Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2023 National Thread (Last Batch of Photos added as well as Final Thoughts)

VagabondVagabond Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

So who is going and what are you looking for?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm bringing the wife, we both have VIP tickets (free stuff!) Going to make a combination, vacation/cards for me/my birthday gift.
    Looking for anything Killebrew I don't have. 1964 Bazooka full box with Killebrew is my "White Whale". Not much else I need for the Master set.
    Have some items to submit to PSA as well.
    Looking for suggestions on a seafood 🦞 restaurant (not too fancy) for a great meal.
    I am getting pretty excited!!!! 🥳🤩💥

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there, favorite trip of the year. Looking for anything Staubach, Gary Carter or unopened 1979 Topps football that I don't have.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I'm bringing the wife, we both have VIP tickets (free stuff!) Going to make a combination, vacation/cards for me/my birthday gift.
    Looking for anything Killebrew I don't have. 1964 Bazooka full box with Killebrew is my "White Whale". Not much else I need for the Master set.
    Have some items to submit to PSA as well.
    Looking for suggestions on a seafood 🦞 restaurant (not too fancy) for a great meal.
    I am getting pretty excited!!!! 🥳🤩💥

If you're not wanting something too fancy, try the sushi at the Speedway gas station.

Sorry, just green with envy... have fun and happy hunting.

Mark

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I'll be there, favorite trip of the year. Looking for anything Staubach, Gary Carter or unopened 1979 Topps football that I don't have.

Have you ever seen these? There was a small stack of these uncut sheets in an auction lot I bought.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

please post as many pictures and stories because the national is to far me to go. i can't get off of work to go anyway. i want to go to one one time. i wish it was in st louis one time that is only three hour drive for me.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

If I was going, I'd be looking for a signed and slabbed Eddie Vedder card.

Have fun to all of those that are going!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m local and planning to go a day or two. Also going to PSA registry cocktail party. Hopefully we can have some meetups. Looking forward to it.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am lucky to be local. Going to trade night Thursday then show Friday and Saturday. Hoping to scratch a biggie off my list on one of my projects.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was miserably hot on the floor today. Lots of complaints about the relative lack of A/C from both dealers and customers. Thursday's forecast is for even hotter temperatures, so it'll be interesting to see if they rectify the issue by morning.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is very big.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marc…

Thanks for spotlighting Jeff of Card Country. As you stated…he is a very good guy in our hobby. Also…it is always enjoyable to see his quality cards with a focus on centering!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some SWEET vintage!

I love the 84 Donruss Rose. That's a great photo.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

What was the price on the 1970 fb wax box (the one next to the desert shield wax box)?

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Crazy how many Jordans are available and yet the market still holds up. Looks like the PSA 10 has softened greatly though by $100K from its max price on VCP. PSA 9 seems firm at around $15K.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond thanks for the report! What a haul of Jordan rookies in those pics. Crazy!

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    What was the price on the 1970 fb wax box (the one next to the desert shield wax box)?

It was Series 1 - $75,000

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I look forward to Jeff's table every National. This may have been the first year that I hadn't bought something from him. It was definitely not for the lack of dynamite cards, however. Him and his dad are also a pleasure to talk to. He is one of the great guys of the hobby.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marc...

Great job and photos as a roving reporter. It is much appreciated for those unable to attend.

Just an FYI on the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA-10...a PSA-10 (PWCC-S) sold on PWCC last night for $222,000. That is a near term high!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Marc ---
    Thanks ever so much for the excellent photos and your insightful observations. You're so wise to stay focused on what you are on the prowl for, yet keeping an eye out for an unexpected surprise. As the guys have been saying, since we can't be there, I also thank you for thinking of us that are wishing we could be....

I sincerely pray you happen on a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens and a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly PSA 10 that you say in your heart, "THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE ONE I WANT", and can strike a deal for each. Happy hunting, my fellow collecting warrior.

--- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting all the pics! I missed going this year but plan to be in Cleveland next year. As much as the show is about cards (and in my case, packs), the real enjoyment is getting to meet up and hang out with hobby friends and fellow collectors!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@mcolney1 said:
    Crazy how many Jordans are available and yet the market still holds up. Looks like the PSA 10 has softened greatly though by $100K from its max price on VCP. PSA 9 seems firm at around $15K.

i just posted the same thing i just do not get it. i guess maybe it is i do not have one. i have jordans second year fleer.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of the dealers have a web page?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of dudes in that pic. Where are the mistresses?

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

That photo is pretty dude heavy lol. But there were lots of females trailing behind their guys today.

• Options

i was wanting to see if there were any pujols bowman chrome rookies. if i would have went to i would have wanted a walter payton rookie and a 81 topps montana.

• Options
    woodstock2woodstock2 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Marc - Thank you!!! I wish I could be there in Chicago. Your posts remind me why I love this hobby and make me incredibly excited about collecting.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just chiming in to say that the PSA Set Registry cocktail party was a nice event. They held it quite a distance from the convention (Evanston), but offered a Lyft credit for folks to get there. Nice food and drink, a couple of hundred folks in attendance and a nice chance to interact with the PSA team.

They gave out a few awards to some collectors who really built amazing sets this year, and also inducted a few people into the hall of fame, including a couple of Board members. Lots of folks were pooped from walking the show all day, and am sure the logistics of getting over from Rosemont turned some off, but a very nice event IMHO. It was nice to meet a few big registry guys who aren't really on this forum.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond Thanks for the report and the pics. Most excellent. When they have coin shows there,
    the ANA, I don't remember all of those food choices and the beer. I went in 1993, at the Mccormack
    center. I was there 3 days. Not enough time to see everything then. Came away with a big box of
    T-206s. Getting back to your pics, I was not aware of the "Pepsi" cards or the "Craftsman" cards. Once
    again, THANK YOU!!

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That PSA 8 rookie Aaron is nice.

It’s obvious I need to win the lottery because there are a ton of vintage I’d like to have in those photos.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:

Question: does "BBCE" mean the original packs are present? If so, $1000 seems like a steep premium for FASC.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2023 12:38PM

@daltex said:

@Vagabond said:

Question: does "BBCE" mean the original packs are present? If so, $1000 seems like a steep premium for FASC.

FASC is “from a sealed case” meaning that the box was pulled right from the case and no one picked through / replaced packs. Non-FASC are “buy at your own risk” - they are promising that the packs inside are legit from the year and product, but can’t promise that they are the original packs that came in the box.

I don’t know about the year shown, but if it’s common knowledge that boxes could easily be picked through to ID the desirable packs, maybe the $1K premium for FASC makes sense?

Jim

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, Fleer products have the most consistent sequencing of all of the manufacturers. Once you know the 10-15 cards that come before card X and the 10-15 cards that come after card X, you could pick through rack packs, cellos, and wax packs to identify those cards either before or after card X, and be fairly certain card X would be in that pack based on the predictable sequencing. FASC is absolutely a premium worth paying for as far as Fleer products go.

Donruss, on the other hand, had such random sequencing, that on many occasions I pulled multiples of the same card from one pack. There was a forum member that broke a box of 81 Donruss on camera and he had several packs where he pulled 4 and 5 of the same player from one pack. So in my opinion, FASC on Donruss products is a waste of money, because it's such a crapshoot on what's in the packs/box to begin with.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Ooof. $300 for a Jerry Rice rookie? They're like $185 on Ebay.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@daltex said:

@Vagabond said:

FASC is “from a sealed case” meaning that the box was pulled right from the case and no one picked through / replaced packs. Non-FASC are “buy at your own risk” - they are promising that the packs inside are legit from the year and product, but can’t promise that they are the original packs that came in the box.

I don’t know about the year shown, but if it’s common knowledge that boxes could easily be picked through to ID the desirable packs, maybe the $1K premium for FASC makes sense?

No, I understand that, but doesn't BBCE have some sort of designation like "36 Packs" for a box that appears "put together"?

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got these with tabs - looked very nice for the grades.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.