Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins you *painfully* regret selling

Comments

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:

@FrankH said:
    All of these.

:'(

Isn't that the dollar that went into the TDN collection?

Yes. There were many wonder coins in that. Had it not been graded 64, I would still have it.
    Very bad decision to sell it. :|

This was particularly nice.

After selling the dollar, I sold groups out of the set. Long ago.

EVERY coin, with exception of the 1871 dollar that I have swapped for bullion, the bullion has done much better pricewise. :)

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:

@rec78 said:
    I sold a 1802 half cent only because I made quite a big profit on it. It was one of the nicest 1802 half cents that I have ever seen grading F/VF. Then a few years later, I started collecting 1/2 cents by date and have not found a similiar coin, even at 5X the price that I sold it for. Also sold a brown unc. 1864 New Brunswick 1/2 cent.

@alaura22 said:
    My wife at the time made me sell my 1909-o $5 gold back in the 70s to buy a Sony trinatron tv................Sold it for $300! Probably would grade at AU50 or more.

She made you sell it? Hmmm? :|

1802 Half Cents in higher grades are really quite scarce. I am not surprised yo regret letting her go. Do you have a picture of it by any chance ?

No, this was a long time ago (1980's). I did not take pictures of my coins back then. I don't take many pictures even now! Guess I should but I would have to keep running back and forth to SDB in the bank. Someday maybe.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a list stuck in my head I don’t like thinking about. Just hoping the new owners are happy with them.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 9:57PM

I’ve seen this video many times. It never gets old. Thanks for reposting. I don’t know how he was ever able to part with that set….I don’t think I could’ve done it….

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

I’ve seen this video many times. It never gets old. Thanks for reposting. I don’t know how he was ever able to part with that set….I don’t think I could’ve done it….

I'm sure he has had seller's remorse since selling this set. It would be a very difficult set to ever replicate. :'(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regret selling a 2020-W V75 PF Silver American Eagle bought directly from the Mint.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 11:08AM

Here’s another one. A $10 coin that I sold for a 100x color premium. I sent it in for grading and the trueview became the plate coin for Memorial Cents in Coinfacts. I think it is still there, depending on which platform you use. Even though the sale price was staggering, I would buy it back in a heartbeat:

• OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 1:22PM

Well, I suppose this is one I'd like to have kept but needed the money that it brought at the time.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 2:08PM

None I have kept my best coins and will continue to hold on to them. I learned the hard way when I sold sports cards before the price boom.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    Well, I suppose this is one I'd like to have kept but needed the money that it brought at the time.

I would have cried for days....

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss them all but as they say it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved. But the ones that keep me up at night were the near misses

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread just won't go away.......
    It brings back bad memories, selling my 4 PCGS MS68 Walkers and my 1933-S PCGS MS67 Walker. I won't even go into my Merc's most of which I bought from Larry Sharpio, back in the day.
    Sorry, no pics, and the retired registry doesn't have them either

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a coin I regretted selling, but I had a bus timetable I collected which I found valuable which I sold in 2015. Only to buy back that same timetable in 2018.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch on both of them :o

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I’ve had sellers regret with several coins the bottom line is most of them are replaceable with some degree of patience. The biggest problem is some of the coins are priced outside of my comfort level today.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2023 4:21PM

Sold an 1888-S Morgan in MS 63 OGH that I owned for 10-15 years. Made money on it but regretted it for years. Replaced it with an OBH MS 64 that I'm pretty happy with.

Also, sold a Binion Peace Dollar that I wish I still had.

Finally, a 1935 Walker in MS 64. Sold it at a steep discount (to a shady dealer) and it has really appreciated, since then. This taught me a HARD lesson and it's a mistake that I'll NEVER make again.

NEVER sell a coin when you NEED the money....Take out a loan, work more hours or do something else. Some of these guys are like sharks and they can smell the blood in the water. Sell only when you have the time to do it right and can make the most $$$.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never look back…

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only coins I've ever sold were duplicates, after upgrading. So, no, no regrets.

Yet.

Someday, if I live long enough and keep my mind together long enough, I'll sell the whole collection, to save my heir(s) from having to do it, suboptimally. That will be sad.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom. That’s your underline coin! A nice coin with a crayon like emphasis. 🙂

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2023 10:10AM

Got on a crazy search after finding my first one in about 30 minutes... some 80,000+ auctions viewed and a year later.

Eventually owned three 1886 VAM 20 MS 63 coins accumulated over a year of constant searching... sold netted $4500

Had flipped three other raw AU cleaned examples paid for the entire half dozen.... fees and all.

A few other nice hits, sold for less spectacular purchases.

Need to learn to keep my hard earned trophies.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one I shouldve kept, 1788 NJ colonial Head left.

The pic pf the reverse has escaped my searches

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Cool, we’re still doing this. Here’s one I wish I’d never let go of:

Sold to a notorious black hole who won’t answer any of my texts or emails.

Keep ‘em coming!

I remember that one well.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Cool, we’re still doing this. Here’s one I wish I’d never let go of:

Sold to a notorious black hole who won’t answer any of my texts or emails.

Keep ‘em coming!

What’s the story or do you have a link?

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, it was listed without a photo in a PCGS OGH at Legend as a PR66BN, so I bought it. This was probably in 2008. Anyway PCGS was doing a FREE reconsideration at some Long Beach show and it went 67BN and kept the old cert number. And then came 2013 and I walked away from my career and put everything up for sale. Eventually Richard Shapiro (he has the Gobrecht’s Rasinets sets) bought it and I’ve never seen it since. I’m not even sure if he still owns it or what, as it doesn’t appear in any of his sets. It’s not like he needs it, he has multiples of the most beautiful mattes in existence!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    IIRC, it was listed without a photo in a PCGS OGH at Legend as a PR66BN, so I bought it. This was probably in 2008. Anyway PCGS was doing a FREE reconsideration at some Long Beach show and it went 67BN and kept the old cert number. And then came 2013 and I walked away from my career and put everything up for sale. Eventually Richard Shapiro (he has the Gobrecht’s Rasinets sets) bought it and I’ve never seen it since. I’m not even sure if he still owns it or what, as it doesn’t appear in any of his sets. It’s not like he needs it, he has multiples of the most beautiful mattes in existence!

Once Rich gets ahold of a coin it’s there for good, unless you find him in a rare state of weakness. He did sell me one of his mattes on one of those moments.
    BTW, he does still own the 1910.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@renomedphys said:

Once Rich gets ahold of a coin it’s there for good, unless you find him in a rare state of weakness. He did sell me one of his mattes on one of those moments.
    BTW, he does still own the 1910.

Now that we know he has it, slip him a Mickey and sign a contract.

• mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2023 3:32PM

I made this coin from an NGC AU50 to a PCGS AU53. Had I known it received a CAC after I sold it I would’ve kept it.

But I hit a home run w/it instead of a grand slam, helps to reduce my “pain.”

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it’s this one. I didn’t realize it’s rarity until after I traded it. It’s not in Registry, but if anyone here may know of its whereabouts, by all means message me.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file