Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1906 IHC toner. Seeking opinions.

I was just perusing the MS70 on copper thread and it prompted me to remember one of my few toned Indian Cents. This 1906 cent in an NGC holder, while not blue, is pretty interestingly toned. I am interested in opinions on the color. I am not much of a toned copper guy and have always been curious whether this coin could have got this way naturally or if it was helped in some way. Feel free to guess the grade, I'll post it in 24 hours.

As always, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. My guess is it was called "Brown." Since I don't like red copper on older copper coins, this one would be in my crosshairs if I were in the market for it. I am guessing MS-65, Brown.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color and it looks legit
    Would like to know when it was graded….3 or 4 years ago MS65BN
    Recently MS64BN

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful originally toned IHC. Great coin!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice coin. Nothing about the color strikes me as strange.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Love the color and it looks legit
    Would like to know when it was graded….3 or 4 years ago MS65BN
    Recently MS64BN

I believe this coin is in an NGC 17 holder used from Nov 2004 - Feb 2008.

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

65RB

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beaut!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bagofnickels Copy that…i will revise to MS65BN!
    I have another comment, but i would like to wait until the grade is revealed…

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    The color looks natural and attractive to me.

I will second the above.

• Options

@2windy2fish said:
    @bagofnickels Copy that…i will revise to MS65BN!
    I have another comment, but i would like to wait until the grade is revealed…

All comments are welcomed. Thanks to everyone who has guessed this far and/ or complimented the coin. I'll plan to post the grade this evening.

• Options

I am always so impressed by the skill the guessers demonstrate on this forum. @BillJones got this correct quickly as did @2windy2fish - the grade is 65BN. I've had this coin a while and the original images that were used to list if for sale didn't quite show the obverse color like the photo seal images do. I am not extremely well versed on color with respect to copper, bronze etc. I liked the strike on this coin, I tend to favor Indian cents that show good detail on the feathers of the headdress. The luster is also quite nice on this cent and the only real mark is the faint hairline scratch under the C in 'CENTS'. It is good to know that this color is seen as natural and attractive, I always found it pretty.

Thank you all once again.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t have been surprised if the coin had been designated RB.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I wouldn’t have been surprised if the coin had been designated RB.

I agree. The reverse has a good amount of red.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file