Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

To good to be true I guess. They say they’ll look like a cheap reproduction.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    "A cheap reproduction?"
    They should be used to that, no?
    :D

really :s

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess these might resurface as commems or semi-regular NCLT issues like the new Morgan and Peace issues. There is too much low-hanging fruit and money on the table for these to be fully scrapped.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

Phoney. I was looking forward to this. Oh well

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a neat idea but that design needed some work.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not April 1st.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know what specific objections cancelled this project. This panel is a public group, own the decision and air it out. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like we're still getting the design. From CoinWorld:

"The Mint initially planned to employ the 1794 dollar designs for an American Liberty silver medal in 2024 and gold dollar in 2025, but is now planning to use the designs to celebrate the 230th anniversary of the Flowing Hair dollar series in 2024 — a program separate from the American Liberty series."

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 2:50PM

@William said:
    Here is our full coverage.
    William T. Gibbs, Managing Editor, Coin World

This is incredible news and glad to not see shut down. Actually for the best as a separate coin vs the alternating year Liberty series. It will be well received.

Looking forward to the results of next months meeting.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes the most sense to make it a 2024 commemorative. Maybe a Bust dollar commemorative in 2025 or 2026 (small eagle) and 2028 (large eagle)?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

"The Mint initially planned to employ the 1794 dollar designs for an American Liberty silver medal in 2024 and gold dollar in 2025, but is now planning to use the designs to celebrate the 230th anniversary of the Flowing Hair dollar series in 2024 — a program separate from the American Liberty series."

I am very confused.

Did Congress already pass a law authorizing this program? If so, why would they even have considered using the design on the American Liberty silver medal?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

They finally remembered that there were problems striking the originals.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    To me, it’s obvious the P.C. crowd is getting their way! Remember the apparently biased structuring of that U.S. Mint survey a few months ago?

@Casabrown , “Say it ain’t so, Joe?”

(For the young ones here, this is supposedly what a young boy asked Shoeless Joe Jackson outside of the courtroom when Joe Jackson, the greatest hitter of his time, admitted he was part of the fixing of the 1919 “Black” Sox World Series scandal.)

Steve

The 1794 was not approved for gold liberty series because it is not a modern version of liberty. However it is being introduced as a stand alone item. Although a lot of PC garbage produced and will be introduced this is not an example.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 5:33AM

@Liquidated said:

@winesteven said:
    To me, it’s obvious the P.C. crowd is getting their way! Remember the apparently biased structuring of that U.S. Mint survey a few months ago?

(For the young ones here, this is supposedly what a young boy asked Shoeless Joe Jackson outside of the courtroom when Joe Jackson, the greatest hitter of his time, admitted he was part of the fixing of the 1919 “Black” Sox World Series scandal.)

Steve

The 1794 was not approved for gold liberty series because it is not a modern version of liberty. However it is being introduced as a stand alone item. Although a lot of PC garbage produced and will be introduced this is not an example.

But it is a modern version of liberty. It's certainly not an ancient version of liberty.

It is arguably more "modern" than any image that has been used on the liberty series. It was so "modern" that contemporaries objected to her flowing hair.

• Options

@Liquidated said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

But it is a modern version of liberty. It's certainly not an ancient version of liberty.

It is arguably more "modern" than any image that has been used on the liberty series. It was so "modern" that contemporaries objected to her flowing hair.

No, no, no…

On this board there has never been a more incorrect guy with incorrect statements than you. I realize you have nothing better than to do than seek out attention. Almost explained it to you, but would never be able to understand it for you. My time is more valuable than your 3 seconds of entertainment.

Now there's a funny, intemperate response.

The traditional "liberty" dates to the Greco-Roman period and looks more like the Statue of Liberty and the current Mint liberty series. She is almost always shown with a head adornment of some type from the phrygian cap to variations of a crown. In the case of early 20th century US depictions, she wears a Native American headdress. Even when (rarely) not wearing an actual crown or headdress, her hair is firmly coifed.

The Flowing Hair liberty actually freed Liberty from the various head adornments. It was so untraditional that her virtue was called into question by contemporaries. [Strike a blow for the misogynistic patriarchy!] To most historians, the "modern period" includes the 19th and 20th centuries. You will not find a pre-modern Liberty similar to the Flowing Hair liberty. It was too "wild" in its depiction. All subsequent US Mint depictions revert to the traditional (antiquarian) Liberty.

So, I stand by my assertion about the modernity of the flowing hair design. And your assertion that she is "not modern" is demonstrably untrue, at least from a historical perspective. And your further assertion that this decision is not based on DEI considerations remains questionable. Unless, of course, by "modern" you are subtly invoking DEI considerations.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all these reproduction of old classic designs brings forth 2 thoughts. 1)The mint is mimicking the sports card industry. Card companies frequently use an old classic design with modern players 2)Begging the question. Can't the mint/sports card companies come up with a current classic original design without resorting to a copy? Granted the classic designs of old are just that classic and stand on their merit. I just wish they would not corrupt their place in historical design by watering down their place in classic history with the repos.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

It's also interesting that they haven't done a male Liberty. After all, isn't that also a level of needed diversity in the representation of Liberty?

Ha! I won't say anything else for obvious reasons.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It's also interesting that they haven't done a male Liberty. After all, isn't that also a level of needed diversity in the representation of Liberty?

Ha! I won't say anything else for obvious reasons.

Steve

LOL. The reasons could not be more obvious given my current employment on a college faculty. I have a meeting next week that almost makes me want to retire.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    With all these reproduction of old classic designs brings forth 2 thoughts. 1)The mint is mimicking the sports card industry. Card companies frequently use an old classic design with modern players 2)Begging the question. Can't the mint/sports card companies come up with a current classic original design without resorting to a copy? Granted the classic designs of old are just that classic and stand on their merit. I just wish they would not corrupt their place in historical design by watering down their place in classic history with the repos.

The sports cards are a little different. But in the coin realm, it isn't about the inability to come up with new designs. The whole point is to try to appeal to the very "traditional" collector who is in love with the old designs. Look how popular the very antiquarian Liberty Silver Eagles were with collectors. "Eagles" are also Greco-Roman symbols that have carried forth into the modern era. We are nothing if not traditionalists. Collectors have a tendency to object to new designs and embrace the old ones.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2023 6:42AM

Her hair is more modern, though her garb remains Greco-Roman.

Okay, I'm done obsessing...

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a quick reversal. I liked the 1794 throwback design, but I don't buy modern Mint products, so I am not impacted by the reversal.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    Future flowing hair design to be used by the mint:

Looks like a Napoleonic hat

• Options
    edited November 2, 2023 12:55PM

Yup.

Nice.

Apparently the Mint considers 1794 to be part of the "ancient era" rather than the "modern era".

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a "flowing dress " Harriet Tubman coin instead of flowing hair Liberty ? I don't think the BEP will ever put her on a twenty....if we are going to rehash things. We can't make up our collective mind since we lost our collective minds.

https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/people/nri/20190709/people/70A8AE31-C040-9D69-7CB06EDF2006F8E1/70A8AE31-C040-9D69-7CB06EDF2006F8E1.jpg

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

And I would agree. Classic US designs just don't translate the same with the dies and processes we have now.
    jmho

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

The problem is the politics of modern designs won't allow for it. Look at what happened with the 2017 and 2018 liberty and now they're focusing on liberty as a non personified concept.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

And I would agree. Classic US designs just don't translate the same with the dies and processes we have now.
    jmho

The mint did a good job with the 2016 Walking Liberty gold

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Casabrown said:
    Folks!

Calm down and stop with all the negative assumptions.

Again, please calm down.

Regards,

Casabrown

Thanks, Casa, I was getting real het up over this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file