Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Maui, Hawaii 2013 Coin Report

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Took a trip to Maui last month for some business and to visit my family who lives there year round.

Visited the one local coin shop and there was nothing new and visited one of the local pawn shops that has coins and they didn't have much either. I've scored a few neat deals at both places in the past, so I try to check them out on each visit to the island.

While on a day trip to Lahaina, we decided to stop into the Baldwin House which is now a museum:

The Baldwin House

I didn't know until I was in there, but there was a neat coin exhibit on the coins used by the missionaries in Maui. The exhibit had everything from colonial coins to early US type coins to various World coins. It was pretty neat, but sorry for the dark photos. The room only had natural lighting from the small windows and there was even a flashlight attached to the case for viewing the coins! This was the best I could get with my cell phone:

The admission ticket to the Baldwin House also got us admission into the Wo Hing Museum which is a museum only a few blocks to the north.

Wo Hing Museum

This museum also had a coin exhibit of early Chinese Money which I again attempted to photograph with my cell phone:

Anyways, thought it was neat to see some coins at these places so the next time you're in Lahaina be sure to check them out!

Finally, while at the airport getting ready to fly home, I saw an enlongated penny machine that I had to play with image

Comments

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool. How they say it, Maui no ka oi? Used to have vacation rental properties on the Island but never knew there was a coin shop there. Enjoyed a revisit last summer on a cruise ship stop but again missed any numismatic connection. Did come across a neat collection of coins at a museum on Crete a few years ago though. Might be fun to have a forum just for identifying "coin collections" on display at museums around the world. Either that or one of those maps with pins that one can click to identify where public displays of unique coin collections or other items of numismatic interest can be found. Here is a link to one such map to demonstrate what I'm describing:

world pin map
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... pretty extensive..... quite interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I visited in January. The Baldwin house is neat, as is the banyan tree. Thanks for the pics. We were lucky enough to hit a clear day at the rim of Haleakala while we were there.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope to make it to Hawaii one day but probably not for coins. Sounds like you have spent a good bit of time there though. image Pretty cool.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    What? No pictures of loco moco and other touristy stuff?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>What? No pictures of loco moco and other touristy stuff?

image >>

Haha, nah! No Spam for me either!!!

We did rent a boat one of the days and got pretty close to a bunch of humpback whales that were much much larger than our boat!! A few came so close to the boat it was actually scary, could literally reach out and touch them. Didn't get pics of them super close, but did get a pic of one jumping nearby and another pic of a dolphin that was hanging around.

My sister also got one of the jumpers on video with her cell phone which was cool:

Link to Video

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhh, Maui. image

Was there for 12 days in 1998. Such fun. Would be great to have a "winter" home thereimage

Oh wait, imageimage, they have coins there too?!?! image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Maui. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

Ten years later and sadly saw reports that the Baldwin House was lost in this week's devastating Maui fire. Reminded me of the museums and this post which no longer has the photos. Will try to find them and post again. Prayers for all those affected by the fires,

• Options
    edited August 10, 2023 5:51PM
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, Very saddened to see this on the national news tonight. Stood beneath the banyan tree 5 years ago on a trip to celebrate our anniversary. Can’t imagine how this took place on a tropical island. Lahaina has been lost and her people displaced. So sorry for those who have lost their loved ones.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad indeed.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    nexlevelnmxnexlevelnmx Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2023 7:20PM

Very awful Mike!

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Maintaining hope that the Banyan tree can be saved.
    I've been there a few times since 2004.

So sad it happened.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maui in college --1972-what a great summer. The late great Pioneer Inn $8/night and the luau at dinner was great to find companionship.
    2023, same room, $373. No more luau but the new restaurant can get you breakfast for two, $100.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brutal. Just brutal.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    Maui in college --1972-what a great summer. The late great Pioneer Inn $8/night and the luau at dinner was great to find companionship.
    2023, same room, $373. No more luau but the new restaurant can get you breakfast for two, $100.

Couple slices of fruit and probably a thawed out danish. Probably didn’t even serve native Hawaiian coffee beans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file