Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your best unhinged rant you can give about an obscure coin fact?

Bonus points for more unhinged rants

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it is Miss Liberty wearing a headdress, but dang- it sure looks like an Indian.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

That the Mint immediately fixed the wear problem on the denomination of Buffalo nickels, but not the date.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 1:38PM

Ok, here I go… ;)
    You know I really hate it when they call Apollo Dimes mercury dimes because Apollo came first and mercury was just copying they like come on fellows this is. The serios matter and do you know what I also hate I hate when they call Morgan dollars barber dollars because barber didn’t even design them and I don’t think she wants to cut your hair and the ghosts tell me that there was actuall 1873 S dollar coins and I can get they for a few hundred dollars but you fellows think otherwise and the ghost also said that my coin was fake but you really do have 2027 Pennies but then when I tried to publish my findings everyone said that I was a “wacko” I don’t even know what that means but I’m like dr Seuss because I go rejected by the publishers and then I got sent to a he “sike ward” by my family but then I dig out with my 2027
    Pennies. And now I’m writing this before my “court” “trial” Send prayers everyone.

This is a joke! I’m not this delusional, I promise!! :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 5:12AM

@braddick said:
    I know it is Miss Liberty wearing a headdress, but dang- it sure looks like an Indian.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the woman in the miss liberty in a headdress design actually modeled after a Statue of Venus? I thought I read that somewhere many years ago.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 5:15AM

The 1914-D uncirculated lincoln cent is such an overhyped and overpriced coin. The 1914-s unc lincoln is actually rarer in terms of slabs out there.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

That the type 1 standing liberty quarter was redesigned because of public outrage over a bare breast. It was changed because MacNeil complained and it didn’t coin well. See “Facts, Mysteries, and Myths about US Coins” by Van Ryzin.

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

obscure & unhinged - right up my alley!

The high-IQ, thoughtful, caring, insightful, knowledgeable, and logical brainiacs (unhinged) who manage Registry sets, here and ATS, have all decided that the Jefferson Nickel sets (obscure) should go from 1938-1964, 1965 to present and 1938-present. Not a single Set Definition has a set that stops at 2003 (the 2004-2005/6 specialty sets don't count), while there are several Lincoln sets that stop at 2008. I'm sure it's just an oversight, and their comprehensive spreadsheet, database, neural network, statistical and AI update processes will soon correct this egregious oversight (more unhinged).

I'll pm you for my bonus points .... :D:D

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    The 1914-D uncirculated lincoln cent is such an overhyped and overpriced coin. The 1914-s unc lincoln is actually rarer in terms of slabs out there.

Not so sure I agree about the 14-D. Now the 31-S... That is borderline "common".

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 9:46AM

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Ok, here I go… ;)
    You know I really hate it when they call Apollo Dimes mercury dimes because Apollo came first and mercury was just copying they like come on fellows this is.

I think the only one bothered by Mercury dimes not being called Apollo dime is you. There are some who prefer the dimes be called Winged Liberty but the majority will still call them Mercury. I’ve called them that since I first heard them called anything and that’s going back to the 1950’s. I can honestly say that I’ve never heard those or any other US dime called an Apollo dime. Even google can’t find anything about them. Please elaborate and educate us.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

@braddick said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the woman in the miss liberty in a headdress design actually modeled after a Statue of Venus? I thought I read that somewhere many years ago.

I just read (thanks to Wikipedia) that Longacre said he designed Miss Liberty based on “Crouching Venus”, a statue in Philadelphia on loan from the Vatican.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    That the type 1 standing liberty quarter was redesigned because of public outrage over a bare breast. It was changed because MacNeil complained and it didn’t coin well. See “Facts, Mysteries, and Myths about US Coins” by Van Ryzin.

Was it outrage?
    On January 17 1917, the bare-breasted Standing Liberty Quarter finally entered circulation, and the outcry was immediate and loud. Religious leaders used words like "obscene" and "filthy" to describe the visage of our beautiful Miss Liberty with her right breast exposed. Citizens' groups rallied their memberships to lobby Congress to have the coin recalled. Congress had little choice but to submit to the clamor. The bare-breasted Liberty Quarters began disappearing from circulation.

However, the amount of influence generated by the public is open to speculation as well.
    Some historians indicate that public outcry was minuscule and had no effect on the upcoming redesign of the Standing Liberty Quarter. Other historians believe it was a major influence on the redesign of the Standing Liberty Quarter. Unfortunately, there is no solid evidence indicating which perspective is correct. Regardless of the reason, the altered design was inevitable.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here I go… ;)
    You know I really hate it when they call Apollo Dimes mercury dimes because Apollo came first and mercury was just copying they like come on fellows this is. The serios matter and do you know what I also hate I hate when they call Morgan dollars barber dollars because barber didn’t even design them and I don’t think she wants to cut your hair and the ghosts tell me that there was actuall 1873 S dollar coins and I can get they for a few hundred dollars but you fellows think otherwise and the ghost also said that my coin was fake but you really do have 2027 Pennies but then when I tried to publish my findings everyone said that I was a “wacko” I don’t even know what that means but I’m like dr Seuss because I go rejected by the publishers and then I got sent to a he “sike ward” by my family but then I dig out with my 2027
    Pennies. And now I’m writing this before my “court” “trial” Send prayers everyone.

Punctuations is super important LOL

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

Ok, here I go… ;)
    You know I really hate it when they call Apollo Dimes mercury dimes because Apollo came first and mercury was just copying they like come on fellows this is.

I think the only one bothered by Mercury dimes not being called Apollo dime is you. There are some who prefer the dimes be called Winged Liberty but the majority will still call them Mercury. I’ve called them that since I first heard them called anything and that’s going back to the 1950’s. I can honestly say that I’ve never heard those or any other US dime called an Apollo dime. Even google can’t find anything about them. Please elaborate and educate us.

Of course I call them Mercury dimes! I was just trying to sound as delusional as possible. :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@robec said:

Ok, here I go… ;)

Of course I call them Mercury dimes! I was just trying to sound as delusional as possible. :D

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems that many BM stores owners / employees think that the only major mint error coins are coins like the 3 legged buffalo or the 1955 double die.

It is ok that they have no clue whatsoever.

:):D:oB)>:)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    That the Mint immediately fixed the wear problem on the denomination of Buffalo nickels, but not the date.

Same issue with the $50 Buffalo gold coins. This will cause problems for those who collect them from circulation.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rant on an obscure coin fact? I suppose some would count teaching a 4-day class on VAMs in that category (even though at least a day isn't about VAMs).

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Seems that many BM stores owners / employees think that the only major mint error coins are coins like the 3 legged buffalo or the 1955 double die.

Neither of which are errors--major or otherwise. The 55 double die is at least a variety...the 3 legged buffalo isn't even a variety. It's exactly what a coin struck by that particular die in that particular stage of its life should look like after being over polished. See my rant above.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Why can’t we all agree that CAC does gold and anything else is just throwing mud at the wall?
    2. Why can’t the grading services straighten out the 1856 Flying Eagle MS vs. PR debacle?
    3. It’s not just about die markers. Matte proof Lincolns must have square rims and edges!
    4. 1804 dollars? It’s a fantasy piece. They weren’t even made in 1804!

… I’m sure if my brain worked better I could come up with more 😈

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-legged buffalo = 1845 no drapery half. They are easily dismissed in my mind. Even more easily if they're expensive.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 3:24AM

Oh, my Lord, where to start? OK, we all know about the famous numismatist who can NOT type NOT without putting it in ALL CAPS which I hate. Miss Liberty. Hey, how do we know she is a miss (or these days, whatever theyz pronouns are)? Maybe she's married? Why not Mrs. Liberty? We always hear about Liberty and Justice, maybe she's (theyz) really Mrs. Liberty Justice yaeverthinkaboutthat?

Plurals. Where to start? The number of people who don't know that the plural of Lincoln is Lincolns (not Lincoln's) simply astounds me. Yeah yeah, picky picky, there are people who do care and who form conclusions about you based on such things. Or thing's.

The plural of Kennedy is Kennedys. The plural of coin is coins. Not coin's. Grrrr.

PCGS pricing for BN Lincolns. Completely ridiculous.

The Mint introducing a gold Kennedy half into the series.

Silver quarters the size of dinner plates.

Professional news writer-reporters who manage to get every story about a numismatic piece or event completely wrong.

Don't get me started.

Oh, coins out of order coins out of order coins out of order.

(NEW ADDITION) Oh yeah, spending thousands of dollars on Trueviews that continuously disappear from the Digital Albums in our Registry Sets. Hello, PCGS, losing customers yet?

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Three coin commemorative coin programs. The mint can barely come up with one good obverse and one good reverse design.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭

“Why did the Mint Director throw out decades of archive records just because they were taking up space?”

• Roger W. Burdette
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

My limited experience with BM stores owners / employees don't know, understand or care about mint errors or varieties.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    My 1950-D nickel was supposed to be worth a fortune by now.

Don't feel back. I was thinking the same thing about my 1943 Steel Cent. :s:'(:D

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@braddick said:

@TurtleCat said:

Was it outrage?
    On January 17 1917, the bare-breasted Standing Liberty Quarter finally entered circulation, and the outcry was immediate and loud. Religious leaders used words like "obscene" and "filthy" to describe the visage of our beautiful Miss Liberty with her right breast exposed. Citizens' groups rallied their memberships to lobby Congress to have the coin recalled. Congress had little choice but to submit to the clamor. The bare-breasted Liberty Quarters began disappearing from circulation.

However, the amount of influence generated by the public is open to speculation as well.
    Some historians indicate that public outcry was minuscule and had no effect on the upcoming redesign of the Standing Liberty Quarter. Other historians believe it was a major influence on the redesign of the Standing Liberty Quarter. Unfortunately, there is no solid evidence indicating which perspective is correct. Regardless of the reason, the altered design was inevitable.

Three letters obtained by coin dealer Michael C. Annis in 1987 formed the basis of an article by this writer in a 1988 issue of Coins magazine, which explored the background of the artist and re-examined the story behind the quarter’s release, leading to the conclusion that the design change in 1917 was not due to public protest over nudity on the Type I quarter.1

On Jan. 11, 1917, shortly after the coins entered circulation, MacNeil wrote to Von Engelken complaining that the coins as issued had “a resemblance to” a design he made the prior spring, one that he later “changed and modified considerably” with approval of the Mint director and the Treasury secretary. He was therefore surprised to see this discarded early modeling on the quarter in circulation.6

McAdoo concluded, “I am sorry to have to ask for this change, but since the original dies were made the artist has found that they are not true to the original design and that a great improvement can be made in the artistic value and appearance of the coin by making the slight changes the act contemplates.”12

MacNeil apparently found all of the changes acceptable. In an Aug. 13, 1917, letter, he wrote to Mint Director R.S. Baber, “I am much pleased to get your announcement that the Quarter Dollar is lawfully back to an artistic basis and is now being minted.”13

Under the heading “Miss Liberty Now in a Gown of Mail?” the editorial in the same issue of The Numismatist did question the intention of the designer in placing Liberty in the new covering, wondering if it had anything to do with the country’s movement from a state of “preparedness” displayed on the initial design to one reflecting its subsequent entry into World War I.17

Beyond artistic considerations, the only other concern raised in House and Senate debate over the design change was the coin’s inability to properly stack.

• Options

Previous are excerpts from the book I cited.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really frosts me that that Barber dude was allowed to put himself on all those coins.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    the US Mint trying to make us believe "Miss Liberty" is on the barber coinage - we all know that's "Mister Liberty" :D

You beat me to it!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 3:26PM

@OKbustchaser said:
    Die states do not constitute varieties. Giving a worn/cracked die a fancy nickname (Bearded Goddess, single leaf reverse, etc) does not make the coin a separate variety--and they don't belong in the RedBook as such.

I disagree.
    The word "variety" is rather general, and it can have many possible definitions in the context of coins.
    I prefer to use it to describe anything that "looks different" from a general date - mint mark coin.
    So in my view, it covers both die marriages and die states.
    This makes it a more useful word, as a person can say "I collect die varieties" and imply both die marriages and die states.
    And late die states often look much more dramatically different than the usual date positions that define different obverse dies.

I am not familiar with all the older books that describe die marriages and die states, so it's possible that there is an earliest book which defines the word "variety" in the way you prefer.
    However, I do not consider an "earliest book" to have a monopoly on the definition of a general word.

Also, why is it wrong for the Red Book to include die states?
    Some of them look pretty interesting.
    I agree it is annoying when there are borderline die states like LIBEKTY and LIKERTY that are difficult to classify (especially in lower grades).

Nor does that die crack make the coin an error coin--simply an example of what a coin struck from that die at that particular point in the life of the die should look like. The error coin would be one from that state that DIDN"T exhibit the crack.

I agree with you here. Although it is also semantics, defining the word "error" in the context of coins.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half dime was discontinued as a favor to Joseph Wharton after Congress previously stated the United States Government was under no obligation to support any business operating on American soil.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heads and tails should equate to obverse and reverse but that would be too simple. This coin literally has a head on one side and horse tails on the other and yet the "tails" side is the one with the head on it. The reason is "something something striking something something": I'm pretty sure everyone is just making it up.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Heads and tails should equate to obverse and reverse but that would be too simple. This coin literally has a head on one side and horse tails on the other and yet the "tails" side is the one with the head on it.

I doubt the Romans even gave a crap :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@SmEagle1795 said:

IF this is an authentic ancient coin then the US Mint plagiarized the image on it for the Morgan dollar?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@SmEagle1795 said:
    Heads and tails should equate to obverse and reverse but that would be too simple. This coin literally has a head on one side and horse tails on the other and yet the "tails" side is the one with the head on it.

That's not a Roman coin. It's a Greek coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Well shiver me timbers - I should have known as I love making Moussaka!

• Options

@PerryHall said

I was just thinking of Charlton Heston kickin' butt in the Ben Hur movie......

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 6:52PM

It's almost in between, as it's from Syracuse, Sicily, which was a Greek colony at the time (443 BC); now part of Italy.

The cool dolphins circling the head were more closely imitated in the US by the $50 Pan-Pac octagonal

(which stole the head from another Greek coin, the Corinthian stater),

and the 1891(3) Reginald Huth private patterns also borrow the dolphins with a woman's head.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not worth it. Someone will take it as, Real or That's Impossible, and run with it.
    Then the miss remember factor comes into play, taking all the fun out of someone's fairy tales, twisting the perception of the author's delivery, for his or her own perception so too justify, something they feel needs to be brought to light, to make their own perception, being the correct intention, of the author's direction according to the delivery, of his or hers rant.

Say ahh !

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not a rant, that is pure lyricism. Damn, Emi can’t you follow instruction?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    It's not worth it. Someone will take it as, Real or That's Impossible, and run with it.
    Then the miss remember factor comes into play, taking all the fun out of someone's fairy tales, twisting the perception of the author's delivery, for his or her own perception so too justify, something they feel needs to be brought to light, to make their own perception, being the correct intention, of the author's direction according to the delivery, of his or hers rant.

Say ahh !

Emo eagle doesn't agree.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

My limited experience with BM stores owners / employees don't know, understand or care about mint errors or varieties.

Well, where do I start?

First, you need to find a new coin store that does understand what you love or…..cherry-pick the hell out of the local yokels that do not take the time to educate themselves.

BUT, in defense of brick and mortar stores like mine. Please excuse my use of caps here but I AM YELLING. WE ARE DAMN SICK AND TIRED OF FIELDING STUPID QUESTIONS ABOUT FICTITIOUS ERRORS THAT SOMEONE “LEARNED” ABOUT ON THE INTERNET! I can not tell you how much of my time is taken up with these get rich quick clickbait schemes. I understand REAL errors and welcome the opportunity to purchase neat errors but debunking mystery doubled dies is driving me crazy. Then, after you take the time to share your decades of experience with most of these millionaire hopefuls they want to argue with you using their hours of experience reading crap on the internet. Some get outright nasty and are a severe distraction to real customers. So, PLEASE buy a copy of the cherrypickers guide and READ the section on doubled dies versus strike doubling! I often copy the pages for the customer but am doubtful some of them can either read it or understand what they are reading. Most just don’t want to have a dose of reality thrust into their fantasy world of becoming a member of the rich and famous.

Take a minute and think about it. The chances of a new collector finding a fortune in pocket change after reading an article on the internet is about the same as being hit my a meteorite at the same time as being struck by a piece of space trash while you are celebrating the fact that you just won the lottery on your birthday on leap day.

I have to quit now as I’m out of breath……..back to evaluating Walmart parking lot discoveries.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1922 "No D, Strong Reverse" Lincoln Cent is a "die state." I can prove it. If I can ever get my book published I can show you an earlier "die state" of the same obverse die with a weak D that was subsequently polished away.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The 1922 "No D, Strong Reverse" Lincoln Cent is a "die state." I can prove it. If I can ever get my book published I can show you an earlier "die state" of the same obverse die with a weak D that was subsequently polished away.

Captain. That does not qualify for a RANT. It does qualify for great information though. Looking forward to your book.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file