Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1918/7-D Buffalo with issues value help please!

Could someone give me a little help on how to value a wounded Buff! I have a chance to acquire a corroded and cleaned 1918/7-D Buffalo, full, strong horn. It’s dark mostly with a very strong date and details. It’s in a Anacs XF40 details holder and I know it’s authentic. I know, corroded and cleaned but it’s rather attractive and still has strong details. What is a fair price for one in this state? It’s not an acid date btw.

Comments

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Posting a picture of said coin would help.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    I would start with auction records of other 'Details' 1918/7 D nickels. Below is an auction prices realized sort for this with an upper grade limitation of 58. Details could be for cleaned, E damage, scratched.... Also a cleaned details could be borderline market acceptable (a higher value) or almost a harshly cleaned (lower value). Therefore, would need to review each and sort out which ones appear applicable to the OP coin. Also a link to a similar HA sort. These should appear in the other link but not always (missed or something) but have photos and a little description on sort without having to go to each lot. Maybe this will help.

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1918-7-d-ms/3939

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nf=Grade+Number|LTEQ+58&N=51+790+231+350&Ntt=1918/7-d&limitTo=all

That’s awesome! Thank you!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a very similar coin in VG Details I posted on E-Bay asking $1,200. The best offer I got was $700 which I refused. The details and "look" of the coin are the driving force. My coin was pitted and had some black spots that were surface contamination that probably would have rubbed off with a bit of pocket time.

The most important thing for you to consider is that these are rare. They are EXCEPTIONALLY RARE in higher circulated grades.

All that said, I'd think a legitimate XF 40 details coin should sell for $1,500 - $1,800. Essentially VF money.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I had a very similar coin in VG Details I posted on E-Bay asking $1,200. The best offer I got was $700 which I refused. The details and "look" of the coin are the driving force. My coin was pitted and had some black spots that were surface contamination that probably would have rubbed off with a bit of pocket time.

The most important thing for you to consider is that these are rare. They are EXCEPTIONALLY RARE in higher circulated grades.

All that said, I'd think a legitimate XF 40 details coin should sell for $1,500 - $1,800. Essentially VF money.

It has to be devalued because of the details determination. But yes, even though the coin has issues it is very rare in a high grade.

The estimate above looks good to me

A regular overdate in XF will fetch around $8,500 dollars. I would go on the high end, and pay no more than $2000.00 - 2400.00 bucks for it.

The strong looking date on it is what, visually, a lot of collectors like and want.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye appeal is important, even on a problem coin. No two XF details coins will bring the exact same money. XF 40 problem free bid on Greysheet is $7000. VF20 bid is $2800. For an XF Details piece I think that @BuffaloIronTail has it pegged pretty close in the low $2000s. Assuming that the coin isn't totally ugly that is.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough question without seeing. I asked $3750 on eBay and took an offer of $3k , recently, for this:

XF is a lot meatier, but the corrosion may detract much.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has to be viewed to provide any reasonable answer to your question. The value of problem coins depends on how market acceptable it will be to how many collectors. If many collectors view it as market acceptable for their collection then its value will be high. If it is really ugly then few collectors will view it as market acceptable for their collection and its value will be low.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2023 6:06AM

By way of comparison here is a 1918/7-d in doggy bow wow condition that is being offered for just a tad over
    eight hundred skins. How much would you be willing to shell out for this wonder-dog? (This coin is currently holdered
    by pcgs no less!)

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have pics, sorry. I appreciate all the input. I have decided to pass on the offering. I don't think I can live with the coin and it's issues! Dark Corrosion is a real problem for me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file