Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Book Reference...

AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2018 10:40PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello. Anyone knows a good reference about the coins of the Republics of South and North Peru? Or for that matter the coins minted during the Peru-Bolivian Confederation? Thanks.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try en.ucoin.net as their database goes way back. Let us know. Post a close sharp image of obv and rev of something special. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting site. But I am looking more for information on numismatics and historical background. That said, this looks great @Namvet69

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if The Coins of Independent Peru (in 6 volumes) by Horace P. Flatt covers this. My copies are still packed in boxes, so I am unable to check, but perhaps you can look for these. It's a pretty scarce set these days even though they were issued in the late 1990s.

@pruebas Just ordered volume 1 a couple of days ago, as it was available on Amazon. But the others nowhere to be found. And I cannot find anything else.

Found volumes 1, 3, and 5 so far...

@Abuelo have you found the books useful?

How seriously are you collecting Peru? Peruvian patterns are my sub-specialty (along with Japanese patterns).

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try abebooks.com as seems to be a central database for books thru that site. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@pruebas said:
    @Abuelo have you found the books useful?

How seriously are you collecting Peru? Peruvian patterns are my sub-specialty (along with Japanese patterns).

I am very interested on the coins for the Peru-Bolivia Federation (i.e. North and South Peru circa 1836-9). But I do not own any coins yet. I wanted to document myself before doing any purchases. Also, to get time to cool down. My primary interests are CAR and Mexico and there are for sure millions of coins I do not own so not sure I want to expand my horizons just yet. For now, just learning...

@Namvet69 said:
    Try abebooks.com as seems to be a central database for books thru that site. Peace Roy

I did try. Difficult to find these little books...

@pruebas I do not if you remember how many volumes there are on Flatt's? I have so far volumes I to V but not clear if there are more. Thanks.

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas I do not if you remember how many volumes there are on Flatt's? I have so far volumes I to V but not clear if there are more. Thanks.

There are six volumes. Volume six is very difficult to obtain. My understanding is that some boxes of that volume got water damaged and probably discarded. My copy has a bit of water damage.

@Abuelo give a call to dealer Jeff Zarit in Wylie TX. I remember he used to sell these. Maybe he has a pointer (or spare copy to sell you).

@pruebas thank you!

@Abuelo, I just communicated with Dale Seppa, and he has one set of Vol 1-5 available, but no Vol 6. He said he is buying Vol 6 because he has several customers looking for them!

You're going to have to try to find one in an out of the way place.

Yes, nowhere to be found. I contacted Mr Zarit and he has none. While volumen VI is the least relevant to me, would be nice to have them all. I also got a book by Bischoff, available on line. Looks nice yet I have not read it yet. Just got it like one hour ago.

Bishoff, that would be The Coinage of El Peru, which is a compilation of the papers presented at the ANS Coinage if the Americas Conference.

There’s a great paper by William Christensen on Peruvian patterns in that volume.

That is the one.

Anyone familiar with "The Coinage of Peru" by Grunthal and Sellschopp?

• AchoriAchori Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@pruebas i got that set from Dale Seppa 1-5 Volume of Flatts books. Moreover, I acquired the 6th volume some months ago.

@Abuelo I have the book from Grunthal and Sellschop as well, it’s a good book.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Achori said:
    @pruebas i got that set from Dale Seppa 1-5 Volume of Flatts books. Moreover, I acquired the 6th volume some months ago.

@Abuelo I have the book from Grunthal and Sellschop as well, it’s a good book.

Welcome to the forum @Achori - glad to have you here and looking forward to seeing your Peruvians and other coins.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m looking for a set of these as well if anyone has a spare.

• AchoriAchori Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki thank you! Will be posting some!

Just found volumes 1-5 on eBay. Picked it up quickly!

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Bishoff, that would be The Coinage of El Peru, which is a compilation of the papers presented at the ANS Coinage if the Americas Conference.

There’s a great paper by William Christensen on Peruvian patterns in that volume.

I believe I was able to download this in PDF from the internet. I haven't read it all but it seems to be mostly about cob coinage. I was primarily interested in it hoping it would have something on pillars but essentially nothing. It does mention the striking of pillar patterns but never read this elsewhere, other than the 1729 Madrid 8R listed in Gilboy.

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

I believe I was able to download this in PDF from the internet. I haven't read it all but it seems to be mostly about cob coinage. I was primarily interested in it hoping it would have something on pillars but essentially nothing. It does mention the striking of pillar patterns but never read this elsewhere, other than the 1729 Madrid 8R listed in Gilboy.

I haven’t read the article in a while, but I think it was strictly Republic.

I’ve not read anything about Colonial patterns, such as they are. I’ve got a few Colonial trials, and some matricies (basically dies for punches), but all the written info is scattered around in various old books, generally in Spanish.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

@pruebas said:

I haven’t read the article in a while, but I think it was strictly Republic.

I’ve not read anything about Colonial patterns, such as they are. I’ve got a few Colonial trials, and some matricies (basically dies for punches), but all the written info is scattered around in various old books, generally in Spanish.

I'm looking at it now. It's the one by Bishoff. The information I am referring to is in a section titled "Survey of Issues" . However, I was mistaken that the author definitively states other pillar patterns were struck as no evidence is given. It does state that Portrait patterns are known, including a full set from Santiago. I didn't read this here before.

Thanks @Boosibri , got 1-5.

I bought a set from them to get number 6 To complete the set for me. I Figure 1-5 has to be worth the $50 they are asking to resell.

Interesting approach.

@Abuelo said:
    Interesting approach.

Interesting, maybe not smart :)

Well, they just doubled the price to $100 so I guess I didn't do too poorly at $50. They are also selling each book for $25 now with no individual sale on the tough 6th issue.

@Boosibri likely they broke a set to sell 6, and now the leftovers are listed individually.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, I guess too many of us here purchased a set. Do they notify when they ship? Haven't heard a peep out of them since I placed my order.

@Boosibri said:
    Well, they just doubled the price to $100 so I guess I didn't do too poorly at $50. They are also selling each book for $25 now with no individual sale on the tough 6th issue.

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmm, I guess too many of us here purchased a set. Do they notify when they ship? Haven't heard a peep out of them since I placed my order.

@Boosibri said:

Same

I have bought in the past many times from them, and they ship fast but I do not recall a notice.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine today!

@Boosibri said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Boosibri said:

Same

@amwldcoin said:
    Got mine today!

@Boosibri said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Boosibri said:

Same

Same again

• marmacmarmac Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

Hello All- pulling this one up to the top as I am in pursuit of this set. Anyone know of an existence of available copies? Thanks