Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Do You Like Your Proof Coins?

1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and Shiney or toned by time?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Comments

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

Matte proofs are underrated, so are proofs with acid dipped dies rather than laser frosted dies.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Either way is fine for me, as long as it's original and it has a good look. I'm just a bit more on the untoned side, though.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prefer 19th century attractively toned, consistent with age. Otherwise agnostic. Don't have to be cam, but need contrast.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no interest in toning. A coin that shows itself to be a solid proof, fresh as the day it was struck when possible.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like them, Sam I am.

I've long stood on the principle of not collecting things "made for collectors." I'm having a hard time justifying my commemorative collection though.

I have no problem with proof coins or those who collect them...... It's just not for me.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not hairlined. As long as it doesn’t mute the mirrors and isn’t ugly, I like toned or cam/DCAM if white brilliant proof.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I do not like them, Sam I am.

I've long stood on the principle of not collecting things "made for collectors." I'm having a hard time justifying my commemorative collection though.

I have no problem with proof coins or those who collect them...... It's just not for me.

It's an interesting conversation. I totally understand the viewpoint of not buying "collectible" items, it makes one think of the Franklin Mint or teaspoons or whatever.

At the same time, how many very nice business strike coins came out of mint sets? How many business strike coins were specifically bought and carefully put away by collectors 100-200yrs ago?

There is no right answer, I have struggled with this same thing also. I love my old proofs and my commems...but my primary series outside of type is chopmarked trade dollars which are (arguably, depending on definition) the MOST circulated US series.

For posterity's sake, I like my proofs to be attractive, whether that is blast white or toned, I love them all.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toned proofs tend to look hazy, so unless they are unusually attractive toners, I tend to like proofs untoned

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    Matte proofs are underrated, so are proofs with acid dipped dies rather than laser frosted dies.

Yeah, just ugly

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my proofs fresh off the die, haze on the side please.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@BearlyHere said:

@olympicsos said:

Yeah, just ugly

The 1908-1916 matte proofs were stunning. If anything the artists of the original designs objected to mirror finishes as they felt it cheapened their designs. I get why you'd not like matte proofs with spaghetti hair coins though, but spaghetti hair coins are just ugly period.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do i like my proof coins?

Medium Rare...thanks

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 8:16PM

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a side of frosting!!

• Options
    zer0manzer0man Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

DCAM + toned a date appropriate amount.

DOG acolyte

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really a big fan of proofs, but I do have few Proof Barber half dollars that are nicely toned.

Sadly, most Proof Barbers have been dipped white over the years, and they show it. The stuff of nightmares...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer them in hand - not glam photos!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

These are what I've been trying to decide on. Not my pics. 1936 and 1937

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options

Definitely not like the day they came from the mint but the toning looks honest to me.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    This Cameo kind.

This toned kind.

And this kind (which is both Cameo and toned).

Agreed.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found it. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Blast White. Ricko approved. 🤠

Is there a sticker for this yet? I'd totally like some on my slabs. Ricko could sell these for extra income.

There you go 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I am not a fan of toning and do not collect toned coins in general, BUT -- A lot of them have great numismatic value to other collectors.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer mirrored fields and cameo devices on modern proofs, and as close to this as possible with older ones.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or something matte and deeply toned...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, all sorts of ways!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB... Thank you Tom... That is a beautiful Franklin Half Dollar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    These are what I've been trying to decide on. Not my pics. 1936 and 1937

Just in case you aren't aware and if it is a consideration, those are NOT original mint pouches the coins are in.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

As for my preference I prefer untoned but I also don't mind some toning. I really dislike haze which seems to get a huge pass at TPGs, in my opinion that's because it does an excellent job of hiding minor hairlines.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cameo, with soft, pleasant toning.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll take some color if I can get it. Although the most of the time they are overpriced

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

Frosty AND Deep Mirrors..... NO TONING.....

Member of the BLAST WHITE RickO fan club.....

TC71

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAM/DCAM or with dummy color.

Best if I can get both the CAM/DCAM and color :smiley:

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file