Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

And another "Grading Service" has entered the game.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my....spelling (Lierty, bicentenial)...using "rare" in the description of a coin from a mintage of >4 million. :D

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose they're in the baseball card grading business and are now branching out?
    (Does anyone here also collect baseball cards that can speak on this outfit?)

peacockcoins

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but you get free shipping!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I would send all of my early prototype cents

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with all of the existing grading services, pass.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ima stick with PCGS and NGC, thanks. 😝

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

six months after the company goes out of business, the price of the slab will skyrocket even with a common coin as its contents.

• Options

I doubt it with how cheap the holder looks, especially with that big gold sticker.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Hilarious!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not use them, but that's my choice!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amateur hour here.

Vplite99
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2023 6:18PM

If the slabs are not sonically sealed (simply snap together) I do not consider them a potential grading service contender.

The only new/future grading services to make the "A" team will require the involvement of a well known coin community name. All others will be relegated to the "self slabber" list.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it's a rarity as well 👎(pass)

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Overhead is not cheap these days, a double wide trailer on prime swampland is costly. ;)

However, a shack next to the Great Wall may not be!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sooooo many colors, and that gold foil seal looks very official. Not!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

@coinbuf said:
    Overhead is not cheap these days, a double wide trailer on prime swampland is costly. ;)

However, a shack next to the Great Wall may not be!

Lol, that could indeed be true, but then there is that shipping cost, assuming it is not paid by that govt. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Oh my....spelling (Lierty, bicentenial)...using "rare" in the description of a coin from a mintage of >4 million. :D

I'm wondering what the submission form looks like! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

The super rare bicentennial IKE in a grade of 9.0 where do I sign up.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

But will anyone buy it?

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:
    But will anyone buy it?

I'd buy it for a dollar with free shipping. ;)

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 different slabs and the one with the gold seal also you have a pic of it without the gold seal? Something strange going on here.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint 9.0 for this Ike makes me giddy with excitement, now if it had a bean I would absolutely consider it.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    2 different slabs and the one with the gold seal also you have a pic of it without the gold seal? Something strange going on here.

It looks like the one with the gold seal is in a bag/slab protector. You can see the seam/flap next to the seal. It is also apparent around the edges of the slab.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the word I'm searching for? >> 🤮

Someone needs to tell marketing, "Less is better." Not pleasant to the eyes, whatsoever!

BTW- what's suspending that coin in place?

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking the first and second tier services didn’t offer labels that were sparkly enough.

Thankfully Gold Seal stepped up to fill the vacuum.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

Hey,,,,, you want accurate grading or a spelling lesson, ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Hot garbage of course, but the lookalike (not)PSA slab shells are always a problematic thing. And for certain they don't have a sonic sealer. They might hot glue it together for you if you ask nicely.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2023 1:25AM

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they do have the word “RARE” In quotes. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first I thought this was a card grading company that graded a promotional card that somehow contained an Ike dollar. The reality is much worse.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That slab needs more stickers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file