Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where's the love for Vintage Hockey? (Opening Night 2023/24 The Official Vintage Hockey Thread)

13»

Comments

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Perhaps, the goalie for the biggest upset of all time might qualify.....

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Thanks! I started stacking Price cards before the Habs went on that crazy Cup run. Had a feeling he wasn't done yet (sure is now). Picked up stuff like YG Exclusive, low numbered Ultra's, the OPC /25 and /100, Ultimate /100, etc etc. All quite cheap for how popular a player he is/was.

If only MTL had a decent team during his great stretches., I think he could have been an all time great but alas they never built around him, and the one Cup run Kreider that tool, took him out.

Nice pickup! I was debating picking up that card a few years ago but that ship has sailed….

Not sure if you’ve ever seen Adjusted Hockeys HOF PPS system. Your post made me look up Price. He predicts 1st ballot in 2025.

Kevin

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    A few more tough HOF pre-rookies:

I'm genuinely glad I started this thread. Looking at a bunch of these old, early career cards makes me appreciate them and decided to keep an eye out to snag some myself. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t seen that. I have both Price and Weber as easy first ballots.

Weber was a top 3 defender for like 12 years and its a joke he never won the Norris. Guy was leading that Nashville team in scoring AND was the best defensive player in the league. He has 10 seasons as good as the ones that saw Subban and Doughty win a Norris.

@LOTSOS said:

@80sOPC said:
    Thanks! I started stacking Price cards before the Habs went on that crazy Cup run. Had a feeling he wasn't done yet (sure is now). Picked up stuff like YG Exclusive, low numbered Ultra's, the OPC /25 and /100, Ultimate /100, etc etc. All quite cheap for how popular a player he is/was.

If only MTL had a decent team during his great stretches., I think he could have been an all time great but alas they never built around him, and the one Cup run Kreider that tool, took him out.

Nice pickup! I was debating picking up that card a few years ago but that ship has sailed….

Not sure if you’ve ever seen Adjusted Hockeys HOF PPS system. Your post made me look up Price. He predicts 1st ballot in 2025.

• Options

Very cool racks, quite rare.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

From my Roy PC, I have a few others from the 80's that I don't have any scans of. Working on building a PSA graded HOF collection from 1980 on.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

Love the Roy rook and that Dryden is insane.

Picked this Dryden up recently:

• Options

I have the 86 Roy postcard autographed. Old man worked in government and Roys dad was a cabinet minister. Unfortunately didn’t take care of it very well, great card!

• Options

@54topps said:
    My 3 favorite hockey racks. Not for sale by the way :)
    1981 OPC Kurri on top Gretzky on the back.

Francis top and Turgeon and Nieuwendyk on the back.

Hull and Neely on back

How did you resist not ripping into them for the 8 seconds of bubble gum flavor?

Great packs!

Mark

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@54topps said:
    My 3 favorite hockey racks. Not for sale by the way :)
    1981 OPC Kurri on top Gretzky on the back.

Francis top and Turgeon and Nieuwendyk on the back.

Hull and Neely on back

hey 54topps,
    Awesome Racks.... :)

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Love the Roy rook and that Dryden is insane.

Picked this Dryden up recently:

Beauty Card that looks undergraded! Can't go wrong with 1971 OPC centered Dryden rookies..

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's some more pictures of the Orr I just got.
    Beginning to think that this might be one of my luckiest pick ups in a while.
    Card measures correctly, Don't see surface issues.
    Any guesses on a grade?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Any guesses on a grade?

I love the card. Definitely something I would scoop up, especially in person at a show. Is there a indent over Bobby's right shoulder?(Full shot - bottom pic) Was probably at least an 8 all day long previously. Grade opinions? Who knows in today's world. Does PSA give this card anything better than a 7 in today's market? SGC 8 to 8.5?

I actually sent off a few vintage baseball to SGC recently... kind of given up on PSA for the time being for a host of reasons. I figured the drop in value between the 2 TPG services can be made up in a saner condition opinion. Also, I could always crack out and send off later to PSA if sanity returns.

Mark

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Any guesses on a grade?

I love the card. Definitely something I would scoop up, especially in person at a show. Is there a indent over Bobby's right shoulder?(Full shot - bottom pic) Was probably at least an 8 all day long previously. Grade opinions? Who knows in today's world. Does PSA give this card anything better than a 7 in today's market? SGC 8 to 8.5?

I actually sent off a few vintage baseball to SGC recently... kind of given up on PSA for the time being for a host of reasons. I figured the drop in value between the 2 TPG services can be made up in a saner condition opinion. Also, I could always crack out and send off later to PSA if sanity returns.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback.
    I was thinking 7, hoping for 8 and expecting a 5-6.
    Just a beautiful card!
    Centering is great, there is a small tilt, but to me, it's fine.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Orr look like an 8 or an 8.5. Good luck! Keep us posted.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@mark_dak said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Any guesses on a grade?

Mark

Thanks for the feedback.
    I was thinking 7, hoping for 8 and expecting a 5-6.
    Just a beautiful card!
    Centering is great, there is a small tilt, but to me, it's fine.

Agree with you completely. Good luck if you ship it off.

Mark

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@mark_dak said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agree with you completely. Good luck if you ship it off.

Mark

>
    Thanks Mark!

@shagrotn77 said:
    Orr look like an 8 or an 8.5. Good luck! Keep us posted.

OMG an 8.5! Thanks.

I'll be sending it in this winter when I can't work on my outdoor projects.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming no surface issues, looks like a solid PSA 8 from the pics. Might be some slight chipping on the bottom edge, otherwise looks super clean. Beautiful card!

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning card, Joe.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    Stunning card, Joe.

Thank you, once in a while you get just what you want for a great price!

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Any guesses on a grade?

I don't know if it's Bobby Orr specific with toughness on the grading, but I had an almost identical copy 7 years ago that I sent in that came back a 6.5. Under a loupe I found nothing wrong, other than one corner that had slight touching on it. Centering was dead on L-R and about 70-30 T-B on the front. Back centering was similar too. I couldn't believe it when it came back. I'll have to see if I still have a picture of it somewhere. Your copy looks incredible, congrats on the pickup.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

@rmh111985 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Any guesses on a grade?

I don't know if it's Bobby Orr specific with toughness on the grading, but I had an almost identical copy 7 years ago that I sent in that came back a 6.5. Under a loupe I found nothing wrong, other than one corner that had slight touching on it. Centering was dead on L-R and about 70-30 T-B on the front. Back centering was similar too. I couldn't believe it when it came back. I'll have to see if I still have a picture of it somewhere. Your copy looks incredible, congrats on the pickup.

Thanks, I was thinking PSA 7, but with grading being what it seems right now, who can say?

VERY happy with the card!