Options

Been years since my last post but this is warranted

Comments

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 5:56PM

@georgebailey2 said:

@Chargers49ersLakers said:
    That Gibson had a hamster take a bite out of it. Must have lined the cage. Hey, is just me, it seems all the under grades of pre 1990 cards is a PSA 5. This thread is full of PSA 5's. Mine also is a PSA 5. PSA 5 must be the max an older card can get. Cool.

PSA Chaz -1

PSA Authentic
    Altered

chaz

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

We're dealing with Cardboard for God's sake.

chaz

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered NFT

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

The Bob Gibson is a disaster, PSA. PSA needs to buy this card up and put it in an authentic or burn it

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

PSA can’t excuse that Gibson away

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

The > @BBBrkrr said:

This is on a Heritage auction right now...

I've heard of dog eared. Now I've seen mice chewed eared.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Bonds is NICE. Congrats on that one.

I just submitted about 8 of those (not Tiffany though) in the 80s special and was happy they all came back 8/9 (mostly 9s).

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    That Bonds is NICE. Congrats on that one.

I just submitted about 8 of those (not Tiffany though) in the 80s special and was happy they all came back 8/9 (mostly 9s).

thanks. I lucked into the whole set at one of those antique malls. paid $15 for it! I would have sent in the Bo but it had a verticle print line going through the gloss. I am sure it would have gotten hammered for that.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I’ve got set cases of Tiffany 84-88 w traded. I’ve considered cracking a few but scared to death right now

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@Harnessracing said:
    I’ve got set cases of Tiffany 84-88 w traded. I’ve considered cracking a few but scared to death right now

I just got back my 80's sub. I included five 87 Tiffany's from a set I cracked and subbed. In the past I had gotten 10's from that set of Barry Bonds, Nolan Ryan, and Greg Maddux (I know it's different sets).

I pulled the five sharpest stars, got 4 9's and an 8. I don't expect all 10's, but I thought at least one if not a few of those would hit. A few other straight from pack stars I pulled got 8's and 9's. There were a couple 7s mixed in to. I subbed most of them with intent to sell. If I break even I'll be happy.

It's brutal out there.

• Options

That’s why I’m going to drive the cases to BBCE and get the sets wrapped FASC I think

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a pack fresh clean white paper stock 80-81 Topps Pin up Bullets and saw that Probstein listed a set break of PSA graded Pin ups. The Bullets is a PSA 9 like the others, so I check the pics.
    Front looks...ok I guess even though the left edge is not cut straight.
    But the back?!

This is a 9? With the paper this discolored?
    That means mine would all be 10s, no doubt. (not that I would pay $75ea to get them graded)

• Options

The Ripken has a stain on the border and the corner is rounded. I know it's probably like that because its from a factory set but that one is pretty bad.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 3:43AM

The Yaz may suffer from the same problem. I'm curious is AI is the one grading the surface and just nailing it.

• Options

Patriot Trading- I believe is spot on. While PSA has been harder than any time that I can remember, they are just not letting the small stuff through like before. That PSA 5 1969 Yaz is hard to stomach because it looks amazing. I think it could be in a PSA 7 if you play the game.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1954 said:
    Patriot Trading- I believe is spot on. While PSA has been harder than any time that I can remember, they are just not letting the small stuff through like before. That PSA 5 1969 Yaz is hard to stomach because it looks amazing. I think it could be in a PSA 7 if you play the game.

Even if that was the case it's still a big change in how they are grading. It just doesn't jive with the grading standards we had all gone off for over 20 years. If they want to be harder then change the grading standards to match.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

Those tiny imperfections never resulted in that low of grades in the past and shouldn't now.

For sure. I posted that Ripken because it's not even consistent with the other 84 D Ripkens I submitted in the 80s specials (the rest were 9/10). I assumed all would be 7-9 (I currently have 9s in my collection with more flaws than that card).

It's not that the card didn't have flaws. It's that the standards seem to have changed recently, and are also inconsistent on vintage (I don't know about modern since I don't do those).

If those two minor imperfections mean it's a 5 then how much variety would be in a 1-4? How would anyone ever even get an 8 or 9?

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Can anyone chime in from recent experience if their MTG or Pokemon cards are getting graded as harshly as vintage?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 332 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:
    Can anyone chime in from recent experience if their MTG or Pokemon cards are getting graded as harshly as vintage?

Not even close

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:
    The Ripken has a stain on the border and the corner is rounded. I know it's probably like that because its from a factory set but that one is pretty bad.

Are you justifying the 5 grade? Saying that 1 corner is "pretty bad"?
    Is that a "stain" or a print mark?
    Standard definition for an 8 is "slightest fraying of 1 or 2 corners, and a minor printing imperfection"
    You think the factory rounded corner (not wear) deserves 3 grades worse than a slightly frayed 1 or 2 corners?

• Options
    RTBrandRTBrand Posts: 18 ✭✭

Great Thread. The other thread about the SGC crossover results might even be better. I have been sending in vintage cards to PSA to grade for 30 years. I have seen mild fluctuations in grading severity over the years that could be attributed to individual grader subjectivity, i.e. it depends on which grader you get. However, what is going on now is an across the board change in grading severity. This year, every grading order for me seemed to have been graded by the grader from hail, but that would not be realistic. The main points coming out of this thread is also what I am seeing and receiving: any minor print spot defect is now a PSA 5. PSA 5 is now PSA's favorite grade for vintage. It might be a combination of using Genamint/AI to assist in grading and inexperienced graders. But the latter would not explain consistent undergrading.

These threads are important to communicate to PSA that we do not appreciate the about-face in grading standards after 30 years of relatively stable grading standards. I just listed and (unfortunately) sold a recently graded PSA 5 (of course) 1958 Topps Willie Mays that in my mind was a solid 7 and possibly at worst a 6 (on a bad day or a harsh grader) for the price of a high-end 5. It has minor white print in the blue background that is very common for this card. I have seen older PSA 7s with the same print issue but with lesser corners and centering. I am pretty sure from what I have been reading someone off of this forum gobbled that one up and will crack and resubmit to SGC and good for him/her. I would have done the same if I had read this thread earlier and realized this was happening to others and not just me. The thread is great but I don't agree with the comments that the 84 Donruss Ripken and 69 Topps Yaz cards were graded correctly at PSA 5 because of very minor print imperfections. Both deserved an 8 or maybe a 7.5 based on previous PSA standards. Also most of the other examples shown in this thread were also cards graded too low in my opinion.

RTBrand
  • Options

Pokemon, agreed, not even close. Its a little different in the sense that you can have a round corner and get a 10. 😄 There its more chipping on the reverse or if its a foil scratching. Naturally if it was played you get very visible wearing. But think with Pokemon the centering is usually reasonably there so quite often fresh out of the pack you have a solid chance of a 9 or 10 most of the time. Attaching a few Disney Lorcana TCG cards. I felt they looked like 10s. 3 out of 4 were. Older stuff my feeling about what they are and what they will grade at is much different. I had some 87 Tiffanys too that I felt were close to perfect that were 8s. Like 51 49 centering and sharp corners. I just couldn't see the logic behind it. I was submitting 1984 Nestle that I was cutting with a blade and not too many 10s and its like look I know the corners and edges are as blazing sharp as it gets. I use a caliper to ensure the centering is as close to 50 as possible. But super hard to pull a Gem Mint there. Squint and find a print dot and its an 8.

Saw this article/offering and found it fascinating. COMC will review your brand new cards for $5 to tell you if they are Mint or Gem Mint. Its like yeah okay, no thanks. But that is where we are. People can look at a new card and decide in 20 seconds what they are dealing with. No surface wrinkles bumps paint chipping. They say they wont look at anything 2000 or older and I think its similar to PSA. They probably feel they can hand 100 Pokemon or Panini Prizm cards to a 25-year-old with some brief training and they can pound the grades out within 45 minutes and net $1500 or $1900. That 52 Eddie Mathews they need to spend a little more time with. Not great business for them and probably not too appealing. They have 5000 fish in a barrel over here. Why go out into the lake in the boat to see if you can catch that one?

https://blog.comc.com/2023/10/10/grade-with-confidence-using-the-comc-pre-grade-service/

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2023 2:55PM

The problem with “letting the small stuff thru like before” is 5 years ago 8 is not the same as last weeks 8. The product is damaged. That comment tells me that if a last week 8 sells for $100, I shouldn’t pay anywhere near that for a 5 year old 8 because “the small stuff could of gotten thru”
    It’s black and white. Are we now going to see price guides for early grades against 10 yr old grades against last week grades? They have damaged there product by changing the grading standards. They will never admit it. They will just say, we are as always following out grading standards. We know that’s not true

• Options

Is AI being used i.e via the acquisition of gemint technology company??...seems AI be better suited for modern cards and not vintage unless someone knows how to program the "Artificial Eyes"...I like my crabmeat, sugar etc to be real and not artificial :s

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though as Dave (paulmaul) posted earlier, there have been some clunkers in 9 holders, too, so are the grading standrads entirely harsher or just less consistent due to inexperienced graders overall?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 332 ✭✭✭

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    Is AI being used i.e via the acquisition of gemint technology company??...seems AI be better suited for modern cards and not vintage unless someone knows how to program the "Artificial Eyes"...I like my crabmeat, sugar etc to be real and not artificial :s

I am almost certain that Genamint can't actually grade a card. Maybe it can measure for specs, but there is no way that the actual grading is being done by a machine.

• Options

@AANV said:

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:

I am almost certain that Genamint can't actually grade a card. Maybe it can measure for specs, but there is no way that the actual grading is being done by a machine.

It shouldn’t be grading cards. IMO. Inputting millions of variables and scenarios can’t be done overnight…

• Options
    RTBrandRTBrand Posts: 18 ✭✭

I hope this thread doesn't die to soon because for many a major component of collecting now is to rely on accurate accepted grading standards that do not change over time especially after 30 years of basically excepted standards regardless of technology.

RTBrand
  • Options

That bottom corner is not consistent with the others. It very well could be the grader didn't care where it came from. They graded that corner like it was rounded and they wouldn't be wrong for it. I mean, there is no angle to measure if you had to. But alas, I'm no grader, it does no good to take out your aggression on me.

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

Standard definition for an 8 is "slightest fraying of 1 or 2 corners, and a minor printing imperfection"
    You think the factory rounded corner (not wear) deserves 3 grades worse than a slightly frayed 1 or 2 corners?

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:
    That bottom corner is not consistent with the others. It very well could be the grader didn't care where it came from. They graded that corner like it was rounded and they wouldn't be wrong for it. I mean, there is no angle to measure if you had to. But alas, I'm no grader, it does no good to take out your aggression on me.

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

Sorry you feel asking questions is being aggressive. I mistakenly assumed you'd be proud to defend your opinion.
    So you're saying that one "pretty bad" corner and a "stain" (printing imperfection?) constitutes a 5 grade.
    I find this to be very telling as to why some of the grades are leaving the grading room 2-3 grades below expected.
    Yours, and the grader's viewpoints seem to differ from the standard definitions of grading.
    I thank you for your perspective, and I hope your feelings weren't hurt too bad as I refrained from asking you any further questions.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Guess the grade. Oh wait, this was one of my recent graded 75s….just looked through them for the first time..won’t sell any, going to my grave lol.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow……

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the small brown circle stains on the name "rivers" front of the card?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@belz said:
    Guess the grade. Oh wait, this was one of my recent graded 75s….just looked through them for the first time..won’t sell any, going to my grave lol.

I'm assuming they dinged you for the smudged surface around Mickey's name (common with this card) but a 5 is is still rather harsh.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@belz said:

I'm assuming they dinged you for the smudged surface around Mickey's name (common with this card) but a 5 is is still rather harsh.

Right on, back in the day eye appeal had more play when I subbed these…psa 7 or 8 easy back in the day.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have grade 8(ST) or 6 with no qualifiers.

• Options

Ebay listing I was interested in until I zoomed the pic.
    I don't know if those spots are on the case or card.
    Also can't tell if the upper left corner is fuzzy or a spot on the case.
    If it's the case, strange the seller wouldn't clean it.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    Ebay listing I was interested in until I zoomed the pic.
    I don't know if those spots are on the case or card.
    Also can't tell if the upper left corner is fuzzy or a spot on the case.
    If it's the case, strange the seller wouldn't clean it.

Fugly looking

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way those are on the card. you can see with the two 'chunks' at the top, they go out further than the card. Could also be a really dirty scanner. If I were selling a PSA 10, I would want to shoe it in it's best light.

Daniel
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the seller blew chunks onto the scanner before scanning the card.

• Options

That Mickey Rivers card looks amazing. Perhaps a wrinkle is the only explanation for a PSA 5, however if you got a 5 without a wrinkle, my two invoices (175 cards) at PSA are screwed.

• Options

I used to love Mickey back in the day. Dude was so cool.

That card is a beautiful 5. They really need to bring a bit of 'eye test' back into their grading.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

That card is a beautiful 5. They really need to bring a bit of 'eye test' back into their grading.

The collectors Voice will be heard and weighed in on "artificial eyes" verses "real human eyes"...personally I prefer real human eye judgement ESPECIALLY on pre 1990 cardboard...maybe artificial eyes on post 2000 cards...rock on folks!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

Agree 100%. He would walk to home plate like Fred Sanford and beat out a grounder to short. He also had the following quotes that I remember off the top of my head:

"I like the 2nd half of the season more because the 2nd half of the season is shorter."

"It's so cold out there I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking."

"My goals for this season are to hit .300, score 100 runs, and stay injury prone."

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2023 10:20PM

Stop already, I have zero feelings invested. You're the one that posted that garbage. I'm just telling you like it is. Whining about it does nothing. Do yourself a favor and buy a 10x loupe or keep wasting money sending sh*t cards. Haha

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

Sorry you feel asking questions is being aggressive. I mistakenly assumed you'd be proud to defend your opinion.
    So you're saying that one "pretty bad" corner and a "stain" (printing imperfection?) constitutes a 5 grade.
    I find this to be very telling as to why some of the grades are leaving the grading room 2-3 grades below expected.
    Yours, and the grader's viewpoints seem to differ from the standard definitions of grading.
    I thank you for your perspective, and I hope your feelings weren't hurt too bad as I refrained from asking you any further questions.