Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your best unhinged rant you can give about an obscure coin fact?

2»

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Seems that many BM stores owners / employees think that the only major mint error coins are coins like the 3 legged buffalo or the 1955 double die.

It is ok that they have no clue whatsoever.

:):D:oB)>:)

My limited experience with BM stores owners / employees don't know, understand or care about mint errors or varieties.

Well, where do I start?

First, you need to find a new coin store that does understand what you love or…..cherry-pick the hell out of the local yokels that do not take the time to educate themselves.

BUT, in defense of brick and mortar stores like mine. Please excuse my use of caps here but I AM YELLING. WE ARE DAMN SICK AND TIRED OF FIELDING STUPID QUESTIONS ABOUT FICTITIOUS ERRORS THAT SOMEONE “LEARNED” ABOUT ON THE INTERNET! I can not tell you how much of my time is taken up with these get rich quick clickbait schemes. I understand REAL errors and welcome the opportunity to purchase neat errors but debunking mystery doubled dies is driving me crazy. Then, after you take the time to share your decades of experience with most of these millionaire hopefuls they want to argue with you using their hours of experience reading crap on the internet. Some get outright nasty and are a severe distraction to real customers. So, PLEASE buy a copy of the cherrypickers guide and READ the section on doubled dies versus strike doubling! I often copy the pages for the customer but am doubtful some of them can either read it or understand what they are reading. Most just don’t want to have a dose of reality thrust into their fantasy world of becoming a member of the rich and famous.

Take a minute and think about it. The chances of a new collector finding a fortune in pocket change after reading an article on the internet is about the same as being hit my a meteorite at the same time as being struck by a piece of space trash while you are celebrating the fact that you just won the lottery on your birthday on leap day.

I have to quit now as I’m out of breath……..back to evaluating Walmart parking lot discoveries.

Excellent synopsis! So you're telling us you're customer focused. LoL!!

Hey, you chose to be a dealer, not me. ;)

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

HEY US MINT AND CCAC - COMMEMORATE ACTUAL HISTORICAL EVENTS AND STOP TRYING TO SHOVE WOKE DESIGN THEMES AND CULTURAL MARXISM DOWN OUR THROATS UNDER THE GUISE OF "INTERPRETIVE MEANING"!!!!!!

/RANT

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 11:25AM

Now that's a rant! :p

A lot of the others are just bellyaches and whines. :*

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1962 at the age of 9, I was furiously looking for 1960 BAR O nickels. Each one I found cost me a Snickers.
    Now at the age of 70, each Snickers cost me 25 of those nickels.
    Where did I go wrong?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

A snicker cost $1.25 now?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@emeraldATV said:
    It's not worth it. Someone will take it as, Real or That's Impossible, and run with it.
    Then the miss remember factor comes into play, taking all the fun out of someone's fairy tales, twisting the perception of the author's delivery, for his or her own perception so too justify, something they feel needs to be brought to light, to make their own perception, being the correct intention, of the author's direction according to the delivery, of his or hers rant.

Say ahh !

Emo eagle doesn't agree.

Looks like Karen the Eagle.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1964 SMS coins supposedly exist. Additional ranting about what they sell for, would be unhinged.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 1:05PM

@messydesk said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@emeraldATV said:
    It's not worth it. Someone will take it as, Real or That's Impossible, and run with it.
    Then the miss remember factor comes into play, taking all the fun out of someone's fairy tales, twisting the perception of the author's delivery, for his or her own perception so too justify, something they feel needs to be brought to light, to make their own perception, being the correct intention, of the author's direction according to the delivery, of his or hers rant.

Say ahh !

Emo eagle doesn't agree.

This is Karen. She wants to see the manager.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

That newly minted coins are somehow "monetized". What a bunch of baloney. This is a term a bunch of lawyers contrived once upon a time to get out of one particular messy situation. Somehow this term fastened itself to the brainstems of numismatists everywhere.

Coins are acceptable instruments of commerce from the moment they're struck. No special ceremony or accounting gymnastics are needed before they're officially "ready to go."

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    the US Mint trying to make us believe "Miss Liberty" is on the barber coinage - we all know that's "Mister Liberty" :D

I always thought it was a man. :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2023 6:38AM

I’ve written about this before. Why the hell did they leave Paul Revere’s name off the Delaware quarter and put his horse’s name?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    My 1950-D nickel was supposed to be worth a fortune by now.

We were also all supposed to have flying cars by now...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Overdate said:

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Overdate said:

They’re in a warehouse ready to go- just need to sort out whether they need to be approved by the federal highway commission or the federal aviation department. Should only take 10 years to figure out, but what do I know. I never thought there would be electronic money.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Overdate said:

We're too busy trying to learn how to wash our hands to worry about flying cars.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

60 percent of the world's population — 4.5 billion people — either have no toilet at home or one that doesn't safely manage human waste.
    Nearly 900 million people still practice open defecation. That means going into fields, forests, open bodies of water, or other open spaces instead of using a toilet.
    I think the road to inventing flying cars is placed on hold.

Rebirth. Renewal. Transformation.

• Options

PENNIES ARE STUPID! WE DON'T NEED THEM. THEY SHOULD STOP MAKING THEM, ALL TRANSACTIONS CAN BE ROUNDED TO THE NEAREST 1/20TH OF A DOLLAR. WHY MAKE COINS IN SUCH SMALL DENOMINATION! THEY WASTE TAXPAYERS' MONEY MAKING THESE WORTHLESS DENOMINATION COINS. I HAVENT PAID FOR ANYTHING IN PENNIES IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY ZINC PILLS!

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Don't feel back. I was thinking the same thing about my 1943 Steel Cent. :s:'(:D

Ha ya I remember this too and thought "Where the Franklin did they get those prices?" But it looks like it's fixed in the 2024 book ;-)

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger that @lsica! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

No official Whitman’s guide to United States Mint medals. They have been around since the 30s sooooo?

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Unhinged rant", we used to have a Forum for that. :p

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@messydesk said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@emeraldATV said:

Say ahh !

Emo eagle doesn't agree.

This is Karen. She wants to see the manager.

Thats gonna be one of the 2024 quarter reverses...

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

People keep calling the frigging 1988 low initials cent a bloody wide AM.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sanddollar said:

60 percent of the world's population — 4.5 billion people — either have no toilet at home or one that doesn't safely manage human waste.
    Nearly 900 million people still practice open defecation. That means going into fields, forests, open bodies of water, or other open spaces instead of using a toilet.
    I think the road to inventing flying cars is placed on hold.

I see no reason why people defecating in fields prevents my having a flying car. >:)

I can land my car in a field and poop there. 💩

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

That "Constitutional" silver is actually 89.24% pure (the fitness of the first US Federal Silver Coins) and that the 90% standard was the result of Time Traveling So-Shill-Us"t's taking over the minds and bodies of an 1837 Congress 😉

Philately will get you nowhere....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file