Home Sports Talk
Options

What was the first World Series you ever watched?

Mine was the 1991 World Series Minnesota vs Atlanta.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember for sure, but it was one of the A's threepeat in the 1970's.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

1985 World Series - Royals versus Cardinals.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2023 10:50PM

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Same here! Had the hat and imitated Kent Tekulve in the backyard all summer.

I'm from Michigan, lol.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Same here! Had the hat and imitated Kent Tekulve in the backyard all summer.

I'm from Michigan, lol.

Well I think the Pirates had alot of followers in those days. They were one of the best teams in the 70's. 6 division titles, 2 World Series Championships.

Was nice to see Tekulve inducted into the Pirates Hall of Fame last week.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2023 3:15AM

Mine was also the 91 World Series, I watched my beloved Braves lose to the Twins, then the very next year I watched in horror as lightning struck twice.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was this one. 86. Had I watched some before? Probably. But this is the earliest one that I can say I remember. I was ten. Huge Red Sox fan. https://youtu.be/18caPNisP2U?feature=shared

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Red Sox vs Cardinals.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. When I got home from school the game had a few innings to go, Braves beat the Yankees. I know I didn't watch in 56 because my cousin would tell me about it, He showed me a baseball card of Don Larsen and asked me if I thought he was any good.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

77 Yankees - Dodgers
    I’m probably the only member here who watched the 77 World Series sick in bed with the Mono… :(

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys sure have good memories. Definitely at least 71 pirates-orioles if any of the games were night games. Most WS games were day games then during school.
    Probably earlier than that but who knows.
    Definitely remember watching the tube when the news flash came in saying Clemente’s plane had gone down and he was missing.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Darin, mine was the 1971 Orioles Pirates. The heroics of Roberto Clemente and the pitching of Steve Blass.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1978 World Series, Yankees over the Dodgers. Brian Doyle's 15 minutes of fame.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Mine was also the 91 World Series, I watched my beloved Braves lose to the Twins, then the very next year I watched in horror as lightning struck twice.

As a fellow Braves fan, I must say that one broke my heart.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2023 5:25AM

Orioles swept the Dodgers 4-0 in 1966. Became an Orioles fan for life.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one where I was actually a fan and interested in the game was 1988 when LA beat Oakland.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen them all but don't ask me to tell you who was playing in the games as there were just too many!

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

1973 Meta vs A's

Matt

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

1972 A's vs. Reds.

Steve

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. My teacher at the time, a Nun, was from St.Louis area. Brought her little B/W
      TV from the convent. I became a Cards fan that year. Just turned 7.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

1959, Los Angeles Dodgers vs. the Chicago White Sox. The Dodgers won in six games.

I mostly remember Larry Sherry coming in from the bullpen to shut the White Sox down.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    77 Yankees - Dodgers
    I’m probably the only member here who watched the 77 World Series sick in bed with the Mono… :(

Mr. October! This is the first one I remember. 7 years old.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember 1968 clearly. First appearance for Detroit since 1945- and they beat the Cubs. Cardinals- Cubs rivalry is probably the most under appreciated in sports. There is no easy choice as to who to root for- Maybe it was because I was young and impressionable, but 1968 ranks among the best in my lifetime- great pitching, great hitting peaks and valleys in the shift of momentum leading to the unsuspecting World Series star that emerged- Mickey Lolich.

It was a series that had something for everyone.

Mickey Lolich looked like everyone's neighbor- a regular guy- And someone that you would have over for a backyard BBQ and beer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I had the whole set of seven cards at one time, but I can't locate them all from the 1959 Series, the first World Series I watched.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giants and Yankees
    I'm still not over it.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    Giants and Yankees
    I'm still not over it.

You probably mean the final out when Willie McCovey hit the line drive to Bobby Richardson at second base? It wasn’t that close.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

The 1st that I can recall was the 1975 World Series between the Reds and the Red Sox. I remember watching at the recreation center. I probably saw one before that but being from Massachusetts that was the big one that I could truly remember.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@streeter said:
    Giants and Yankees
    I'm still not over it.

You probably mean the final out when Willie McCovey hit the line drive to Bobby Richardson at second base? It wasn’t that close.

My first yr of little league. I knew every Giant and Dodgers BA and ERA. The Giants were my life. Baseball was my life.
    They didn't send the runner home from third on the previous hit by Mays before McCovey.
    One foot further away from Richardson and we'd be in tall cotton.
    Crushed!

Have a nice day