Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wasting away in Stephenville … a story of CBH’s ... still going!

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2023 7:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Okay, if you know me, and you knew I won “way too many” lots in this sale, you probably also knew that eventually, I was going to tell a tale. Not everything I know, or the whole backstory as I know it, but maybe little bits and pieces.

To the seller … if he should read this ... thank you! I owe you a beer. And I will gladly buy you a good one should we find ourselves in the same place at the same time. Maybe two if I like you. The opportunity to buy what I was able to buy in this sale, was probably a once in a decade chance for me (for which I have had two such occasions in the last 12 months).

Anyway, after two weeks of anticipation, last night the box with my winnings was showing at the FedEx office, and after confirming it was indeed there, I scooted my butt over there and grabbed it before closing.

When I tell you “way too many”, the number of CBH’s in the box was in the double digits, which, especially with some of these, is far too many to process and fully appreciate in one sitting. Sensory overload, for sure!

But alas, I looked at every one, thrilled I extended myself and kept a few out to admire late into the night before stashing them away.

Let’s start with just one and I will update this thread with a new entry every day or two until you guys are sick of the thread, or I run out of new coins and stories to post from this sale.

Let’s back up a little … last January, while I was intently trying to figure out which coins I should buy from a big for sale list I was given from my good friend @lkeigwin , the FUN show was just about to start, and there were a few coins in Sheridan Downey’s MB#55 I was admiring as well, ready to pony up some money to obtain.

Lance got a good chunk of the set aside money from me (and I got some fantastic coins!), and I focused on two coins in MB#55 that I really wanted.

One such coin I was Lot #60, a handsome 1809 O-102 XXX Edge in P55cac. The coin had captured my attention, and I wanted her. Back and forth I went, calculating my bid, and then, as the internet bidding closed, I was the high bidder.

Eureka!

Or not.

As some of you may know, Sheridan also accepts “Mail Bid” sheets up until the Internet closes, and then tabulates the final bid over the next hour or so, before posting the official winner.

Well crap. I was the underbidder.

Many expletives came forth from my mouth, none to be repeated here.

Alas.

Fast forward to early September, I see a coin that looks vaguely familiar in a HA auction I have just started to study. Stephenville. Huh. No clue.

Wait.

I know this coin. Hold on.

I ran the certification number. For whatever reason I am still not sure of (many more than one coin in this sale was affected), no previous sale.

But I know this coin. I really need to see better images.

And then it hit me. I immediately went to Sheridan’s site. Son of a gun. There she was, again! And believe me, HA’s images, as much as I understand them, are no match for the images that guy that helps Sheridan does!

And then, as things started to become even clearer than even the best images, as I started to realize this wasn’t the only coin in the sale I had seen recently.

Now, if you think I agonized over numbers in January, you have no idea what these revelations did to me this time around!
But, by the time two Mondays ago came around, I was ready.

I left work early … got home 15 minutes before the opening lot went off, set a couple proxy bids, and made sure I was ready.

By this time, @pnies20 and I are texting. He’s so funny sometimes. We need to record a webcast of us doing a live auction sometime. Some of the things we texted were hilarious. I can't even imagine if we'd have been on a Zoom! I’ve never had so much fun participating in an auction!

Anyway the first lot up for me is the 1809 O-102. By this time though, the prices we are watching seem low.

I text, “If this is the only one I win, I’ll be happy”.

My proxy bids one increment …

… and holds.

Holy Guacamole! WooHoo!!

I had just won this beauty for $1,200. less than I was prepared to pay last year.

And the rest of the auction got even MORE interesting!!

watch for updates to this thread soon

Here she is … credit to @lkeigwin for the amazing images! Man, what a lovely coin in hand!!

1809 O-102 (102.1), PCGS AU55cac

Formerly MB55, Lot#60 where was described as such by the venerable Sheridan Downey; "An absolutely charming example of this scarce Red Book variety. Lovely pearl-grey toning sparkles with luster. The O.102 is a common die pair, but only early die states appear with the Experimental XXX Edge. The coin is everything you expect and hope for in a CAC approved AU55."

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin and an awesome write-up can't wait for future installments!

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow… that is one gorgeous bustie!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the skin on that one 👍

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1200 less...
    Damn man that is way cool...

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2023 8:52PM

LETS GOOOOOOOO 💪🏻

Just to actually add something of substance:

I was pretty dialed in on this auction. Knew almost every coin’s provenance and what they probably looked like in hand. Totally whiffed on this ‘21. Such a great series of collectors have owned it and it’s spectacular.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see why you were happy to snag these two. Well done.

Mark

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful! I hope I'm not bidding against you in tomorrow's Stack's sale :-)

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just plain OUTSTANDING!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man… those surfaces on the 1809 are perfect. Congrats!

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

oofhnehsvsnkcbfgwtajnxkcoev

...that's all I can say...

Great job my friend, these coins you have your eye set on are outstanding. Keep it up!

@habaraca and I will stick to the parking lot damaged coins.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are two beautiful Ladies, @pursuitofliberty

They couldn't be in better hands. Congrats and enjoy.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pliny the elder would be proud of your storytelling. And doing your homework really pays off. Excellent acquisitions!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome storytelling and awesome coins.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are beautiful but these stories are awesome! This auction sounds like so much fun. Thanks for taking the time to do the writeups for us.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two great coins, congrats! Can't wait to see the rest of your acquisitions.

Doug

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Great wins, congrats. Looking forward to seeing more.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning coins Buddy....So glad you bagged them! I know you appreciate and love them!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck is going on??
    My take away... sell with SD.
    Do your buying out in the wild!

More amazing coins Todd.. no need to come up for air 😂

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a believer that having coins such as this just presented as a clinical grade and Overton number does them a great disservice....hence the bargain basement prices when compared to a sale 9 months earlier. The real difference is the audience. When it is time to auction off my Large Cents I am certain placing them in an EAC auction would produce substantially better prices than any weekly HA online auction.
    Congratulations on acquiring such stunning CBHs.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2023 3:30PM

@RLSnapper said:
    I am a believer that having coins such as this just presented as a clinical grade and Overton number does them a great disservice....hence the bargain basement prices when compared to a sale 9 months earlier. The real difference is the audience. When it is time to auction off my Large Cents I am certain placing them in an EAC auction would produce substantially better prices than any weekly HA online auction.

Also The sale started at 3pm on the west coast and ran simultaneously with another primarily CBH auction.

When the sale started there were 3 or 4 folks bidding overall. It started to pick up in the 1820s.

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous CBH's!
    Looking forward to your next posts,,,
    Congrats!

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep it up, truly enjoying reading these. Your writing style, great coins, and overall passion for the hobby are infectious.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear T

Reminds me fondly of ten years ago when I was actively pursuing lovely examples of die marriages and the kid in the candy shop feeling! Thanks for sharing all your irrational exuberance with all of us. You continue to build and develop a truely great eye for superb early halves

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I love all the research and tracking down of coins you did with some of your wins. I often wonder when I'm looking at old capped bust halves in various old auction catalogs if the ones slabbed by the unloved companies are out there and people have no clue that they came from well known collections. I look on eBay from time to time but never found any of them.

It was weird that two auctions with a sizable bust half collection were going on at the same time. None of my bids won but I was a very timid proxy bidder as I found out how much I would be spending on a tooth that morning which really took the wind out of my sails.

• Options

Another beauty @pursuitofliberty .

I had picked out 4 to bid on in this auction and each exceeded what was determined to be fair prices. I need to learn to see the beauty in ugly photos and bid on ones people don't want. I will do better next time.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and that is a great looking 1827!
    I even did a GTG for myself and nailed it! Hey, that’s pretty impressive for me!😳
    Congrats on this and all your major scores it sounds like you made!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty. Killer coins. Original color and surfaces are tough to beat! And even tougher to ever find. Sounds like you skipped any opportunity costs at least. Timing means a lot.

Love your thread. Please post more.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice additions!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t get the image of you naked in the rain out of my mind.

Electro shock therapy scheduled for tomorrow. If that doesn’t work considering a lobotomy.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 5:04PM

she’s more of a porcelain doll stuck in the house of surfers and climbers and other bohemians.

Yikes. Akin to "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!" :)

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, THAT is one stunning coin!
    Congrats, big time!👍

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@RLSnapper said:

Also The sale started at 3pm on the west coast and ran simultaneously with another primarily CBH auction.

When the sale started there were 3 or 4 folks bidding overall. It started to pick up in the 1820s.

These coins are gorgeous. And I love reading about and getting great deals!

But what's this Stephenville? And "WASTING AWAY IN," what's that all about? Somebody mentioned it's an Heritage Auction? Let's see if I can somehow find it on the Heritage website. Sure enough on September 25th, 2023. $550,000 for this one owner stand alone collection with 525+ bidders. And 115 CACs out of 580 coins! Some CACs going for a little over $100.

That's a lot of CBHs. Rather than put down Heritage's marketing, is it simply possible there were two many coins for the market to absorb; especially, if there was another CBH auction going on elsewhere?

Timing is everything and perhaps one of the two auction houses should have delayed their sale for the benefit of the seller?

• Options

@DisneyFan

"Wasting away in Stephenville" is a play on words.

Think Jimmy Buffet, Margaritaville.

I'm not bashing anybody. But not only was the Stephenville auction up, but also another auction was up at the same time from Heritage, also showcasing CBH's.

The owner of the Stephenville collection had quite a few very, very nice coins. It's unfortunate that they were all sold at the same time where the market couldn't absorb them correctly. I was happy to know that it was not a health issue.

I won't second-guess any of the marketing because I don't know why it was set up the way it was.

I just know it was a very different experience for me, and I think also it was for @Pnies20 as well. However I am very glad we both did our homework on this one.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty Your coins are only superseded by your stories! Excellent storytelling and real EYE CANDY for certain. Congratulations on a fabulous haul and some favorable deals. I very much look forward to more of your tales and wish you continued success in your "pursuitofliberty" ;)

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RLSnapper said:

But what's this Stephenville? And "WASTING AWAY IN," what's that all about? Somebody mentioned it's an Heritage Auction? Let's see if I can somehow find it on the Heritage website. Sure enough on September 25th, 2023. $550,000 for this one owner stand alone collection with 525+ bidders. And 115 CACs out of 580 coins! Some CACs going for a little over $100.

That's a lot of CBHs. Rather than put down Heritage's marketing, is it simply possible there were two many coins for the market to absorb; especially, if there was another CBH auction going on elsewhere?

Timing is everything and perhaps one of the two auction houses should have delayed their sale for the benefit of the seller?

It was The same auction house.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@DisneyFan said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RLSnapper said:

It was The same auction house.

WOW!!

• Options

Very nice. Always a bonus when it is an MB coin and includes photos by Lance. Great addition to your outstanding collection of Bust Half Dollars.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Todd. I’m loving the stories and absolute thrill you’re recounting for us. Makes me envious and a bit disappointed I missed out on this opportunity (particularly that 1814/13 color bomb that I had aggressively bid on in MB#55). I’m very happy for you!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

That says “freaking” btw 😝

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭

Now that was fund, and great looking high grade rarities to drool over. Glad I opened this thread, well worth it.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I followed the Stephenville sales of both Seated coins and Barber coins. The only caution I will make when it comes to looking at prices is that the Stephenville group had NO problem paying anywheres from 2 to 5 times the previous going rate for coins. In fact I was able to research a list of coins that ran into the hundreds where they had set a new highest price paid: ever.
    Having said that I am glad you won the coins you wanted and I am sure you know their value. James

• Options

@seatedlib3991 James, yes, this is very well known to anyone who properly researched the examples for sale. Although many of the coins I purchased were also some of those "new record for the grade" when purchased by "Stephenville", the prices here were also sometimes less than even previous sales 3 to 5 years ago. Again, not all, but some.

I have tried to not divulge a lot of pricing data, but it was unusual for @Pnies20 and I to see many coins being sold at discount prices. Not discount to the march ever higher, but discount to a walk-around at the Summer ANA this year.

Several dealers and CBH collectors have commented to me about the favorable prices they encountered as well.

Anyway ... next up

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file