Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I give up... blown out of the water for an 1884 half dollar

Comments

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to log in to Heritage to see it sold for $2,280. Wholesale bid $950?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang I'm not well versed in this series but that sure seems like a strong result.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pricing on 1880s halves and quarters has been unrealistic for a long time, particularly for CAC coins.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been surprisingly outbid on a number of coins recently where I thought I my bid was quite strong on GC website.

Don’t give up!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:

This is not the type of coin you want to sell to a dealer!

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden i think part of it may be that people are trying for matched sets? They may not like the look of mid-MS coins next to their vf-xf earlier dates.

• Options
    HalfhoundHalfhound Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    @rhedden i think part of it may be that people are trying for matched sets? They may not like the look of mid-MS coins next to their vf-xf earlier dates.

Exactly!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfhound said:

@scubafuel said:

Exactly!

Ditto that. I like the matched set approach, but I do have some AU's and a handful of MS coins in my set as well. That 1879 thru 1891 run seems to be tougher than just a few years ago. The 1891 is called "common" but it's not all that easy to find either. The 1884 I posted about looks like a looker!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

43 are cac stickered out of over 300, so there is a premium on those who passed plus the auction was the right one at the right time.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between XF-AU there is a total of four CAC stickered examples for this issue, three in XF45 and one at AU55. If you pursue this series in that grade range, and I do, then be prepared for closing bids above, sometimes well above, wholesale prices especially when there is a shortage of stickered examples. Sadly, I totally forgot to set an alarm for this lot but congrats to the new owner.

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 10:48AM

42 to be exact with 29 being MS and 1 lonely AU55 so that leaves 12 coins left if you want (and can find) a Circ. example.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:

This is the issue. My seated quarter set is going to be all VF-XF and I'm only interested in those grades. Typically I've been paying around PCGS book or a little more. They're super hard to find and I don't mind paying over book for a nice coin.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 12:33PM

wow 1300 over pcgs value thats crazy someone really needed that coin i wouldnt care if it was cac, fbi, cia, and spca approved i wouldnt pay that for it

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 12:37PM

"Matched sets" are fun up to a point, but insisting on it just screams OCD to me. Personally, I try to suppress all OCD tendencies I might have while collecting - which is very hard for a lot of us "set builders" to do. The bottom line is that an XF matched set is worth less than an XF set with a few MS coins in it. Very few sets are sold intact when the time comes, and nobody cares whether the set was matched or not once it gets broken up. I guess you can enjoy the consistent TrueViews while you have it up for display in the Registry...

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    wow 1300 over pcgs value thats crazy someone really needed that coin

That has been happening a lot lately in auctions.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 1:44PM

Most likely rich collector bidders in bid war.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the fun of assembling a full series set is to capture the series design in various states of preservation... I never have been a fan of the so-called matched set concept.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment, just because I'm making things difficult today. :p

What are you "XF matched set - CAC only" aficionados going to do about the 1870-CC Seated half? A set without an 1870-CC is no fun at all, and it's not a matched set unless every single coin has a bean!

Looks like your entire set is going to have to be AU53 CAC.

AU53? Oh crap, now you can't have an 1871-CC. :D

• Options
    M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 2:35PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@scubafuel said:

This is the issue. My seated quarter set is going to be all VF-XF and I'm only interested in those grades. Typically I've been paying around PCGS book or a little more. They're super hard to find and I don't mind paying over book for a nice coin.

I'm doing the same with a Carson City Morgan set, only my requirement is slightly tighter -- VF35-XF45. I'm five coins from completion (bought the first eight I have in less than a month), but I've come to a hard place in the road -- 1881 and 1884. Dozens of these two dates are available in MS, and even a handful in good and perhaps fair, but so far in my short wait, none in my desired grades. 1885 is a super tough one, but I took a chance and offered someone more than they paid for theirs and they accepted.

What's sad is that I have a shot at an 1881, but VF25 falls below my minimum, and I can't bring myself to compromise. I already live with regret for buying a MS64 1885 instead of waiting for a circulated one, and don't want to repeat that mistake.

• Options

@rhedden said:
    Let me play devil's advocate for a moment, just because I'm making things difficult today. :p

What are you "XF matched set - CAC only" aficionados going to do about the 1870-CC Seated half? A set without an 1870-CC is no fun at all, and it's not a matched set unless every single coin has a bean!

I think you're assuming too narrow standards for "matched set". I suppose some people may want beans but most people couldn't care less. It's about the overall look of the set. The pic below is from an actual Morgan set for sale on ebay and a perfect example of what most people that like "matched sets" are trying to avoid.

• Options

Back to the 1884 half which started this thread. I was first offered years ago the beauty posted above by Pickwickjr, but hadn’t yet committed to collecting the last 13 years of series so I passed. When I later decided to indulge myself it was off the table. I bought a nice VG8 in the interim and then the following XF45 came along.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-half-dollars/half-dollars/1884-50c-xf45-pcgs-cac-pcgs-population-12-138-ngc-census-3-79-cdn-700-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs-xf45-mintage-4-4/a/132023-21251.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I hesitated and stopped bidding on this one and lost it because my brain lock said it was too much deniro, WRONG! So now what does one do? Wait and see what turns up down the road before I die, or pull the trigger on what was in front of my face? Put me on trial then because I am guilty!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LJenkins11 said:

@rhedden said:

Not only the 1870-CC but the key itself... 1878-S which has zero in the XF-AU grades. In those cases, you get as close as possible and I'm happy with my 1870-CC but that 1878-S is still elusive.

XF40, WB-2

Jim Koenigs had a mention of the 78-s Seated 50c in his newsletter on Bust halves today.

"On July 20-21, 2023, Heritage had an important auction on Liberty Seated Halves. The sale of an NGC VG details 1878-S half dollar will be discussed. (53 known)"

Important Sales. Although normally my focus is on Reeded Edge Halves, on July 20-21, 2023, there were several incredible opportunities for Liberty Seated Collectors in a Hetitage Auction. One Lot 3066, was an 1878-S half dollar in NGC VG details that sold for $39,600 (see photo of obverse below

This coin was described as one of 53 known and had a reported mintage of 12,000. In the Gobrecht Journal for Summer 2023, LSCC President, Len Augsburger had a very interesting article “Buy the Best You Can Afford”. In that article, Len pointed out how various rare Liberty Seated (various denominations) had increased in value from 1960 to 2020, showing each step foreach decade. Len said, “Among half dollars, ‘buy the best you can afford’ holds sway untilrunning into the buzzsaw known as the rare 1878-S issue”. He went on to show a table that had1878-S in Good, Fine and UNC that all started out as 1.0 in 1960 and by 2020 the Good had now increased in value by 157.89, the Fine had increased to 128.57 and the UNC had increased to 95.24. So, the Good 1878-S outperformed the UNC 1878-S

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased my first 1884 as a nice looking MS62, from the old JJ Teaparty about 15 or 16 years ago. Along the lines of Rhedden's philosophy I thought I might as well buy MS when they are easier to find, nicer to look at, and about the same price, which at the time was just a little under 1K. Then I purchased an amazing colorful high grade MS 1884 example in a very old NGC no line fatty, but I never had the desire to crack it our or cross it over from such a nice holder. My desire to try and have a mostly AU set eventually caught up with me and I found a raw 1884 on Ebay in 2013 for quite a bit less than 1k, and thought it looked nice enough to end up in a holder and PCGS agreed to give it a 55 as pictured below. I still have all three examples and haven't sent any of them to CAC. I suspect that I could significantly expand some of the CAC pops for seated halves if I decided to send them all off. I love the seated halves but some of the new money that has been chasing them the past few years has really made it challenging to upgrade. I might have to find a new series.

• Options

Just wait until the two known VG8 CAC examples show their faces….

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@carabonnair said:

I agree. The toning is too dark. I think the over bidder did you a favor.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I saw two of them at Larry Briggs table but didn't care for either one of them. I'll have to remind myself that shopping for a 78-S is not like shopping for any other date.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with putting together an AU or XF/AU set. I think JBN has some outstanding seated halves in that range.

As for the coin in the OP, it is too dark in the photo for my taste (which I see Bill Jones just noted). But then it is a slab shot so it might in hand be more appealing.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@DisneyFan said:

@carabonnair said:

I agree. The toning is too dark. I think the over bidder did you a favor.

First thing I thought of was someone went metal detecting in a sewer. Agreed that you dodged a bullet with this coin.

• Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Hi Eric,

The bidders might have done you a favor, as a closer look at the obv shows what appears to be an old faded fingerprint.

Too bad, as the rev is fantastic.

Steve

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

Money laundering...just like art...

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    edited August 16, 2023 7:30PM

I increased the lighting and exposure. It's still a very dark coin.

• Options

I like it. It has a touch of granularity and corrosion on the high points and rims but CAC doesn't care about a little corrosion. It was in a corrosive environment (humidity, soft flip?) at one time. Too bad the PCGS pictures are so dark.

IMO, you stopped bidding at the right time. It's nice to see someone do that.

• Options

Not really a fan of the coin. Too dark.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file