Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I made it back from Pittsburgh but my bag took a detour to England

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2023 11:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So my show report will be a bit delayed since I’ve been wrestling with the saga of my wayward bag!

So after several incremental flight delays, a missed connecting flight, panic, waiting on hold for 45 min. with the airline while simultaneously searching for a new connecting flight from Dallas to OC, finding the last seat on a new flight myself, frantically trying and finally succeeding in buying that ticket on my phone which, because it was now a separately purchased flight not connected to my flight from Pittsburgh to Dallas, meant I had to physically retrieve my bag at baggage claim in Dallas and re-check it back in and go through security again - after all that I finally made it home Saturday night - yay!

However, my bag decided it wasn’t finished with this crazy adventure and never showed up at the OC baggage claim. I have an Apple Air tag on it so I could track it and Saturday night it showed the bag had other plans and decided to stay in Dallas a little longer. Then apparently my bag wanted to see what was on the other side of “the pond” because Sunday morning when I got up and checked the status, I discovered it had decided to go visit England! I crossed my fingers that the airline would hopefully locate it, figure out it’s an escapee bag from the U. S. and send it back home where it belonged and will be much more appreciated and loved!

UPDATE (Sunday 4:30pm): looked like my bag was on its way back from England, probably back to Dallas then hopefully to OC [fingers crossed!] I feel like my bag is similar to one of those traveling gnomes - it just needed someone to take pics of the places it visited! 😲😬

SECOND UPDATE (Monday 10:30am): Apparently my bag ended its world travels and returned to the scene of its escape in Dallas! I’m told it should be back in OC @ 7pm!! Keeping those fingers crossed….

THIRD UPDATE (Monday 6:00pm): Well my bag was being very stubborn and just didn’t want to come home yet - it missed its flight AGAIN from Dallas to OC!! I’m now getting VERY frustrated with American Airlines baggage folks as to how they can’t seem to corral one bag to make sure it gets on its designated flight TWICE! Luckily I have one AA baggage rep who is very sympathetic to my plight (she is shocked that my bag ended up in England) and is helping to follow up and give me any updates. She put an “urgent” request in to get my stubborn bag on the next Dallas flight tonight but we shall see if that actually happens….

Tonight I switched from my usual evening glass of wine to a double gin and tonic! I will post another update later….

FINAL UPDATE (Tuesday 7:30am): after TWO more missed flights in Dallas and several calls to AA baggage reps as to why they couldn’t seem to get one orphaned world traveler bag on an airplane home, it finally made the 10pm flight to OC, arriving within minutes of the OC 11pm curfew!! YAY!!! (If it had arrived minutes past 11pm, the OC noise abatement rule would have required the plane to be diverted to Los Angeles.) I was at the airport waiting to greet my beloved bag and sighed with great relief when I spotted it!

The experience was so very frustrating and worrisome as all my paperwork, receipts, customer invoices, projector, security camera, banner, table covers and case liners, coin supplies, cosmetics, clothes, shoes, even the amazing apple cobbler Todd brought me from a bakery that I didn’t finish (which of course I have tossed), and more were all in that bag. I couldn’t even do my usual post-show paperwork (including removing sold coins from my website). Now I can get to work on my show report without any further distractions!

P.s. I just discovered while unpacking everything that I did have one casualty of my bag’s travel travails - this special Grey Sheet shot glass they were giving out to celebrate their 60th anniversary!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of when I went to Thailand, but my luggage went to San Francisco. I arrived in Thailand and it was 45C which is approximately 112 degrees and humid and all my shorts, t shirts and sandals were in my luggage. Unfortunately I had to go shopping immediately for new clothes to wear. Three days later my luggage made it to me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know how kids are, got to travel the world and all that, experience life for themselves for a while. Don’t fret, the bag will return home when it’s good and ready, once it realizes that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thinking to use an air tag. Gonna keep that item in mind for mailing in the future. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/
    Oh my!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Airtags are great. Don't let your luggage (or carryon or keys) leave home without it!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it will pickup some wayward coins while visiting England and bring them home for you. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand what you're going through - I was only at the ANA for three days as I had to come home Thursday night. My flight was supposed to get into Greenville, SC at 11:00 pm (also, on American, by the way). Instead, we arrived just after 1:30 am. On my drive home, when the clock in the car hit 2:00, I quoted Danny Glover from the Lethal Weapon movie: "I'm getting too old for this ......".

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what an adventure. I have heard of many flight problems getting to and getting home from this years host city. I hope it ends well and soon.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Well you had it worse than me. My flight ORD-PIT was cancelled so had to get there via Newark

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope your luggage does not develop an English accent. lol :D
    Looking forward to your show report.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Air travel is a clusterf*** right now. I heard a number of stories about people having trouble getting home from that show.

This happened for me coming back from the last Long Beach show. Numerous delays and flight changes Southwest made on the ground and in the air made it take 14 hours for me to finally get to Austin. I guess I should be happy my luggage made it!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your troubles.

Personally, I have never really liked travelling.

Nowadays, I just refuse to fly as you have absolutely no control of anything the minute you step into the airport.

I'll stick to highway driving for me as I am just an old school grumpy senior.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has nothing to do with coins. Why do some of us peons and newbies get scolded for posting non coin posts? Just saying.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Was your inventory in the bags that went to England? Now it has to do with coins.

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 9:07AM

@Klif50 said:
    Was your inventory in the bags that went to England? Now it has to do with coins.

I know, as one of the peons, that my post will be unpopular. So be it. Some of us have to live by the rules, some don't.

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@Klif50 said:

I know, as one of the peons, that my post will be unpopular. So be it. Some of us have to live by the rules, some don't.

I am more of a peon than you but there are a lot of post about the transportation to the show. Hers was the first where her luggage, and possibly inventory, went to another country.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

ask for the extra frequent miles on the luggage, you deserve it >:)

• Options

@Klif50 said:

Throwing the word "inventory" or "coin" in a sentence does not alone make it about coins.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 12:33PM

In an effort to keep it coin related

Sorry for the travel issues... Sad that our suitcases/bags go to all the places we would like to visit. Hopefully you will get either a postcard from the Tower of London or a bottle of Bombay Gin- you know... the one with picture of Queen Victoria from late in her reign- but not the same as the portrait on the Florin pictured above

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@BryceM said:

@MWallace said:
    This has nothing to do with coins. Why do some of us peons and newbies get scolded for posting non coin posts? Just saying.

Really?

Really. But those of you that get away with it will never see it.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does OC have an 11 pm curfew?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 7:39PM

The John Wayne Airport settled a lawsuit years ago with the residents that owned property under the flight path who had sued for the excess noise the airport caused when it expanded and went with bigger, noisier planes. The airport agreed not to have flights depart before 7am and not land after 11pm, and when the planes take off, they fly up at a very steep rate and then level off at a higher altitude, also to help avoid noise (it feels like a roller coaster when you're in the air). They could face heavy fines if they violate these rules. If a plane is delayed and needs to land after 11pm, they are diverted to LA, then the passengers are bussed back to OC, which is a huge inconvenience as LA is an hour away from OC, not to mention everyone has to wait for everyone else to get their bags and board the bus, then drive back to OC, unload, and then catch a ride to their destination.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file