percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@percyb said:

@cohodk said:

@percyb said:

@cohodk said:

@percyb said:
    Who said inflation is low?

A gallon of gasoline is the same as 15 years ago. Is that inflation?

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epmr_pte_nus_dpg&f=m

I think you’re pulling my leg. You buy groceries lately? Or pay for services anywhere? Have you dined out?

Did you even bother to open the link and see for yourself that the average national price in summer 2008 was the same today?

I could ask you if you bothered to answer my questions?

Just to keep it polite here
    you and I simply disagree on the trajectory of inflation.

Cheers.

No I don't. I simply pointed out that gasoline is the same price as 15 years ago.

To your point, yes, other goods and services have increased. So has real median income and most assets. Social security benefits have icreased. And now, even my idle cash is making money.

Inflation is no longer accelerating.

I agree that it's no longer accelerating. I'm not sure it can't rapidly increase.

I also agree that people complain about
    gasoline prices when in actuality the price is very cheap given what it takes
    to drill for oil, process it, and deliver gas to the pump for my convenience.

Cheers!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fifteen months ago we heard how terrible it was going to be for the Europeans, that millions would be freezing to death because they can't afford gas to heat their homes.

That fear mongering narrative is now silent. What happened?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited May 31, 2023 5:05AM

Hmmmm...oil prices back to the "energy independence" days. Where's the outrage!!?? Lol

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Fifteen months ago we heard how terrible it was going to be for the Europeans, that millions would be freezing to death because they can't afford gas to heat their homes.

That fear mongering narrative is now silent. What happened?

Lucky for them, they had a very mild winter.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Natgas from the US conveniently found another big market. And their factories went on furlough. Now Germany is in recession.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 9:04AM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:
    deflation in the works?

You complained about inflation now let me guess you are going to start complaining about deflation? Which is it man?? Something other than the destruction of 'merica has to float your boat??? Let us know. THKS!

Lower prices are great, especially since wages do not get reduced as well. Wages tend to go only up, but only when a while after the cost of living goes up.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Large grade AA eggs $1.99 a dozen... and those pallets in the cooler at he store not getting any fresher... next stop 1.29...

Isn't supply and demand an amazing phenomenon?

If only it were allowed to roam freely in all matters economic.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2023 9:08AM

@Goldminers said:
    Inflation and debt are a little like blowing up a balloon. Slowly it grows larger and larger. At some point it even looks like it is not getting much larger, even with tiny increases, but the pressure keeps building, until it finally pops.

Not as long as more money is printed to support it. ;) The good news is that what ever was financed becomes worth more over time.

• Options

@cohodk said:

Inflation is no longer accelerating.

Hooray, my dollars are currently loosing only 5% a year. :o

• Options
    edited June 20, 2023 10:37PM

The truth about inflation.

"In other words, the rate seemed lower than it actually was because the base was higher in May 2022. Things were getting more expensive but more expensive at a slower rate than the previous year. Only in Washington is this good news."

• Options
    edited July 1, 2023 12:43AM

When we start inflating inflation then we have inflation inflation. And we then tax this new tax for inflation? LOL

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    When we start inflating inflation then we have inflation inflation. And we then tax this new tax for inflation? LOL

"Due to the uncertainty of inflation, I have to leave a 15% tip rather than my usual 20% tip." :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2023 4:20AM

@derryb said:

Bad marketing. They should just raise the price of the beer by 75c and the salad by $1 and eliminated the extra verbiage.

But since it's a D.C. restraurant, and DC knows taxes, a tax it shall be.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

...but a lot of restaurants pay good money to print formal menus. Should they pay to print new menus every month or so to adapt to their input price increases, or at no cost to them just add the upcharge to your receipt? Anyone who thinks "stable prices" as defined by the fed can mean 2%, 3%, 4%, etc., is delusional. It is also possibly illegal based on their charter, but there are very few politicians that will call this out. Stable prices means as close to no change over time as possible. Reality suggests that even very slight deflation is normal and even desirable due to productivity gains.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

One restaurant I patronize has this as well but I request they omit the charge and they kindly do so.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@percyb said:

@derryb said:

One restaurant I patronize has this as well but I request they omit the charge and they kindly do so.

At least we were told about it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@percyb said:

@derryb said:

At least we were told about it.

You're right, that makes it all better. LOL

• Options

Hopefully, people don't reduce the tip they leave because of this surcharge. :#

• Options

always tip in cash, your server will appreciate it

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2023 9:27AM

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:

"Due to the uncertainty of inflation, I have to leave a 15% tip rather than my usual 20% tip." :D

Just make sure your waiter/waitress knows the reason.
    Not that the establishment would care since 1987.

We have a place here that adds 18% gratuity on a table of six or more.
    Problem is they don't say so you have to read your bill to find out.
    How many people just pay and tip without looking over the bill?
    This was on a dinner out with two other couples.
    3 couples at the same table, SEPARATE CHECKS still constitutes as a table of 6.
    Each couple was billed an extra 18% gratuity.
    2 of the 3 didn't catch it on the bill.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Boomer tips are no longer relevant, tip more your server DEPENDS on it. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

or just give them cash, more money in their pocket. RGDS

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

or just give them cash, more money in their pocket. RGDS

Yes cash but not boomer cash. 8-15% on your $3.99 pancake brunch just doesn't cut it. RGDS!!!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Looks to me like somebody Voluntarily bought, and presumably paid for, about $7.75 worth of Food and Beverage, and some $50+ worth of Service, (and, hopefully, significant Ambiance 😀)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Where was this bought with a 10% sales tax? :o

• Options
    joelazjoelaz Posts: 9 ✭✭

Washington DC. One reason why I don't go there much, even though I live in Northern Virginia.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty is expensive.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Liberty is expensive.

It was costly in life and limb to those who fought to obtain it and those who fought to keep it. Today it is expensive in dollar terms only because we have been conditioned by officials to believe the waste of money is necessary.

• Options

The price of money has gone up.

The interest rate is the price of money. It’s a price.

• Options

@derryb said:

I know my bank account has certainly gone up. Keep raising them. THKS!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 6:38PM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

I know my bank account has certainly gone up. Keep raising them. THKS!

Most here (but not you) understand that inflation has caused the purchasing power of their bank account balance to go down. Unless of course your bank is paying a higher rate than the rate at which your dollars are losing purchasing power. LOL

• Options

My bank is paying a higher interest rate than the current inflation rate. That is a fact.

I know you are hell bent on always trying to make EVERYTHING doom and gloom. I'm starting to suspect it has to be what you are being paid to do. Nobody on this planet can be as negative as what is contained in your 80-100 post a day.....And if that is the way you really are you desperately need to step outside and let them beautiful rays of sun shine down on that depressed grape of yours. RGDS!

• Options
    edited August 16, 2023 5:40AM

There is hope, but only for those who have prepared themselves.

• Options

I sure hope my retirement will be much more constructive (and enjoyable) than yours. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    I sure hope my retirement will be much more constructive (and enjoyable) than yours. RGDS!

I'm training you.