Home Sports Talk
Options

Sports rants - when you just can't take it anymore!

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2023 4:59PM in Sports Talk

I don't recall a thread on here where you can bitch about your team doing bad or coaches costing their teams a win................So bitch away, this may become interesting and informative to others.............

Mine tonight, in the first 2 innings Guardians pitcher Cal Quantrill has sucked lately but Francona just keeps putting him out there! Tonight - 2 innings - 5 hits, 7 runs. Cleveland can't afford this to happen as they can't score runs and for everybody this game is over!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options

And Boston Celtics laying down last night !

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 5:25PM

Outstanding idea for a thread!

Us Pats/Sox fans should have plenty of rants to post! Lol

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, nothing to complain about, totally satisfied with my team.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    And Boston Celtics laying down last night !

This is what the Trash Talk Gods think of your repeated use of this Celtics meme, either step your game up or bow out faster than the Cavs did in Round one. 😉👍

• Options

@erikthredd said-
    This is what the Trash Talk Gods think of your repeated use of this Celtics meme, either step your game up or bow out faster than the Cavs did in Round one. 😉👍

Well now, a few replies in and we got a throwdown - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said-

Well now, a few replies in and we got a throwdown - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you really don't want me throwing my cat into the ring, he's been training with Jedi's. 😎

• Options
    edited May 30, 2023 6:29PM

This is going to be fun 💥💥💥

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went nutso when my favorite sports team (Denver Broncos) lost Superbowls in 1978, 1987, 1988 and 1990.

Redemption came when the Broncs won the 1998 and the 1999 Superbowls.

After these two wins my fanatical behavior (during highs and lows) went away for the most part.

Now I watch sports as one of life's simple pleasures.

It is entertainment and it puts on display (most of the time) the wonder and magnificence of the human body, mind, heart and soul.

Someone of notoriety was once asked why he read the sports section of a newspaper. He said he preferred reading about human achievements instead of human failings.

In any event this thread should be pretty good and it may just have legs and staying power.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 2:20AM

Come see me when your team loses 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Mike drop. Thread closed

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

Come see me when your team loses 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Mike drop. Thread closed

Facts

• Options

As much as I complain about the Sox and now Patriots, there is no place in sports like being a New England/Boston sports fan.

2004 Sox was the greatest sports story ever

Patriots speak for themselves

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, call me when this is your quarterback for 11 seasons. Mike explosion.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 deuces.

Denver did lose four Superbowls from 1978 to 1990 to go 0-4.

Not quite like Buffalo losing 4 Superbowls in consecutive years, but close.

Buffalo could have avoided going 0-4 in consecutive years by simply not beating Denver 10-7 in an AFC championship game. Doing so made it and not Denver the sacrificial lamb in the Superbowl.

Mike drop. :)

• Options

Hey, New England has lost 5 Super Bowls throughout the years, life has been hard as a Patriots fan. 😎

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an Illini fan, we keep getting rule changes because of being screwed over.

1. 1984, Illinois basketball had to play Kentucky at Rupp arena in the NCAA regional final. After that, the NCAA changed the rule that a team could not play an NCAA game in it's home arena.
    2. September 2000. Illinois football AT michigan. The Big Ten said Monday that two game-turning fumble calls late in Michigan's 35-31 victory over Illinois were mistakes, and Illini coach Ron Turner called on the NCAA to use instant replay to review such plays.
      Big Ten officiating coordinator David Parry said both disputed fumble rulings would have gone Illinois' way instead of Michigan's if an NFL-style instant replay system was in use Saturday. The next year the Big Ten instituted replays.
    3. Illini basketball 2013 second round of the NCAA against Miami. Illinois was down 57-55 with 45 seconds left when senior guard D.J. Richardson attempted a 3-pointer from the wing. Richardson’s shot was short and his ball appeared to be knocked out of bounds by Miami’s Kenny Kadji, who had jumped to try grabbing the ball. The referee along the baseline awarded the ball to Miami. The next year, the NCAA started using replays in the final 2 minutes of games for out of bounds calls on deflections.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been bitching and complaining ever since I was little…

How come the Cowboys well most of the time gets to play on Thanksgiving???

like back then I would have rather liked to watch: Steelers have the early game and then the Raiders start up around 3:30…

I could go on here for days tapping the keyboard bitching & complaining; although I do not want to be incarcerated or kicked off the forum here… :)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia's schedule is very weak, especially the 4 non-conference games.
    Just pitiful, ticks me off.....okay rant over... :#

Michigan, not much better....c'mon man, play somebody... B)

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

If anybody doesn't like their teams losing a superbowl game you are welcome to become a Browns fan - they have never lost a superbowl game............ :D

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Georgias schedule isnt actually that bad, most of why everyone is saying its so weak is because of how good they think Georgia will be. The out of conference games no major program ever schedules more than one big game for that. They were supposed to be starting a 2 year home and away series with Oklahoma this year. When Oklahoma and Texas came to an agreement to leave the BIG 12 a year early the SEC told Georgia and Oklahoma to cancel the game. Only playing one of the two games would have created a lot of legal issues over revenue with the TV networks, conferences, and just isnt worth letting all the money from the game go to lawyers in court. That left them scrambling since everyone else had their schedules and now they get to pay Ball State 1 million+ to lose.

UT Martin might have been a spite scheduling. Their coach is the father of 5 star Alabama QB Ty Simpson whose been waiting in the wings to take over when Young left, he may not win the job but still. But every team does that and some big time names never even schedule a single legitimate out of conference game.

Kentucky should be better as well with a real QB now, Ole Miss if they can tighten up the defense isnt a cupcake and has done real well in the portal, Auburn will be better and is never a fun place to play out, going to the swamp isnt easy either and they should be better with out AR. Tennessee might take a step back and Milton will probably get the first crack, but they have a 5 star very highly recruited QB in Nico that looked like a 3rd year starter in Heisman contention during the spring if Milton struggles. Even South Carolina beat Clemson and Tennessee last year and is a good team when Rattler is on, hes just not always on.

It might be one of the weaker SEC schedules, but that still means its one of the hardest in the country and isnt the cake walk everyone is projecting it to be. People just think GA is unbeatable at this point

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minnesota Twins are using a hideous new logo on their hats
    This is the one I grew up with;

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    [ Minnesota Twins are using a hideous new logo on their hats!
    This is the one I grew up with;]

I don't get the new logo - looks more like a it could be for a new MACY'S logo!
    >

• Options

Listening to the Guardians game today on the radio and I hear one of the announcers say "IF the season ended today the playoff teams would be........." - REALLY? 1/3 of the way through the season and wer'e worrying about the post season???

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    [ Minnesota Twins are using a hideous new logo on their hats!
    This is the one I grew up with;]

I don't get the new logo - looks more like a it could be for a new MACY'S logo!
    >

The Twins played the Astros the other day. Astro's jerseys said "Spacecity" on the front.

WTF?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Listening to the Guardians game today on the radio and I hear one of the announcers say "IF the season ended today the playoff teams would be........." - REALLY? 1/3 of the way through the season and wer'e worrying about the post season???

1/3 of the season has always been an indicator for the playoffs. It’s just a talking point of who’s already out of the running, not who’s going in. We can safely say the A’s won’t make it.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that after 6 SBs in the bag in the last 20 years, I can settle and enjoy the Patriots a little more.

That being said, If they found themselves in the SB again, I would be pacing the floor, BP at 140/210 and not enjoying one single minute of it because I get so worked up. I really only enjoy the SB's after they are over and i can rewatch.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2023 5:59AM

I have also found myself with the Grief quotient being way higher after the losses than the euphoric quotient after Championship wins if that makes sense.

For me, the losses hurt way more than the wins feel good. I will never ever ever get over the 07 team losing that stupid game to NY. I still havent rewatched that game and i never will.

I also just cant get over the loss to Phi when BB refused to play Butler because of a team violation. That definitely took BB down a few notches for me. His hubris certainly cost SB #7

oh, and by the way, get off my lawn!!!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I find that after 6 SBs in the bag in the last 20 years, I can settle and enjoy the Patriots a little more.

That being said, If they found themselves in the SB again, I would be pacing the floor, BP at 140/210 and not enjoying one single minute of it because I get so worked up. I really only enjoy the SB's after they are over and i can rewatch.

100000000% agreed

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I'm a Michigan guy and I hate our schedule. So weak.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Maybe in a world where the 1980 Olympics never happened...

• Options

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

1980 Miracle on Ice was up there, but 2004 was much bigger in my opinion.

I'm a homer but even people that hate Boston can't argue how big of a story that playoff series was

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I'm a homer but even people that hate Boston can't argue how big of a story that playoff series was

The only knock on the miracle on ice was that it wasnt the gold medal game. The significance of that game world wide beating the unbeatable USSR team making a comeback is far more important than the Boston breaking a steak. We wont see something like that again, but Boston won more titles and the Cubs broke their steak too. Not to mention Schilling and Manny were the anchors of the 04 Sox team and the media just loves to bring them down for a couple years now. No ones saying breaking the streak wasnt a huge thing for baseball, but the miracle on ice was a huge thing for the country and the world

• Options
    edited June 1, 2023 11:38PM

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I can see it being bigger to the people in Massachusetts but in the realm of sports history? Nah. Which is not to say it's not a BIG deal. Not doubting that but amateurs beating the best team in the world - and then managing to gather themsemves and win the gold after it - is a much bigger deal than the team with the 3rd best record in the majors winning the World Series. whatever their road to get there.

And the movie about the 1980 team is a whole lot better ;)

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

The only knock on the miracle on ice was that it wasnt the gold medal game. The significance of that game world wide beating the unbeatable USSR team making a comeback is far more important than the Boston breaking a steak. We wont see something like that again, but Boston won more titles and the Cubs broke their steak too. Not to mention Schilling and Manny were the anchors of the 04 Sox team and the media just loves to bring them down for a couple years now. No ones saying breaking the streak wasnt a huge thing for baseball, but the miracle on ice was a huge thing for the country and the world

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I can see it being bigger to the people in Massachusetts but in the realm of sports history? Nah. Which is not to say it's not a BIG deal. Not doubting that but amateurs beating the best team in the world - and then managing to gather themsemves and win the gold after it - is a much bigger deal than the team with the 3rd best record in the majors winning the World Series. whatever their road to get there.

And the movie about the 1980 team is a whole lot better ;)

The great thing about sports and CU sports talk is we are all entitled to say what was most exciting and important.

I absolutely understand the dynamics of 1980 but for a Boston guy it's secondary to 2004, I don't expect to sell that to anyone but it's good enough for me

• Options

the 04 ALCS and the 28-3 SB are far and away my 2 personal biggest sporting events. I understand the 1980 Hockey team, but I just am not a big fan of hockey and I also have very little interest in amateur sporting events.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2023 9:41AM

@craig44 said:
    the 04 ALCS and the 28-3 SB are far and away my 2 personal biggest sporting events. I understand the 1980 Hockey team, but I just am not a big fan of hockey and I also have very little interest in amateur sporting events.

The 28-3 comeback was probably better than 2001? Or close to it

Regarding the 2004 ALCS, people forget that the year before Aaron Boone hit that dreadful HR to get the Yanks to the World Series, it was Bucky Dent all.over again

• Options

03 was pretty bad. If I remember correctly, it was in extra innings off of Wakefield

• Options

@craig44 said:
    03 was pretty bad. If I remember correctly, it was in extra innings off of Wakefield

11th inning off Wakefield

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

when Wakefield's knuckler didn't knuckle it went about 475 feet

• Options
    edited June 6, 2023 4:30PM

Pitch clock in baseball and umpires thinking people are there to watch them.

Southern Miss was playing UPenn in a winner take all elimination game to get to the college super regionals. Bases loaded 2 outs 3-2 count, umpire calls a pitch clock violation on the batter and ends the inning. Southern Miss (which was the better team) won by 4 but that could have been a big thing.

I'm not sure how many people turn on a game and think I really hope I get to see a pitch clock violation especially in a major spot, especially with the batter in the box and already moving to get ready when its called, but I cant imagine its many if at all

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Southern Miss was playing UPenn in a winner take all elimination game to get to the college super regionals. Bases loaded 2 outs 3-2 count, umpire calls a pitch clock violation on the batter and ends the inning. Southern Miss (which was the better team) won by 4 but that could have been a big thing.

I'm not sure how many people turn on a game and think I really hope I get to see a pitch clock violation especially in a major spot, especially with the batter in the box and already moving to get ready when its called, but I cant imagine its many if at all

I've mentioned before that I love the pitch clock but I'm not even sure why this was a violation. There were still 10 seconds left on the clock though the batter was still farting around and not ready. How long does the offense get in college? I can't seem to find anything indicating when the hitter is required to be ready.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

I've mentioned before that I love the pitch clock but I'm not even sure why this was a violation. There were still 10 seconds left on the clock though the batter was still farting around and not ready. How long does the offense get in college? I can't seem to find anything indicating when the hitter is required to be ready.

Its kind of complicated for college. As a little background on it MLB has influence over the NCAA rules to some extent in exchange for keeping the draft rule that if you go to a four year school you have to finish your junior year or turn 21 instead of just letting them be drafted whenever like in JUCO and the rule changes to the clocks this year were almost certainly influenced behind the scenes by MLB. Its not a coincidence that their rule changed the same time MLB started theirs.

College has had the pitch clock for years and its worked great. It used to be that it was a 20 second clock only when no one was on base and the batter had to be ready by 5 seconds. You would get a warning for the first violation and they gave some leeway with it.

Now this year its turned into 20 seconds every pitch, no more warnings, and the batter has to be ready with 10 seconds left. What doesnt make sense is that the batter is essentially always technically ready. Youre only allowed to step out of the box in college after a swing or if you get brushed back, wild pitch, play on a stolen base, things of that nature and even then you arent allowed to leave the dirt. If you take a pitch you have to stay in the box.

In this case he was in the box and less than a half second away from being fully ready eventhough he was already ready. This was an ump show moment that was because the NCAA is encouraging it. The new adjustments to the rules and quick triggers have been a problem all year. LSU got the final strikeout to end a game with a pitch clock violation strike, thankfully they were up by like 6 at the time.

To make matters worse its not until like 2024 or 2025 where its required to have the clock visible to everyone. What has happened on more than one occasion particularly in the SEC where baseball is massive is fans would start chanting false time countdowns to get the pitcher to rush or get a ball called. Obviously the big schools fairly quickly got the clocks up after that early start of that.

Imagine that Southern Miss call happening in the elimination game of the Divisional playoffs or wildcard game, but thats what that game was the equivalent too. Its only a matter of time until one of these calls happens in MLB too that has a major impact

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

DITTO! One of the stupidest ideas ever approved! You used to go to a baseball game to relax for 3 hours but no more........ Get up to take a piss and buy a dog and a beer and you miss 2 innings!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Basebal21 said:

DITTO! One of the stupidest ideas ever approved! You used to go to a baseball game to relax for 3 hours but no more........ Get up to take a piss and buy a dog and a beer and you miss 2 innings!

The last game I went to the first 5 innings took 3 hours...........no thanks.

The pitch clock is a good thing.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

If you were in a hurry why go to the game at all? NBA game 3 hours +, NFL game 3 hours +, College Football 3 hours+ , wonder why baseball was chosen to be regulated?

• Options

Butler/Adabayo combined - 18 of 45 from the field........... Damn, gotta get MJ to tell them this is the finals.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

If you were in a hurry why go to the game at all? NBA game 3 hours +, NFL game 3 hours +, College Football 3 hours+ , wonder why baseball was chosen to be regulated?

The other sports you mentioned all run on a clock. Why aren't you calling for the elimination of the shot clock or the play clock?

There's a big difference between being in a hurry and not wanting a 9-inning game to take 4:15. Especially since, as the pitch clock has proven, the ONLY reason games took that long was players delaying things unnecessarily.

• Options

WOW! Boston manager Cora leaves Corey Kluber in the game - Kluber is just throwing batting practice - 8 straight hits and 5 runs in the 6th.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Why aren't you calling for the elimination of the shot clock or the play clock?

Oh Jeez, because this is a rant page NOT an activist page!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Because I don't want to be at the ballpark until 2AM.

You are right about one thing, I wasn't going to go to anymore games.

Now I might.