Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wouldn't it be neat if...

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

Between the very heavy rain and 3 tornado warnings (VERY rare here in NH), we're staying home today so I thought I would try to sell some unneeded stuff on eBay. I put together a couple of groups of minor Barber dimes and quarters and one of the coins I included (until I removed it ) was the Barber quarter pictured in the photo. I guess it would qualify as a "love token"? I thought it would be fun to see if I could track this person or family down so I could return the coin. I just happened to catch the obverse engraving by chance. There are no changes to the reverse.

I found over a hundred links to a Helen Lacy and even one with the middle initial "E", but this is 2023 and the coin was minted in 1907. I bet this piece has some special memories of someone's family. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd love to return it and hear the story.

Piano 1 in wet and windy NH

Comments

• Options

Didn't mean to offend, MS66. Sorry.

Piano 1

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

No sweat, but you can edit your thread title and then have a better likelihood of attracting people interested in your topic without wasting anyone else's time. HTH

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you remember who you bought it from and where they got it from, it looks to be a tall order to find the original 'love token' owner.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the coin was already pretty worn when the engraving was applied. Maybe the birth year of the adult recipient? It would be hard to put a date on the alteration.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

People have traced love tokens to family before - reported here over the years. Seems like a fun thing to do. Let us know if you pursue the quest. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@MS66 said:

If people would stop with the clickbait thread titles? Yes, it would be neat indeed.

Sure it would!! 😂 🤣

The topic of that thread was the extraordinarily high price of a silver artifact. The thread title referenced the topic. Does this really need explaining?

• Options

Apparently, it needs explaining ...again. A thread title which references the content is not clickbait.

• Options

Or you simply could not understand the joke. But even if you couldn't: the title was accurate since it described the (truly) stratospheric cost of the silver in question. 'Shooting the moon' is a common locution and you'd have to be retarded to take it literally.

Meanwhile, since you and oakstar regularly post threads whose titles have _nothing at all _to do with the subject of the thread, I will leave you to it.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:
    Or you simply could not understand the joke. But even if you couldn't: the title was accurate since it described the (truly) stratospheric cost of the silver in question. 'Shooting the moon' is a common locution and you'd have to be retarded to take it literally.

Meanwhile, since you and oakstar regularly post threads whose titles have _nothing at all _to do with the subject of the thread, I will leave you to it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:

As long as you're throwing the 'retarded' word around, the common locution is "shoot the Moon" not 'Shooting the moon'.
    If you're going to state an exaggerated claim you might as well do so correctly.
    Also "Moon" is capitalized not lower case as you wrote it. Then again, you're probably just 'joking'.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woah guys, chill out a little bit! This was a perfectly good thread.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    edited July 17, 2023 9:15PM

Closest I could find:
    Maybe a birth/love token for Helen Gwen Lacy? This is probably the closest we’ll get.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Woah guys, chill out a little bit! This was a perfectly good thread.

Sorry @Piano1

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@MS66 said:

If people would stop with the clickbait thread titles? Yes, it would be neat indeed.

Sure it would!! 😂 🤣

The topic of that thread was the extraordinarily high price of a silver artifact. The thread title referenced the topic. Does this really need explaining?

"Silver shoots the moon" is click bait. Does that really need explaining? Silver didn't actually shoot the moon. The non-click bait title would be "overpriced Silver artifact on ebay"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 5:14AM

I have no idea what the thread is about.

Silver shoots the moon
    I know or can reasonably guess what the thread is about.

Apart from letting people know what a thread pertains to, I believe that the thread titles play a role in searches on the forum.

As for this particular thread, after being baited to click on it ;):p I read the story. It is an interesting topic that does come up once in a while.

The idea of "returning" a family memento is admirable and idealistic, but the reality is that in many cases the family didn't care about the item and that's why it was sold or discarded. (Yes, of course, there are other situations where that was not the case).

It's a different scenario, but I am reminded of a story from some years ago where a metal detectorist in Europe found an American soldier's canteen on a WWI battlefield. Based on the name scratched into the canteen he tracked down the original owner, who was still alive, and he sent it to him. It seemed like a fantastic story about reconnecting a veteran with a long-lost memento. The veteran thanked the person for his efforts, but he shrugged and wondered why the heck anyone would have bothered returning an old damaged canteen.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I have no idea what the thread is about.

Silver shoots the moon
    I know or can reasonably guess what the thread is about.

Apart from letting people know what a thread pertains to, I believe that the thread titles play a role in searches on the forum.

As for this particular thread, after being baited to click on it ;):p I read the story. It is an interesting topic that does come up once in a while.

The idea of "returning" a family memento is admirable and idealistic, but the reality is that in many cases the family didn't care about the item and that's why it was sold or discarded. (Yes, of course, there are other situations where that was not the case).

It's a different scenario, but I am reminded of a story from some years ago where a metal detectorist in Europe found an American soldier's canteen on a WWI battlefield. Based on the name scratched into the canteen he tracked down the original owner, who was still alive, and he sent it to him. It seemed like a fantastic story about reconnecting a veteran with a long-lost memento. The veteran thanked the person for his efforts, but he shrugged and wondered why the heck anyone would have bothered returning an old damaged canteen.

Not to continue the "bait" argument, but if I click on a thread that says "silver shoots the moon " I expect the price of silver to be actually doing something.

Do you really think "Morgan dollars triple in value" as a title for a thread about an over-priced ebay listing is NOT "click bait"?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usually happens when certain members get involved, this thread has devolved into a peeing contest over semantics. :/

• Options

@JBK said:
    As usually happens when certain members get involved, this thread has devolved into a peeing contest over semantics. :/

Don't be hard on @JBK. I think he was trying to make a valid point. It's also a little passive aggressive to refer to him as "certain members".

• Options

Wow, guys!!

Having started this topic (obviously with a poorly worded "clickbait"...or whatever...) I never would have thought that it would cause such controversy. 😁 I'll do my best to make my topics more specific in the future. Anyway, I hope to pursue the owner (or family) of the coin when I can and the cemetery marker post _may _in fact turn out to be very helpful. Thanks, ownerofawheatiehoard. (Do we know where the markers are located?) This goes for with the other much-appreciated comments on my mission. Thank you.

How else did I benefit from "my thread"? I learned not to write a crappy topic title again, and it caused me to look up the price of silver. I expect that the eBay listing referenced is well retired now but as I do hold a bit of silver, it's always nice to check on the market price periodically. I want to get in on the deal if the Hunt Brothers take another stab at cornering the market. Missed out the first time. Finally, I learned what "clickbait" means.

One never knows what can be learned here on the BB; but what a great place it is to hang around on! 😄

Piano 1

• Options
    edited July 18, 2023 12:01PM

@Piano1
    Jessica seems to just be an unrelated person who takes photographs of graves.

• Options

Thank you, ownerofawheatiehoard! Thus might just turn out to be very helpful for my search. I can't pursue it just now as I start treatment for prostate cancer this coming week (age 72) but it will certainly go on my to do list when I'm up and running again.

Again, thanks. I hope to be on the BB from time to time during treatment and recovery. See you there! :)

Piano 1 (Alan)

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 said:
    Thank you, ownerofawheatiehoard! Thus might just turn out to be very helpful for my search. I can't pursue it just now as I start treatment for prostate cancer this coming week (age 72) but it will certainly go on my to do list when I'm up and running again.

Again, thanks. I hope to be on the BB from time to time during treatment and recovery. See you there! :)

Piano 1 (Alan)

Piano1 I appreciate your upbeat response to all the nonsense in this thread. Good luck with your treatment.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piano1 Best of luck with your treatment!

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file