Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An Unexpected Challenge

Hello everyone! I’m interested in stories you have on a time when you were searching for a coin for your sets that you thought would be relatively easy to find but it proved to be significantly more challenging than you were expecting!

For me, it was this recent purchase of a Lincoln steel cent. For those of you that don’t know, my primary collecting goal is my Type set. I’m using a combination of the Dansco 7070, Basic Us Coin Design Set, and a few additional coins as my overall Type Set goal. The steel Lincoln cent is a part of the Dansco 7070 requirements, which I expect to complete first of the ‘three sets’, and I expected the steel Lincoln cent to be a relatively easy hole to fill. I can only assume that a lot of people need the steel Lincoln cent for type sets. It took me quite some time and being the underbidder over half a dozen times before I finally filled the ‘hole’. I’m very happy with this coin in hand as the marks that stand out a little more in a TruView don’t in hand. MS67 CAC.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

In recent years it was finding a representative coin for the British king, Henry IV, (ruled 1399 to 1413). I found a couple of his pennies at the shows, but they were terrible coins. In U.S. grading terms, they were what you would “Fair.” The dealers assured me that they were “great bargains” at prices like $2,700. :o:s

Finally I figured if was going to have to spend that kind of money that I might as well spend more and get a decent coin. So I stepped up to a gold noble.

Why are Henry IV’s coins so rare and expensive? They weighed too much. The coins that were issued from 1399 to 1411 were largely shipped to the European Continent were they were melted. The weights were reduced during the last two years of his reign, but since those pieces were made for a short time, they are also scarce.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many will i agree i believe…i have been assembling a PQ Buffalo Nickel set in XF45 To AU
    These dates have proven to be exceedingly difficult to find well struck and PQ
    1925-D
    1925-S
    1926-D

• Options

@2windy2fish said:
    Many will i agree i believe…i have been assembling a PQ Buffalo Nickel set in XF45 To AU
    1925-D
    1925-S
    1926-D

Buffalo nickels are a great set!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost any of the 1840's Philly Seated Quarters in nice mid grade. Many are as scarce as the New Orleans coins but substantially less. For instance, right now there are 43 1847-o's on ebay and only 24 1847's, most of which are junk.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheCuyunaCollection- If this is your standard you're using for the rest of your type set, you are going to have quite a type set! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    TheCuyunaCollectionTheCuyunaCollection Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited July 21, 2023 7:58PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    @TheCuyunaCollection- If this is your standard you're using for the rest of your type set, you are going to have quite a type set! 👍🏻

Thank you! I’ve been working on the set for 6 years now (same time frame I’ve been ‘seriously’ collecting coins) and I’d say my standards have evolved over time.

Unfortunately this means that I have some coins that no longer meet my standards but I’m excited to fill the remaining holes (about 20) and also ‘upstandard’ about 10 of the current coins to reach my first goal of competing the Dansco 7070 slabbed set.

• Options

@TheCuyunaCollection said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Thank you! I’ve been working on the set for 6 years now (same time frame I’ve been ‘seriously’ collecting coins) and I’d say my standards have evolved over time.

Unfortunately this means that I have some coins that no longer meet my standards but I’m excited to fill the remaining holes (about 20) and also ‘upstandard’ about 10 of the current coins to reach my first goal of competing the Dansco 7070 slabbed set.

Okay, so just to clarify. You're breaking the coins out correct?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@OAKSTAR said:

No, tracking on registry. Using combo of Dansco 7070, US Basic Coin Design Set, and a few others as the overall goal.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    1925-D
    1925-S
    1926-D

Add the 1920-S to the group.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still haven’t found it.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@2windy2fish said:
    1925-D
    1925-S
    1926-D

Add the 1920-S to the group.

Pete

The others I thought were the most difficult:

18-S
    19-S
    24-S

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@OAKSTAR said:

No, tracking on registry. Using combo of Dansco 7070, US Basic Coin Design Set, and a few others as the overall goal.

Oh okay, got it.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

A solid-for-grade, gem or better 1927 Philly Peace dollar. I've owned several. They're not supposed to be rare, but they were on the particular days, weeks, and months that I spent looking for one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file