Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The coin world is hard to out smart. Tell us the stories on how you out did the best.

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2023 12:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

No one successful in the coin world is dumb.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 9:55PM

@Clackamas1 said:
    No one successful in the coin world is dumb. I took a POP 11/1 coin and turned it into a pop 1/1.

How did you do that? If it upgraded it would be a POP 2/0?

OK, must have been a grade gap between the POP 11/1 coins.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Clackamas1 said:
    No one successful in the coin world is dumb. I took a POP 11/1 coin and turned it into a pop 1/1.

11 ms65, 1 ms66, you make a 65+ Go from 11/1 to a 1/1

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, knowledge is the key. Also, a good memory and quick recall help with thinking on the fly so that you don't have to have access to a lot of reference material.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy low sell high.

Also,

"Knowledge is Good"- Emil Faber

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Buy low sell high.

Also,

"Knowledge is Good"- Emil Faber

A PLEDGE PIN?!?!??

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Clackamas1 said:

11 ms65, 1 ms66, you make a 65+ Go from 11/1 to a 1/1

No It was a POP 11/1 in ms66. I went through all the auction archives and found that there were only 2 coins and that coin was the one that finally got upgraded to an MS67. So I printed off all the evidence and mailed it to PCGS. They then corrected the POP to 1/1 mine stayed an MS66 the other coin is the MS67.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, what I'm about to say is not giving the coin doctors any leeway.
    When I found a Beautiful 2020W Quarter in roll hunting. It had a haze on its surface.
    So, I dipped it slightly in water downed "EZEST".
    I sent it in to PCGS and it came back a spectacular MS 67! Sold that exact coin for $750 @ a big coin show.
    Not saying that our host was fooled but just mentioning, It slide under the radar from the BEST!
    Thank You, PCGS.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

"Knowledge is power".
    Should be etched in stone if it isn't already.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Now, what I'm about to say is not giving the coin doctors any leeway.
    When I found a Beautiful 2020W Quarter in roll hunting. It had a haze on its surface.
    So, I dipped it slightly in water downed "EZEST".
    I sent it in to PCGS and it came back a spectacular MS 67! Sold that exact coin for $750 @ a big coin show.
    Not saying that our host was fooled but just mentioning, It slide under the radar from the BEST!
    Thank You, PCGS.
    :)

There's nothing wrong with a dip, though. All you did was conserve the coin. Next time use ammonia, it should accomplish the same thing for basic haze.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

No It was a POP 11/1 in ms66. I went through all the auction archives and found that there were only 2 coins and that coin was the one that finally got upgraded to an MS67. So I printed off all the evidence and mailed it to PCGS. They then corrected the POP to 1/1 mine stayed an MS66 the other coin is the MS67.

O.K. I understand. Just commenting as someone couldn't seem to understand how that was possible. Just throwing out a scenario where that was possible.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Carr -- great story thanks for sharing! I love those two coins!!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sharp enough to outsmart anyone in this hobby nor do I seek those opportunities. I do have a vivid memory of mistakes I’ve made and don’t wish to publicize my ignorance or stupidity

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding and selling W quarters has financed my silver coin habit since 2019...

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 5:10PM

It takes working your angle (say an area of specialty), patience, knowledge, and experience. The other piece is buying it right then marketing it in a venue where it has a good chance to sell with positive margin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 6:42PM

@dcarr , nice story, thanks for posting it. I enjoy reading it very much.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shane6596 said:

Priceless!
    That’s exactly how some people look at me!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 10:07PM

This is just a story that I'd like to share and it has nothing to do with out-smarting anyone.

Back in around 2015; I saw (on a website) a 1942 S Walker graded MS 65 in a PCGS rattler with a CAC sticker. This was like a $275 to $350 coin, at the time, but the dealer wanted $525 for it. I really liked the strike, fields and luster of the piece. It was late at night and I, probably, could have called the next day and gotten it for at least $50 off, so probably for about $475. I just really liked the coin and I was afraid of losing it, so I just paid the money. Well, for years, I felt like I overpaid and that the dealer kind of took advantage of me. I try to be a smart buyer, when I can, because it only makes good business sense...ya know? But, it wasn't a large amount of money, in the grand scheme of things, so I just didn't let it bother me. I really thought the coin was unique and I had never seen a gem in a rattler and with a CAC sticker, before, so I just held on to it and enjoyed it.

Well, I just found out, today, that one ('42-S, CAC, rattler & gem) sold recently on GC for over $1750!

Wow! I feel Vindicated! LOL

Note: CAC stickers are super hot, right now, and especially ones on old green holders and/or rattlers!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1969 S may have passed thru many hands (?)
    D end.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    This is just a story that I'd like to share and it has nothing to do with out-smarting anyone.

Back in around 2015; I saw (on a website) a 1942 S Walker graded MS 65 in a PCGS rattler with a CAC sticker. This was like a $275 to $350 coin, at the time, but the dealer wanted $525 for it. I really liked the strike, fields and luster of the piece. It was late at night and I, probably, could have called the next day and gotten it for at least $50 off, so probably for about $475. I just really liked the coin and I was afraid of losing it, so I just paid the money. Well, for years, I felt like I overpaid and that the dealer kind of took advantage of me. I try to be a smart buyer, when I can, because it only makes good business sense...ya know? But, it wasn't a large amount of money, in the grand scheme of things, so I just didn't let it bother me. I really thought the coin was unique and I had never seen a gem in a rattler and with a CAC sticker, before, so I just held on to it and enjoyed it.

Well, I just found out, today, that one ('42-S, CAC, rattler & gem) sold recently on GC for over $1750!

Wow! I feel Vindicated! LOL

Note: CAC stickers are super hot, right now, and especially ones on old green holders and/or rattlers!!

If they have a good strike, as well as having good eye appeal, I believe the ''40's S mints are good buys today, and well worth stepping up for.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    This 1969 S may have passed thru many hands (?)
    D end.

That's not the 1969-S DDO that's the rare valuable one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@ PerryHall
    Shhh !
    I know !
    I'm working here !

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    @ PerryHall
    Shhh !
    I know !
    I'm working here !

You won't get very far here. You'll have better luck on eBay. :D

• Options

Yo, relax.
    It's a joke, bubba.
    I would never try to get over on someone.
    ebay...whats that ?
    This is an interesting thread.
    Carry on.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    Yo, relax.
    It's a joke, bubba.
    I would never try to get over on someone.
    ebay...whats that ?
    This is an interesting thread.
    Carry on.

I know you were joking and so was I. LOL.
    Unfortunately, the 1969-S cent frequently comes with machine doubling which fools a lot of collectors who think they found the valuable DDO variety. There was a fellow member at my coin club back in the 1980's who found a 1969-S with machine doubling while coin roll hunting and he kept insisting that it was the rare DDO variety. I gave up trying to convince him otherwise and let him live in his dream world.

• Options

Well, you out smarted me.
    Now get back to work !
    Cool !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of coins, I do not think I have outsmarted anyone... at least not in the short term. I have purchased coins years ago that I believed would increase in value. And they have... in some instances 600-700%. That is just some market insight and also good luck. Also, willing to hold the goods for extended periods. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr Great find, gamble & story.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never outsmarted anyone, or even tried. Not even sure how I ended behind a counter. Got outsmarted, I guess.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Never outsmarted anyone, or even tried. Not even sure how I ended behind a counter. Got outsmarted, I guess.

Me thinks thou are being humble. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

why outsmart people? all i do is let their "i think i know it all" catch up with them and wait as they leave a opportunity open then i'll just step in and take it

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've out smarted anyone. Just in the right place at the right time with cash. Just fortunate all around. Blessed with a wife that puts up with my crazy obsessions.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it makes me any smarter, but the biggest surprise was when I won my 1873-S Seated Half. On Dec. 31st 2006 I won lot 23577 for $184.00, including fees at Heritage. If you ;look it up you will see an ANACS 40 1873 Seated Half listed. If you check the reverse you will find a tiny S nestled under the eagle. I am still amazed no one else noticed it. James

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file