excitement! lol.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Julian137 said:

We already kind of do that by slapping a President on nearly every circulating coin. I understand there is a difference because they aren't alive when placed on a circulating coin, but it's still glorifying power.

I find it mindboggling some people are calling for the new Morgan/Peace Dollars series to be stopped and glad to see the flowing hair design get cancelled in 2024. Oh boy year 100+ of the Jefferson Nickel, Lincoln Cent, Roosevelt Dime, Kennedy Half Dollar. Hooray! What excitement! lol.

Not my understanding of the current situation.

The original plan was to issue the "Flowing Hair" items as part of the existing Liberty program. The "design review panels" objected to the "Flowing Hair" design being part of the Liberty program. So, the current plan is to issue a separate, "Flowing Hair" release in 2024, just not as part of the Liberty program.

Source: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/mint-changes-plans-for-1794-1-american-liberty-designs

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they just make a silver trime so the low budget collector can afford something they make again.... :'(

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    Will they just make a silver trime so the low budget collector can afford something they make again.... :'(

You're assuming it won't cost $50

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2023 1:52PM

This may be a very good opportunity for the Mint to
    make a special issue $1 Gold coin at 1 gram weight,
    similar to the $1 Gold issues during 1849 - 1889.
    This coin could have the Flowing Hair Liberty obverse
    design, and be offered (with the Silver $) as a Silver - Gold $ pair.

I often request this issue when I take the US Mint
    customer surveys.

It would be great to see a small affordable $1 Gold
    coin issued once again.

I would also like a mint mark spread. :wink:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Julian137 said:

Not my understanding of the current situation.

The original plan was to issue the "Flowing Hair" items as part of the existing Liberty program. The "design review panels" objected to the "Flowing Hair" design being part of the Liberty program. So, the current plan is to issue a separate, "Flowing Hair" release in 2024, just not as part of the Liberty program.

Source: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/mint-changes-plans-for-1794-1-american-liberty-designs

Ah, good to know it's still in the works.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, someones grandson will make a pencil tracing of SBA and it will be used instead of using a mere replica of one of our most beautiful Liberty's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@privatecoin said:

You're assuming it won't cost $50

Yes, yes...... $49.99 :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Casabrown said:
    [...]
    The minutes of the CCAC meeting will be posted soon on the CCAC website, which will answer your all your questions.
    [...]

If anyone is interested, I just noticed that the minutes have been posted. The relevant section starts on page #2, section II. Minutes, sub-section #2.

Additionally, you can find the transcripts and audio files for the OCT-2023 meeting here.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few interesting points.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Or, as it is typically written...

“Those who forget their history are condemned to repeat it.”

Re:
    $5 and/or $10 Higher Value Circulating Coins – to authorize the minting of $5 and $10 coins available for spending to renew the renew the relevancy and role of coinage in American society as a cost-effective medium of exchange.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I hope some of you will be able to join the CCAC at our November 28, 2023 Public meeting as it will be my swan song as Chair.

Have an enjoyable Thanksgiving

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 4:35PM

@Casabrown said:
    I hope some of you will be able to join the CCAC at our November 28, 2023 Public meeting as it will be my swan song as Chair.

I read the minutes and follow the logic why the Flowing Hair was pulled from the American Liberty series. Noticed where the design is suggested for a silver medal without any mention of a gold coin version. The mints 2024 catalog still shows a 230 year anniversary Flowing Hair Coin.

Is this a mistake or will there be a 2024 Gold Flowing Hair coin?

Only gold coin mentioned is the 2029 Incluse Indian…

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@Liquidated said:

@Casabrown said:

I read the minutes and follow the logic why the Flowing Hair was pulled from the American Liberty series. Noticed where the design is suggested for a silver medal without any mention of a gold coin version. The mints 2024 catalog still shows a 230 year anniversary Flowing Hair Coin.

Is this a mistake or will there be a 2024 Gold Flowing Hair coin?

Only gold coin mentioned is the 2029 Incluse Indian…

Anyone know?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the thread was going to be the mint hired Phil Arnold

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

For clarification, it is important to emphasize a couple of points:

1. As I am not authorized to advise anyone as to what the US Mint will or will not do, I advise you to contact the US Mint directly if this is what you desire.
    2. The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) advises the Treasury Secretary on circulating and commemorative coins and metals, most often after receiving presentations from the US Mint's Office of Design Management and comments from the relevant liaisons or stakeholders.
    3. The CCAC did review and voted to recommend to the Treasury Secretary the 2024 Flowing Hair Gold coin and silver medal at the 11/28 public meeting of the CCAC.

I thank you all for your patience.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will the mint release the details of the customer surveys?

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2023 6:52PM

More importantly the committee unanimously voted
    "I move that the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar rendition be removed from the agenda and not be considered for the American Liberty gold coin and silver medal program"
    Sounds like it's dead to me. Too bad. @Manifest_Destiny @MetroD @Liquidated @Cranium_Basher73

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited December 2, 2023 3:02AM

@Namvet69 said:
    More importantly the committee unanimously voted
    "I move that the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar rendition be removed from the agenda and not be considered for the American Liberty gold coin and silver medal program"
    Sounds like it's dead to me. Too bad.

CCAC recommended against inclusion in the American Liberty program.

As I understand it, this does not mean that a 'Flowing Hair' release is dead. It just means that it would not be issued as part of the American Liberty series.

Edited to Add:
    While the official CCAC meeting "minutes" for 11/28/23 are not available yet, Dr. Brown (aka @Casabrown) did post the following to the forum on 12/01/23:

@Casabrown said:
    [...]
    3. The CCAC did review and voted to recommend to the Treasury Secretary the 2024 Flowing Hair Gold coin and silver medal at the 11/28 public meeting of the CCAC.
    [...]

Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file