Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Reholder Fee

What is the fee to Reholder a card? Is the fee based upon the value of the card? Can anybody point me to where it says the fees on PSA’s website? I can’t seem to find it.

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

About halfway down the page; starts at $25…

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• liquidating_my_youthliquidating_my_youth Posts: 12
    edited May 4, 2023 4:52PM

I had three done a few months ago. It was $75 plus $29 for the insured return shipping (max declared value under $5000).

Two Koosman/Ryan rookies (4 and 6) and a UD Griffey Jr. rookie (8).

I originally got them graded in the early-mid 2000s and they were all scratched up and discolored from dust.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 1:34PM

I've often questioned.....how do they get cards out of the holders for reholders and crossovers ?? PSA has NEVER given a statement on this and I'm completely unaware of a machine or something that would do this. I mean BVG, CSG, SGC etc. have all different type holders. I've busted out cards and sometimes it goes smooth and other times I have basically been praying I don't damage the card as the holders sometimes crack in awful places during the process. It can be an absolute nightmare.

• NugunNugun Posts: 2

@tigerdean said:
    Ridiculous, IMHO when they will grade a card for less than $25. Shouldn't be more than $10!

Agreed! I dropped a small box of PSA cards on my tile floor and cracked/chipped 18 holders. I already paid once for grading and don't really feel like paying a "grading" fee again. The reholder should be $5-10.

How about a National special for reholdering!!!!

• PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I believe the fee jumped from $10 to $25 around the time when PSA got swamped with submissions. They probably felt they needed all their staff focused on the grading process. I contacted a PSA employee I know and inquired about the $25 reholder fee. The response was 1) PSA becomes responsible for removing the card from the original holder and there is liability there. 2) a PSA employee needs to verify the card was originally in an untampered PSA holder first. 3) These first two steps probably take longer than the time it takes for a grader to grade the card if that was the case. 4) a new label needs to be printed and in some cases it has to have new information which then changes population counts. For example, i just got back a 1950 PSA 9 Bowman card which had no copyright on the back (PSA didn’t list this variable when it was originally graded). The new label now has “without copyright” on it and the population data reflects the changes. 5) finally the mechanics of the encapsulation takes place. The fact is that the process of reholdering actually takes longer than having a card graded and then encapsulated. I have had all of my most valuable cards reholdered because I believe the new holders are more secure and present much nicer with the new labels. However, I agree that it would be nice if the fee was reduced or at least have a monthly special every so often.

• HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 309 ✭✭✭

Clip all 4 corners with the splicing part on needle nose pliers then with a small flat head pry it open at where the flip is. Takes all of 30 seconds

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

@PSARich said:
    I believe the fee jumped from $10 to $25 around the time when PSA got swamped with submissions. They probably felt they needed all their staff focused on the grading process. I contacted a PSA employee I know and inquired about the $25 reholder fee. The response was 1) PSA becomes responsible for removing the card from the original holder and there is liability there. 2) a PSA employee needs to verify the card was originally in an untampered PSA holder first. 3) These first two steps probably take longer than the time it takes for a grader to grade the card if that was the case. 4) a new label needs to be printed and in some cases it has to have new information which then changes population counts. For example, i just got back a 1950 PSA 9 Bowman card which had no copyright on the back (PSA didn’t list this variable when it was originally graded). The new label now has “without copyright” on it and the population data reflects the changes. 5) finally the mechanics of the encapsulation takes place. The fact is that the process of reholdering actually takes longer than having a card graded and then encapsulated. I have had all of my most valuable cards reholdered because I believe the new holders are more secure and present much nicer with the new labels. However, I agree that it would be nice if the fee was reduced or at least have a monthly special every so often.

So is crossover more expensive than re-holder, since it would actually take longer?
    1) grader has to evaluate and grade the card in the holder and compare to the sender request of min grade.
    2) if it meets requirements, card is then cracked out, then placed in penny sleeves/card savers or whatever they do, then take it back to grading dept, where it is graded again this time in raw form.
    3) is this when they take a pre-grading scan for the customer to show they haven't damaged the card?
    4) card then moves to grading, checking for new variations and the 'normal' grading process begins

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The reholder fee is a pure money grab for PSA. This is 10-12 fee for most cards. I understand the higher fee for the premium cards.

• MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I have a bunch of cards I would like to get re-holdered, but I'm not touching that $25 price. It seems ridiculous for the service you're getting unless the card has really significant value. For lower end cards, not a chance.