Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much does the error noted on the Liberty nickel impact its value?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious as this is a pricey coin. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be worth less as a defective coin for me, but I don't collect or care about errors.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without knowing the date and grade it's tough to generalize this one Herb. It's not a premium, but it may not be too great of of a discount either. Has some nice micro-cracks, but I suspect they are probably showing it as some type of planchet defect, correct?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a slab shot of it? It would be nice to see what is noted on the slab.. Planchet defect?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine it is probably a lower price than normal.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything from negative 100% to plus 20% depending on the buyer.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strikethrough? Pricey coin, you say? Is it a better date? Because I don't think that anomaly is going to add much if any premium. Some might like it, some might not, but the premium should be modest if there is any premium at all. As mentioned, some might see it as a minor negative. Personally, I'd be neutral, and view it as a minor curiosity that adds a little character but no significant value.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would impact very little for me. I like the nice strike on the obverse.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 12:13PM

Not a fan of the struck through, I would certainly not pay a premium for it.

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Without knowing the date and grade it's tough to generalize this one Herb. It's not a premium, but it may not be too great of of a discount either. Has some nice micro-cracks, but I suspect they are probably showing it as some type of planchet defect, correct?

There is nothing noted on the label. It is an 1885, key date, MS64, PCGS price guide $6500

• Options

Oh, I misunderstood ... I thought it was a error label

That's a nice looking (dare I say premium) 64 if the reverse is anything like the portrait and the fields. Discount for that would be minor IMO.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2023 7:58PM

I looked closer at the reverse…not sure what this is on the back….it looks milky…it has die cracks on both sides, my favs

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

The milky on the reverse is probably the slab itself.
    I don't personally think a planchet flaw is a minting error and thus the value is slightly diminished in my mind's eye.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

agreed

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@braddick said:
    I don't personally think a planchet flaw is a minting error and thus the value is slightly diminished in my mind's eye.

Probably the slab, meaning the plastic?

• Options

The rest of the story on the reverse…

• Options

And the rest of the story on the obverse…

• Options

The obverse label

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That strike thru I'm not a big fan of. The reverse cud is neat with the added die cracks. Overall I actually like the coin.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Very nice strike. For me the strike thru is a negative on this as it is the key date. If I was paying that kind of money, I would want one without the strike thru.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2023 12:31PM

If submitted to CAC would they not bean it because of the crud or the strike through?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file