Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Books on World Coins

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2023 7:54AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

My US coin library is pretty deep across the board. Everything from grading, counterfeit detection, Buffs, Morgans, and IHC's.

Aside from the Krause publications, what are your favorite world coin resources?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you start getting into specialties at this point. Like ancient coins or coins from the Middle Ages, colonial coins. Do you have a target area you’re interested in?

• Options

Thinking graded world gold or Silver Dollar equivalent.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an area I haven’t looked into much. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the sources are in non-English languages.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to feel most countries have some book specializing in country or area.

I have a couple by Charlton on Canada

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard about this cool book by a cool dude called 'By Weight, Not by Coyne - An Introduction to Chopmarked Coins'

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are hundreds of books available and dedicated to most areas. The World market is much more expansive than the US market so there isn’t one book to rule them all.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 1:52PM

@yspsales said:
    Thinking graded world gold or Silver Dollar equivalent.

How about books on Great Britain coinage. There are tons of books on that countries coinage.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    I heard about this cool book by a cool dude called 'By Weight, Not by Coyne - An Introduction to Chopmarked Coins'

From a third party, this truly is a fantastic book. While it is of course focusing on chopmarks, it gives an overview of the history and minting process of many, many silver coins from many parts of the world and time frames. It's a fantastically written and approachable book containing a lot of information about world coins before the reader needs to decide to drill down to a specific type or country (and get a more specific book)

By Weight, Not by Coyne: An Introduction to Chopmarked Coins https://a.co/d/13qbrsm

• Options

Oh crap... wrong area of forum

Thanks for the information.

Ebay is world coin book nirvana

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 1:52PM

Mexico is pretty well covered same as many Latin American countries but the books can be hard to locate since many only had a few hundred published. If you have any questions just ask I can give you a list of books depending on the series. But like I said there may be none at the moment for sale.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 1:51PM

Another interesting country is Russia with the roubles. I don't know of any books maybe someone here can help. The series I like the most are from Peter the great and up to later 1700's.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

For world crowns, a set of Davenport catalogs would be very useful.

For world gold, Friedberg is a great start.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I dabble in Russian coinage from 1917 to 1991 and there are many excellent books but are all in Russian.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are hundreds or even thousands of books and millions of coin types, 2500 years since coins are minted all around the world. I made a book about a hundred different coin types made for Isle of Man, a little island, ONLY IN 1984! So you must be more specific.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@1984worldcoins said:
    There are hundreds or even thousands of books and millions of coin types, 2500 years since coins are minted all around the world. I made a book about a hundred different coin types made for Isle of Man, a little island, ONLY IN 1984! So you must be more specific.

I’m confused. Tell me more about your Isle of Man book. What does 1984 has to do with it?