Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's going to PNNA Seattle next weekend?

OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year again. The big regional Pacific Northwest show is coming back to Tukwila April 14-16. Who's going? I may be there on multiple days.

I assume @2windy2fish will be set up there. Any other dealers on here setting up?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Comments

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Yes I will be there with lots of new Morgan’s to show.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lakesammman and friend will be set up....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, i’ll be there, looking forward to it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like there will be good forum attendance..... So lets have lots of show reports. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there Sunday
    Looking forward to it
    The Thriller in Tukwila

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Also bringing an exhibit.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan to be there on Friday, looking for those elusive half dimes as usual.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

It’s a great show, come by my table and say hi.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The website says early bird is $30…. It is now $50 FYI in case that impacts any casual collector decisions on whether or not to go early.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there at noon Saturday.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Got pleasantly surprised today when a forum, who I haven't seen in 13 years, and hasn't been on the forums for a long time, came up to the booth and stared for a bit, then called me by name (at which point, I immediately recognized him as well). He's a cool dude so we chatted for a bit and he bought a few coins.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fishpro ….what table number?
    Seems like @2windy2fish and @Fishpro should know each other!
    I am on the right hand side wall…about half way down..

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there tomorrow.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would but it is Turkey season. I met Russ at that show just after I made the 68-D FS Jeff.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Not able to make it to there as not feeling well. Is there a gold rush going on ?

• Options
    edited April 16, 2023 6:11PM

I went on Friday afternoon for about 4 hours and had fun.

The first thing I got was this cool classic Whitman folder from @2windy2fish .
    I actually have one that I got about 20 years ago from Charles Woodruff.
    My old one is mostly filled with a low grade partial set - all the capped bust, most of the Seated minus the keys, and none of the bust. If I had it with me, I'd share a photo, as it's fun to look at.

At the show I managed to find 6 seated half dimes for my variety collection (I enjoy die cracks the most).
    Here are the 3 best:

1850-O V-1a. A cool crack at S3 and 2 at the toe. Reverse rim cuds, and looks like it needs an acetone bath soon.

1852 V-4. Nice cracks between the stars, at the date and toe. Many reverse cracks. Got this from B.U.S.T. Coins, who had a great selection of half dimes, and was so nice to let me look at every one.

1868-s V-1b. Several heavy reverse cracks; similar to other SF half dimes.

I even "strayed" slightly and got this 1866 3CN. I have studied this date a bit, as most of the reverses have multiple heavy cracks. This is the most common die pair, with the chipped area on top of the left pillar. There is even a later die state where the chips extend down the left side of the pillar.

• Options

Nice!
    Mark Emtman is "B.U.S.T. Coins".
    Most of his stuff is raw, though he has some slabbed stuff these days. He didn't used to have more than a couple slabbed items.

And his stuff is NOT "raw for a reason", other than he just doesn't send it in. I've purchased from him, and sent a few things to PCGS when I needed fillers. All came back as he had graded, no body bags, and 1 that PCGS agreed with him on came back as a GOLD CAC when I sent it to them. So, raw from Mark, same grade from PCGS, GOLD from CAC.

I sold a lot there this weekend at our table but hadn't walked around much nor bought anything. Today had thinned out so I made a point to go see Mark, who was only a couple tables down from us, and made a small purchase myself. Raw 1953 w/arrows&rays quarter in EF45. Crusty original.
    He's one of the few dealers I would buy a raw coin from worth anything more than $50-$100

• Options
    edited April 17, 2023 3:20AM

Almost all my half dimes are raw, as I collect in circulated grades and most are low value relative to the cost of slabbing.
    Plus they are easy to grade in this range, so I have no problems buying.
    So first I look for die cracks, then I grade it, then I look at the price. I don't really care what grade is written on the holder.
    However, agreeing on the grade is helpful for agreeing on the price!
    And I can appreciate that it's essential to be an accurate grader as a dealer, for buying, etc.
    It would also make volume sales go a lot faster if you can just read the grade on the holder and know it is accurate;
    you could skip looking at the coin in micro detail like I did. (But I was looking for micro details anyway).

One cool thing about his cardboard 2x2 holders is that the info is typed on them.
    I asked and he said he used an old typewriter.

While I was looking at all his half dimes, a nearby friend/dealer jokingly asked him "How much time do you think you have spent writing down price codes?" He does use a fairly long string of chars in felt pen for his price code. I am not planning to break the code based on 2 coins purchased. :smile:

• Options

Was cool to meet you, OmegaRaptor, and it was nice of you to show us your cool coin pickup in person.
    Yes, sadly it was near the end of the day when we were leaving but you made time to chat with us, so thank you.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

For the seated stuff...there wasn't a ton of it from most dealer, and many of them didn't have a great look, imo.
    Depending on what you look for, I do look to Mark (BUST Coin) for a lot of my type seated...and he does have multiples so sometimes you may not see something but he can pull it out and show you. Just have to know to ask. I've dealt with him (me as collector, him as dealer, for more than 10 years now...closer to 15+ I think) and have found him to be friendly enough and willing to listen to what you want and pull it out if he has it.
    The one thing I KNOW he doesn't like is when people say they only want slabbed stuff and stuff is "raw for a reason"....LOL

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2023 4:27AM

Awesome show and the part about getting to meet each other!
    This makes us all feel like,"kids in a candy shop".
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file