Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scammers need to learn about research...

telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a RARE counterstamped Seated Lib. quarter... Battle of Shiloh...except the battle took place a year later...
Only $3500 though so at least it's a good deal! :D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394811309449

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that searching for seated quarters. Yeah, aside from the date being wrong, the engraving looks a little too perfect. Good catch!

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know the seller’s a “scammer”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

I didn't necessarily call the seller a scammer- perhaps they are only guilty of ignorance...but it's reasonably safe to say that whomever it was that created the piece certainly had nefarious ideas in mind.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

I didn't necessarily call the seller a scammer- perhaps they are only guilty of ignorance...but it's reasonably safe to say that whomever it was that created the piece certainly had nefarious ideas in mind.

At a minimum, you strongly implied that the seller’s a scammer. And there’s a good chance that he or she is isn’t one. At the same time, neither your thread title nor your post made any reference to the nefarious ideas of the person who created the piece.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

At a minimum, you strongly implied that the seller’s a scammer. And there’s a good chance that he or she is isn’t one. At the same time, neither your thread title nor your post made any reference to the nefarious ideas of the person who created the piece.

I like your optimism, but at $3500 on an obviously fake counterstamp I'm going with the odds... If nothing else I'm sure you'd agree that at a bare minimum this seller is clueless.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

eBay does let anyone list just about anything. They aren't required to be grounded in reality.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can it not be an AU coin that was minted the year prior to the battle, pocket carried, and then stamped?
    Why does the date on the coin have to be the same date as the battle? Was the 193rd Infantry there?
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Can it not be an AU coin that was minted the year prior to the battle, pocket carried, and then stamped?
    Why does the date on the coin have to be the same date as the battle? Was the 193rd Infantry there?

The engraving should be the same date as the battle.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

Maybe the guy was on vacation at Shiloh a year before the battle and stamped the date into the coin to commemorate his visit... :D

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

@telephoto1 said:

@MFeld said:

I like your optimism, but at $3500 on an obviously fake counterstamp I'm going with the odds... If nothing else I'm sure you'd agree that at a bare minimum this seller is clueless.

Being clueless doesn’t amount to being a scammer. And the seller’s other listings don’t give the impression of the latter.
    Remember:
    “Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity.”

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭

What proof is there that this had anything to do with the battle? Anyone could have stamped the coin at anytime later, even three weeks ago.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

He also says it’s graded by pcgs

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

@Glen2022 said:
    What proof is there that this had anything to do with the battle? Anyone could have stamped the coin at anytime later, even three weeks ago.

Yeah, that's kinda the point. It's fairly obvious that the intent was to infer that this was somehow a Civil War period counterstamp commemorating the battle and sell it as a period c/s piece...but the person doing the stamping botched the date. There would be no reason to legitimately associate 1861 with Shiloh as nothing happened there until the following year. Anyone who knows CW memorabilia knows this is obviously not a period item insofar as the counterstamping is concerned.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call the seller a 'scammer'
    I would call him a fiction writer. Casting his bait.

Have a nice day
  • Options

At least he was honest about pulling the price out of his, um, hat...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hanlon's Razor:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of the time someone on eBay asked if a coin I was selling was from a specific shipwreck. A shipwreck that occurred decades before the coin in question was minted.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭

So was it?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2023 4:36AM

And now we'll never know what this kerfuffle was all about since the listing is gone and no one posted all the photos here. :/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file