Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022 Reverse Proof Palladium Eagle no longer scheduled for September

Comments

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I paid thru the nose when I got last years' Pd. Ouch. :s
    But maybe there's hope for me for this years coin.
    Im also pondering the "wait and buy it graded" approach. But again, I want the TVs and dont need 1st strike or FDOI.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno.....that really is the lowest yet. I think that has to be the bottom. I checked the previous years palladium and they are also listed at this price, but the unavailable sign is up. (not the sold out sign)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps you in making a decision, I think this is the most beautiful finish. The palladium eagles are already stunning, and the reverse proof finish adds value to the effect.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium LBMA PM Fix Yesterday was $1,553.00

That is Lowest price in 3.4 years.

09/06/2019 Palladium LBMA PM Fix was $1,541.00…

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

And the mint has a 60+% mark up on the Rev Proof at $2550. Crazy premiums these days.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@cagcrisp said:

And the mint has a 60+% mark up on the Rev Proof at $2550. Crazy premiums these days.

What was the premium a few years ago for the regular and RP ?

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@cagcrisp said:

What was the premium a few years ago for the regular and RP ?

I would have to go off memory so it might be a little off. I seem to remember when Palladium was at $2500+ the markup was about the same dollar wise (or slightly less) which means far less percentage wise.

Others will probably have it written down and can correct me if wrong.

• Options

Thanks @cagcrisp
    I thought I was remembering things correctly. The premium is expanding (percentage wise) as the price of Palladium drops.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks @cagcrisp
    I thought I was remembering things correctly. The premium is expanding (percentage wise) as the price of Palladium drops.

That's NOT unusual as prices are sticky to the downside, even for the U.S. Mint. :)

Let's see what happens if the price continues to drop as auto demand slowly gets nicked and possible Russian supplies hit if there's turbulence if Putin gets the boot.

Palladium was 1/2 the price of gold in the 1990's and that's with rip-roaring demand for autos. Increased supplies, reduced demand -- could be lethal for the current price. :o

• Options

How have things changed in 1 year for those that purchase United States Mint Palladium?

W/e 02/20/2022 there were 20 2021 Proof Palladium’s Sold for $3,200.00

This afternoon the United States Mint will reduce the Reverse Proof Palladium to $2,500.00…

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

How have things changed in 1 year for those that purchase United States Mint Palladium?

W/e 02/20/2022 there were 20 2021 Proof Palladium’s Sold for $3,200.00

This afternoon the United States Mint will reduce the Reverse Proof Palladium to $2,500.00…

Interesting info. As of now Palladium is at $1440. That's over a $1000 premium. Seems to be expanding as the price drops. We are over 73% premium now.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely ridiculous and has turned me away as a consumer, although I did buy an earlier specimen at the decreased "premium" price.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Interesting info. As of now Palladium is at $1440. That's over a $1000 premium. Seems to be expanding as the price drops. We are over 73% premium now.

Yep.

Currently, the APdE sells for (MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in a given row of the 'pricing range table') + $950.00.

Since the premium is a fixed dollar amount, as the London Fixed for Pd declines, the % premium for APdE increases.

Example:
    APdE Price= $3,200.00; MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in associated row = $2,250.00; % Premium @ MIN 'Average $/oz.' = 42.22%
    APdE Price= $2,500.00; MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in associated row = $1,550.00; % Premium @ MIN 'Average $/oz.' = 61.29%

• Options

@MetroD said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Yep.

Currently, the APdE sells for (MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in a given row of the 'pricing range table') + $950.00.

Since the premium is a fixed dollar amount, as the London Fixed for Pd declines, the % premium for APdE increases.

Example:
    APdE Price= $3,200.00; MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in associated row = $2,250.00; % Premium @ MIN 'Average $/oz.' = 42.22%
    APdE Price= $2,500.00; MIN 'Average $/oz.' for Pd in associated row = $1,550.00; % Premium @ MIN 'Average $/oz.' = 61.29%

Correct, but currently spot is $1450 + $1050 to get to selling price of $2500. They are now charging $1050 over spot so the premium increases even more.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

Correct, but currently spot is $1450 + $1050 to get to selling price of $2500. They are now charging $1050 over spot so the premium increases even more.

I am not disputing your 'math/point'. In fact, I was agreeing with you (i.e., as the price of Pd drops, the % premium for the APdE increases).

That said, while it might make sense for you, and even me, to reference current spot, the Mint does not use current spot when 'determining/adjusting' the sale price of the APdE.

As I understand it, they review the 'price/row' on a weekly basis, using historic 'London Fixed' prices for the underlying PM. Here is the criteria that they use for changing the selling price.

Given the once-a-week adjustment, the premium can, and will, change intra-week relative to spot.

• Options

Thanks @MetroD
    I was thinking Wednesday was the spot price they used. I am hoping for sub $1000 (though I would then have to be ok with 100% markup :smiley:

• Options

Rock bottom??

• Options

The 2022 Palladium Reverse Proof coin will be lower next week than it is currently IF things do not change from Yesterday's numbers...

• Options

The 2022 Palladium Reverse Proof coin has just been lowered to $2,400.00

Lowest Mint pricing in over 3 years (w/e 01/05/2020 it was $2,337.50)

• Options

Just to stay current. This rounds out February 2023.

• Options
    tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

love to see it

• Options

How much has changed in Exactly 1 year?

1 year ago Today Palladium LBMA AM Fix hit an All Time High of $3,339.00
    1 year ago Today Palladium LBMA PM Fix hit an All Time High of $3,015.00

Yesterday the LBMA AM Fix for Palladium was $1,430.00 or Down 57% in Exactly 1 year
    Yesterday the LBMA PM Fix for Palladium was $1,420.00 or Down 53% in Exactly 1 year

• Options

Back on the rise. Wondering where these will just level out.

• Options

Bumping an old thread I know, but noting the prior years Pds (unavailable, I realize) are down to $2150. WOW!
    Yet I see in the US Mint price list, looking at the fact the 1/10th oz AGE is currently at $325, at that point the 2023 Pd seems it could be $2850??
    The UNC 2023 coin goes on sale tomorrow. Curious where it gets priced at?

• Options
    CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I think you may be mixing up Au & Pd pricing grid info; should be =$2150 +/- 50 on Thursday. :|

• Options

@CXD said:
    I think you may be mixing up Au & Pd pricing grid info; should be =$2150 +/- 50 on Thursday. :|

Probably right. I got lazy and went with the row where I knew the price of the other coin.
    $2150? ... I'll have to pick up 2!! :D

• Options

@stawick said:
    Bumping an old thread I know, but noting the prior years Pds (unavailable, I realize) are down to $2150. WOW!
    Yet I see in the US Mint price list, looking at the fact the 1/10th oz AGE is currently at $325, at that point the 2023 Pd seems it could be $2850??

Palladium - Weekly Average London Fixed (R-AM through W-AM) = $1,222.50 (USD)

Still need today's London PM Fix to finalize the price. Pricing Criteria

ESTIMATED price, based solely on the weekly average, is $2,150.00. (Again, the final price will be determined by today's London PM Fix.)

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-USM-Library/default/dw2021515f/images/PDFs/2023-Pricing-Grid.pdf

• Options

@stawick said:

@CXD said:

Probably right. I got lazy and went with the row where I knew the price of the other coin.
    $2150? ... I'll have to pick up 2!! :D

And doing it the RIGHT way (lol) ... Pd is over $1250-ish, so ~$2200 ...

• Options

@stawick said:

$2,150.00

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Palladium spot price today is $1255.
    If Mint price its PD coin 43% above the spot price, it should be $1800. But I think the Mint price will be higher.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    FYI -
    I just went out to check my account info (per another thread), and saw they updated -
    new available date is Sept 29!

Thank Putin. Lol

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2023 2:25PM

@Rarity said:
    Palladium spot price today is $1255.
    If Mint price its PD coin 43% above the spot price, it should be $1800. But I think the Mint price will be higher.

They have a formula. And the formula isn't based on 43% of anything. It's a fixed premium over the trailing weeks average fix. At $1250, the price is $2150. Period.

2023 Pricing Grid - US Mint Catalog https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-USM-Library/default/dw2021515f/images/PDFs/2023-Pricing-Grid.pdf

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium spot at Kitco this morning is around $1,234 ask. A very high $916 premium or 74%. The bid ask spread for bullion is a relatively high $60 with a bid price of only $1,174.

Mintages:
    2017 Mint State (bullion) 15,000
    2018-W Proof 14,986
    2019-W Reverse Proof 18,775
    2020-W Uncirculated 9,742
    2021-W Proof 5,170
    2021 Mint State (bullion) 8,700
    2022-W Reverse Proof 7,360
    2023-W Uncirculated has an assigned 6,000 maximum mintage

The 2021-W proof at 5,170 is the current low mintage in the set.

There is a chance this 2023-W Unc. could sell less than 5,000 given the high premium and fading interest. However, in general, the aftermarket prices for the lower mintage graded coins are still $3,000 plus, in spite of the low spot price.

The US Mint website currently still shows available for orders later today.

• Options

Beautiful coin. The 75% premium will keep me on the sideline.

• Options

Well that's down a bit from this Spring.....which was around 2400.00 Pick one up today for only 2150.00
    Seems like a good deal.... so much rarer than gold, yet the gold one ounce is pricing around 2700.00 - 2800.00

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so thankful I already have all the Palladium Eagle finishes! Go get em.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

I also have all three Pr (x2) , RP & Burn - but thinking about the lower mintage situation... its a maybe ;)

• Options

I went ahead and ordered one. I really like the design. B)
    The price feels like a bit less of a kick in the bank acct than previous years.
    This will make 2 "cycles" I'll have (other than the bullion). My 1st 2 graded 69, then 2 70s (looking good in the price guide B) ). Just sent last years Rev Pf to PCGS for grading (Express). Will probably send this one in next year.
    Since I "got" retired this year (at 57 - quite a bit of a bridge to soc security), I'm starting to weigh if I'll pursue these further. A little tough to swing at this cost (even tho this year is a bit easier to choke down).

• Options

I ordered one as well..... Kind of funny since I just purchased a really nice (raw) 2019 Pd RP on Monday! :p

• Options

The obsession with the % premium is odd. The Mint has a fixed premium. If Palladium were $100,000 per ounce you'd have a 1% premium but wouldn't be able to afford the coin.

If you want bullion, you could buy a bar.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    The obsession with the % premium is odd. The Mint has a fixed premium. If Palladium were $100,000 per ounce you'd have a 1% premium but wouldn't be able to afford the coin.

If you want bullion, you could buy a bar.

Yes. Premium tends to be a lesser issue for folks in previous years when Pd spot was double todays price and when the coin is released at >$3k. Initial demand/sales were also higher in that (more expensive) macro-environment. ;)

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the palladium eagle originally intended as a bullion coin, like the gold, silver and platinum eagles? The other three types of eagles are available each year as bullion coins with a much smaller premium over spot price, and with no preset mintage limits.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

@Overdate said:
    Was the palladium eagle originally intended as a bullion coin, like the gold, silver and platinum eagles? The other three types of eagles are available each year as bullion coins with a much smaller premium over spot price, and with no preset mintage limits.

No. The Mint does not directly sell any bullion coins.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2023 7:17AM

@Overdate said:

I do not know the original intent.

That said, bullion APdE were produced in 2017, and 2021 (i.e., PCGS base coin #653109 and 891916). Both had mintage limits (i.e., 15,000 and 8,700, respectively).

There were no numismatic offerings in 2017, but there was a Proof offering in 2021 (i.e., PCGS base coin #889329).

Edited to add a link.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the palladium eagle was originally intended to be a bullion coin. The mint’s website describes Palladium coins in a similar manner to the way that it describes gold, silver, and platinum bullion coins.

United States Mint Bullion Coins

“Congressionally authorized United States Mint Bullion Coins provide investors with a convenient and cost-effective way to add physical gold, silver, platinum, or palladium to their investment portfolios. The American Eagle Bullion Coin Program was launched in 1986 with the sale of American Eagle Gold and Silver Bullion Coins. Platinum was added to the American Eagle Bullion Coin family in 1997 and palladium in 2017.”

A bullion coin is an investment-grade coin that is valued by its weight and fineness of a specific precious metal. Unlike commemorative or numismatic coins valued by limited mintage, rarity, condition, and age, bullion coins are purchased by investors seeking a simple and tangible means to own and invest in the gold, silver, platinum, and palladium markets.”

“United States Mint bullion coins are sold based on the prevailing market price of gold, silver, platinum, or palladium plus a small premium to cover minting, distribution, and marketing costs.”

American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coins

“Authorized by Congress in 2010 and first issued in 2017, the coins give investors an easy way to take advantage of palladium as a precious metal investment.

“The U.S. Mint does not sell bullion coins directly to the public. Learn more about palladium bullion coins or locate a bullion coin dealer. Prices are based on the market price of palladium, which fluctuates daily.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint is ridiculous. $900 over spot is a "small premium", apparently.
    These guys can't even get 2023 friggin Mint Sets out yet. All they say is Fall 2023.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file