Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'll take ten, please !

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was recently at a local coin shop and saw this coin for what I thought was a good price. So I brought it home. I knew that it was a scarcer proof-only date. Later I decided to look it up in my recent Red Book. All of these late-date proof-only Trade Dollars seem to be under-priced in relation to many other coins, especially when in presentable circulated grades. The Red Book lists the total mintage for the date of 1,541 pieces. The price shown is $1,250 for EF-40 (I paid 60% of that).

Then I noticed the listing for one of the other dates in the proof-only run. I'll buy all 10 for that price ! ;)

Comments

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cat is out of the bag now
    Better move fast 😄

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and even greater photography.

peacockcoins

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful coin.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan was on the prowl! Nice pick up. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of foreign moderns have very low mintages and values around $2.

"Low mintage" in moderns usually mean hundreds or maybe thousands rather than "10".

Tempus fugit.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice, I like 👍

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a find that would be.... I often check yard sales, hoping 'grand dad's' attic collection goes on sale... and perhaps a treasure (such as the one @dcarr mentioned) is among the coins. No luck so far, but hope springs eternal in the treasure hunters mind... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the information!

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that it's free of bag marks and so strongly struck makes it more attractive than the vast majority of XF circulation strikes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if any got made into potty dollars 🤔

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

But you're not listening. The Red Book says that ten were minted, not that ten exist in PR-40. You just can't buy "all ten".

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    But you're not listening. The Red Book says that ten were minted, not that ten exist in PR-40. You just can't buy "all ten".

Of course I realize that. I'm pointing out the Red Book error. I would buy any grade genuine 1884 Trade Dollar with a readable date for the $1,250 price, even if it was significantly damaged. But I doubt that any of them exist below PR-60 grade. I presume that the authors of the Red Book intended to leave the $1,250 spot blank, like they did for the 1885 issue.
    But, by mistake, they carried the EF-40 $1,250 price down one line too far.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet pickup! On the 1884 Red Book listing, that error is amusing. I think in future editions they should list the mintage as 284 with an asterisk/footnote stating 10 known to survive similar to what was done for the 1933 Double Eagles.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats- nice find

-Just a quick observation as to low mintage moderns- It really is not about the mintage- it is about the surviving population that has not been melted

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, the 84 is a sweet deal, but I’m waiting for the Red Book to start selling 1885’s in XF.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great coin right there would have bought that as well in a heartbeat nice find!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

No shop worth its salt sell significantly under market and most all of them sell on ebay after doing market analysis.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very clean Trade Dollar! Nice pick!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarely do I get jealous of coins, yet this Trade dollar brings out the emotion in me!

:)

peacockcoins

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    No shop worth its salt sell significantly under market and most all of them sell on ebay after doing market analysis.

Obviously Mr Carr knows what he's doing but I sure wouldn't. How is he sure it's genuine? Why did proofs enter circulation? I have no idea.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason the 1884 proof Trade dollar is so expensive is because far fewer of these survived: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1884-t-1-trade/7064

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file