Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Combining holder sizes for submission

Does anyone know if you can combine holder sizes to meet the minimum number of cards for a value bulk submission? For example, if I was doing a pre-1980 submission, could I combine regular cards with 1969 Topps Basketball tall boys? I know they will charge two different return postage amounts, but I am just wondering about whether I can combine the two different sizes to reach the 20-card minimum. I reached out to customer service but didn't hear anything back yet,

Comments

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

I combined 1969 Basketball with regular size and all was fine. I did it many times previous and did it on the FEB vintage special just recently.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

You will be fine because they are in the same category as regular size cards. Basically, besides the grading category (bulk, TCG bulk, specials etc) and the autograph(dual) grades/authentication, the only other thing that decides what should seperate a submission is the item type (slab size/style) as shown in this image from the submission screen...

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Rufuss -

I saw that item type screen as well. That's what got me thinking about in the first place, I guess. Now my question would be - if they are grouped that way, will there be two separate shipments back or can all be shipped together under one charge?

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

Same shipment.

Matt

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    You will be fine because they are in the same category as regular size cards. Basically, besides the grading category (bulk, TCG bulk, specials etc) and the autograph(dual) grades/authentication, the only other thing that decides what should seperate a submission is the item type (slab size/style) as shown in this image from the submission screen...

1967 topps pin-ups allow you to submit under the regular category even though the sizing doesn't fit in the posted guidelines. Will they recharge a higher fee or accept that submission?

@secretstash said:

@RufussCkingston said:

1967 topps pin-ups allow you to submit under the regular category even though the sizing doesn't fit in the posted guidelines. Will they recharge a higher fee or accept that submission?

I'm going to imagine that the database isn't really coded by card/case size. As long as the item falls in the year/type range for the submission type, it will probably populate. I guess you could submit them as you state claiming ignorance and see if they catch it. Worst case I imagine either at the intake or the QA2 stage when they go to charge you, you'll get an email saying that you submitted incorrectly and it is time to pay the man!!

• StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

This is the answer I just got back from PSA customer service:

**__Thank you for reaching out to PSA Customer Care, my name is Ruben and I'll be happy to help with this inquiry.

In regard to your inquiry, unfortunately, all items would have to be the same holder sizes as all 20 items would need to be submitted on one submission form to qualify for the special.

If the holder sizes are different they would need to be submitted differently and with that being said we cannot combine submission forms in order to qualify for a special. I sincerely apologize as we cannot accommodate your request at this time. **__

So, even though they mention different sizes as counting for the special ("regular size cards"), it sounds like they are saying you can't mix holder sizes. You may be able to also send in all tall boys, just not mix them with the regular cards and you'd need 20 tall boys or 20 regular vintage to qualify for the special.

edited May 16, 2023 3:11PM

@Statman said:
    This is the answer I just got back from PSA customer service:

**__Thank you for reaching out to PSA Customer Care, my name is Ruben and I'll be happy to help with this inquiry.

In regard to your inquiry, unfortunately, all items would have to be the same holder sizes as all 20 items would need to be submitted on one submission form to qualify for the special.

If the holder sizes are different they would need to be submitted differently and with that being said we cannot combine submission forms in order to qualify for a special. I sincerely apologize as we cannot accommodate your request at this time. **__

So, even though they mention different sizes as counting for the special ("regular size cards"), it sounds like they are saying you can't mix holder sizes. You may be able to also send in all tall boys, just not mix them with the regular cards and you'd need 20 tall boys or 20 regular vintage to qualify for the special.

Ignore what he told you as that is wrong, or at least only partially explained it in the sense that you can't COMBINE different submissions,... Sometimes even regular cards get sent in, and due to micro differences in sizing you get back normal slabs and then some in slabs that don't have rails and are just held in place by mylar on top of the card.

Don't overthink it. If everything you enter into the form falls under the "size" option you checked at the beginning, you will be fine. I've sent round discs, oversize (between regular and tall boy), and normal cards all in the same sub and they come right back no issue.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

I did a dry run submission without the final steps using 20 1967 Pin ups under $19 bulk special. I figure somewhere down the line an upcharge will apply. Seems the system doesn't automatically catch stuff, but relies on the submitter to enter correct level of service.

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

I know I have submitted tall boys and regular cards in same submission for a while now. Unless the service levels description says no tall boys then you should be able to do it.

Matt

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    I did a dry run submission without the final steps using 20 1967 Pin ups under $19 bulk special. I figure somewhere down the line an upcharge will apply. Seems the system doesn't automatically catch stuff, but relies on the submitter to enter correct level of service.

DO NOT SEND

The 5x7 service level is $150 per card.

That’s no small upcharge, my friend. Even if they come back all 10’s, recouping $3000 might be tough.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@Statman said:
    Does anyone know if you can combine holder sizes to meet the minimum number of cards for a value bulk submission? For example, if I was doing a pre-1980 submission, could I combine regular cards with 1969 Topps Basketball tall boys? I know they will charge two different return postage amounts, but I am just wondering about whether I can combine the two different sizes to reach the 20-card minimum. I reached out to customer service but didn't hear anything back yet,

Tall boys and regular cards in one sub is fine.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@RonSportscards said:

DO NOT SEND

That’s no small upcharge, my friend. Even if they come back all 10’s, recouping $3000 might be tough.

Oh, I know I know. LOL
    I have Zenith 8x10, Studios, 93 McDonalds Gameday sheets, and various other uncut panels I would like encased., but PSA prices are crazy. Not high dollar stuff worth grading at $150. Even if they offer a 1/2 price special, its priced out.
    I can't get a definite answer, but it seems Beckett would charge $24 ($16+8upcharge) if sent in bulk for oversize.
    If only they responded to emails.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

DO NOT SEND

You're saying PSA doesn't offer any alternatives to this for 1967 topps or other pinups? 90% of the set in the PSA 2-5 range sells for below $50 and some even in PSA 7 sell for below $100. Riddle me that. Maybe all PSA graded 1967 pinups selling below $150 are at a discount. :D

@secretstash said:

@RonSportscards said:

DO NOT SEND

You're saying PSA doesn't offer any alternatives to this for 1967 topps or other pinups? 90% of the set in the PSA 2-5 range sells for below $50 and some even in PSA 7 sell for below $100. Riddle me that. Maybe all PSA graded 1967 pinups selling below $150 are at a discount. :D

Unless I’m reading it wrong, the cheapest price for items in a T3 holder (5x7) is Express at $150 per.

It used to be the same as a regular card.

@secretstash said:

@RonSportscards said:

DO NOT SEND

And that's true. I have an oversized card needed for set registry. $5 raw + $150 (or maybe $95, I forget) grading. Or find one on ebay and overpay $75 for it, and still come out "ahead". Sad.