Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Had Dinner with a few friends last night.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@ricko said:
    That is a dream coin for myself and many others. I would truly love to hold one in my hand, raw, as @CaptHenway has in the OP. Care can be taken when handling raw coins, and you can be sure that coins that old, and still raw, have passed through many hands. Cheers, RickO

I remember reading an article in one of the coin magazines back in the early 1980's which was an interview with an old retired mint employee who was involved in the melting of gold coins when he was a young man after the gold coin recall. In the interview, he specifically mentioned seeing several Panama Pacific Exposition $50 gold slugs going into the melting pot. :'(

Nooooooooooooooooo! :#

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me give you guys an idea how much I respect the opinions and judgement of the OP. I would let him hold "ALL" of my raw coins in the palms of his raw hands, provided he pull out a magic marker and signed each one when he was finished looking at them! Any questions? 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway - THAT'S SO COOL! I would love to have the opportunity to do that one day. Congrats.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    OMG! That's one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen. Thank you @MetroD. Put that at the top of my list of "dream coins". 2 1/2 oz. gold. Has the U.S. ever made anything heavier?

All - please excuse the tangent.

Not from the U.S. Mint, but these are gold and large.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    OMG! That's one of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen. Thank you @MetroD. Put that at the top of my list of "dream coins". 2 1/2 oz. gold. Has the U.S. ever made anything heavier?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@GiveMeProof said:

The largest and heaviest legal tender coin made by the US Mint is the five ounce America the Beautiful silver coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drwstr123 said:
    Some young ones here may not know the experience of holding coins in hand. Too bad. They'll probably never know.

Could not agree more. Even some old ones.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the chance to hold a raw octagonal Pan-Pac $50 once, myself, at a FUN show. It was a memorable experience.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harlan Berk once brought out a small tray of unique and near-finest known ancients. He insisted that I pick them up and enjoy them. It was a memorable experience. Gorgeous PanPac. I've handled a few in slabs. They're heavy!

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@GiveMeProof said:

OMG That is just ridiculously mind blowing.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2023 5:42AM

The 1988 Space Shuttle or Young Astronauts is a 12-ounce (one troy pound) Philadelphia Mint gold medal, and the 3-inch (48mm) gold medal issued for the 1976 Bicentennial is similar, but this is probably the winner for fun to hold.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Nothing wrong with keeping it raw and holding it. That's how you can truly appreciate and enjoy coins.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drwstr123 said:
    Some young ones here may not know the experience of holding coins in hand. Too bad. They'll probably never know.

90% of my old American gold was bought raw and remains raw (In Air-Tites) Nothing like holding historic gold coins.

Mark

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong but that particular octagonal doesn't appear to be some flavor of unc; having had some handling done to it over the years, holding it carefully in a clean and dry hand won't cause any difference in appearance. Even then, if it were a gem unc, still holding it briefly in a clean and dry hand then transferring it to a thick velvet pad wouldn't harm it any. The trick would be to prevent your hands from getting sweaty while doing so! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file