Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hi all. Do you think PCGS got this wrong ? I do. I sent this 2017 D Penny for grading with an erro

I believe this Penny is a Red coin not a Brown coin. Maybe cause of some spots a Red Brown. But not a Brown. Also I believe it's higher than a AU 58. I being it to be at least a MS 63 to MS 65. Plus the big thing . They didn't give it an error designation, which I sent it in for also. The obverse of this coin has either a piece of screen or fabric ? Something imprinted into the whole obverse when coin was pressed. It's so damm obvious. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Please.

Answers

• Options

Did you expand the picture and see the error ? That's the only reason I even considered to send it. The criss cross pattern ?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should seek advice about which coins to submit for grading and about what an error is. I agree with Fred's assessment above, not that he needs my validation.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at that pattern, or lack thereof. There is no pattern to those lines, they are random. Cloth or fabric of any kind would never have a random pattern. Instantly you then think what caused the lines, and staining or environmental damage comes to mind.
    bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred got it right.

The coin is not an error coin. It is stained.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

let's say it is a ms63rd. value? 1 cent.

you can see a mark into the coin o his shoulder. that is contrasted with the criss-cross pattern that is only on the surface of the coin. stained.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome,

Your grading fee is a cheap "tuition" in coin collecting. As you have heard from some pretty serious coin experts, don't take any of the responses personally. Many of us have spent a higher tuition than a single grading fee.

I'm quite sure PCGS does make mistakes from time to time but for the most part they do generally get things right. Good luck and don't let this deter you from enjoying the hobby in the future.

Mark

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! You have the Top Pop 2017 D BN Lincoln Cent. In fact yours is the only one, 1/0.
    Cool looking toning too.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

you can see a mark into the coin o his shoulder. that is contrasted with the criss-cross pattern that is only on the surface of the coin. stained.

Actually, the value is less than 1 cent, because would have to crack it out of the holder to get 1 cent.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe one cent now but stash it for 1000 years and you might be surprised of its value.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Actually, the value is less than 1 cent, because would have to crack it out of the holder to get 1 cent.

Not so sure. Someone will need a Lincoln Shield cent in 58 for their Everyman type set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file