Home U.S. Coin Forum

The coin world is hard to out smart. Tell us the stories on how you out did the best.

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2023 12:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

No one successful in the coin world is dumb.

Comments

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 9:55PM

@Clackamas1 said:
    No one successful in the coin world is dumb. I took a POP 11/1 coin and turned it into a pop 1/1.

How did you do that? If it upgraded it would be a POP 2/0?

OK, must have been a grade gap between the POP 11/1 coins.

GrandAm :)
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Clackamas1 said:
    No one successful in the coin world is dumb. I took a POP 11/1 coin and turned it into a pop 1/1.

11 ms65, 1 ms66, you make a 65+ Go from 11/1 to a 1/1

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, knowledge is the key. Also, a good memory and quick recall help with thinking on the fly so that you don't have to have access to a lot of reference material.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy low sell high.

Also,

"Knowledge is Good"- Emil Faber

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Buy low sell high.

Also,

"Knowledge is Good"- Emil Faber

A PLEDGE PIN?!?!??

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Clackamas1 said:

11 ms65, 1 ms66, you make a 65+ Go from 11/1 to a 1/1

No It was a POP 11/1 in ms66. I went through all the auction archives and found that there were only 2 coins and that coin was the one that finally got upgraded to an MS67. So I printed off all the evidence and mailed it to PCGS. They then corrected the POP to 1/1 mine stayed an MS66 the other coin is the MS67.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, what I'm about to say is not giving the coin doctors any leeway.
    When I found a Beautiful 2020W Quarter in roll hunting. It had a haze on its surface.
    So, I dipped it slightly in water downed "EZEST".
    I sent it in to PCGS and it came back a spectacular MS 67! Sold that exact coin for $750 @ a big coin show.
    Not saying that our host was fooled but just mentioning, It slide under the radar from the BEST!
    Thank You, PCGS.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

"Knowledge is power".
    Should be etched in stone if it isn't already.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Now, what I'm about to say is not giving the coin doctors any leeway.
    When I found a Beautiful 2020W Quarter in roll hunting. It had a haze on its surface.
    So, I dipped it slightly in water downed "EZEST".
    I sent it in to PCGS and it came back a spectacular MS 67! Sold that exact coin for $750 @ a big coin show.
    Not saying that our host was fooled but just mentioning, It slide under the radar from the BEST!
    Thank You, PCGS.
    :)

There's nothing wrong with a dip, though. All you did was conserve the coin. Next time use ammonia, it should accomplish the same thing for basic haze.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

No It was a POP 11/1 in ms66. I went through all the auction archives and found that there were only 2 coins and that coin was the one that finally got upgraded to an MS67. So I printed off all the evidence and mailed it to PCGS. They then corrected the POP to 1/1 mine stayed an MS66 the other coin is the MS67.

O.K. I understand. Just commenting as someone couldn't seem to understand how that was possible. Just throwing out a scenario where that was possible.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Carr -- great story thanks for sharing! I love those two coins!!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sharp enough to outsmart anyone in this hobby nor do I seek those opportunities. I do have a vivid memory of mistakes I’ve made and don’t wish to publicize my ignorance or stupidity

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding and selling W quarters has financed my silver coin habit since 2019...

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 5:10PM

It takes working your angle (say an area of specialty), patience, knowledge, and experience. The other piece is buying it right then marketing it in a venue where it has a good chance to sell with positive margin.

Coins & Currency
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 6:42PM

@dcarr , nice story, thanks for posting it. I enjoy reading it very much.

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shane6596 said:

Priceless!
    That’s exactly how some people look at me!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 10:07PM

This is just a story that I'd like to share and it has nothing to do with out-smarting anyone.

Back in around 2015; I saw (on a website) a 1942 S Walker graded MS 65 in a PCGS rattler with a CAC sticker. This was like a $275 to $350 coin, at the time, but the dealer wanted $525 for it. I really liked the strike, fields and luster of the piece. It was late at night and I, probably, could have called the next day and gotten it for at least $50 off, so probably for about $475. I just really liked the coin and I was afraid of losing it, so I just paid the money. Well, for years, I felt like I overpaid and that the dealer kind of took advantage of me. I try to be a smart buyer, when I can, because it only makes good business sense...ya know? But, it wasn't a large amount of money, in the grand scheme of things, so I just didn't let it bother me. I really thought the coin was unique and I had never seen a gem in a rattler and with a CAC sticker, before, so I just held on to it and enjoyed it.

Well, I just found out, today, that one ('42-S, CAC, rattler & gem) sold recently on GC for over $1750!

Wow! I feel Vindicated! LOL

Note: CAC stickers are super hot, right now, and especially ones on old green holders and/or rattlers!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1969 S may have passed thru many hands (?)
    D end.

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    This is just a story that I'd like to share and it has nothing to do with out-smarting anyone.

Back in around 2015; I saw (on a website) a 1942 S Walker graded MS 65 in a PCGS rattler with a CAC sticker. This was like a $275 to $350 coin, at the time, but the dealer wanted $525 for it. I really liked the strike, fields and luster of the piece. It was late at night and I, probably, could have called the next day and gotten it for at least $50 off, so probably for about $475. I just really liked the coin and I was afraid of losing it, so I just paid the money. Well, for years, I felt like I overpaid and that the dealer kind of took advantage of me. I try to be a smart buyer, when I can, because it only makes good business sense...ya know? But, it wasn't a large amount of money, in the grand scheme of things, so I just didn't let it bother me. I really thought the coin was unique and I had never seen a gem in a rattler and with a CAC sticker, before, so I just held on to it and enjoyed it.

Well, I just found out, today, that one ('42-S, CAC, rattler & gem) sold recently on GC for over $1750!

Wow! I feel Vindicated! LOL

Note: CAC stickers are super hot, right now, and especially ones on old green holders and/or rattlers!!

If they have a good strike, as well as having good eye appeal, I believe the ''40's S mints are good buys today, and well worth stepping up for.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    This 1969 S may have passed thru many hands (?)
    D end.

That's not the 1969-S DDO that's the rare valuable one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@ PerryHall
    Shhh !
    I know !
    I'm working here !

@emeraldATV said:
    @ PerryHall
    Shhh !
    I know !
    I'm working here !

You won't get very far here. You'll have better luck on eBay. :D

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Yo, relax.
    It's a joke, bubba.
    I would never try to get over on someone.
    ebay...whats that ?
    This is an interesting thread.
    Carry on.

@emeraldATV said:
    Yo, relax.
    It's a joke, bubba.
    I would never try to get over on someone.
    ebay...whats that ?
    This is an interesting thread.
    Carry on.

I know you were joking and so was I. LOL.
    Unfortunately, the 1969-S cent frequently comes with machine doubling which fools a lot of collectors who think they found the valuable DDO variety. There was a fellow member at my coin club back in the 1980's who found a 1969-S with machine doubling while coin roll hunting and he kept insisting that it was the rare DDO variety. I gave up trying to convince him otherwise and let him live in his dream world.

Well, you out smarted me.
    Now get back to work !
    Cool !

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of coins, I do not think I have outsmarted anyone... at least not in the short term. I have purchased coins years ago that I believed would increase in value. And they have... in some instances 600-700%. That is just some market insight and also good luck. Also, willing to hold the goods for extended periods. Cheers, RickO

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr Great find, gamble & story.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never outsmarted anyone, or even tried. Not even sure how I ended behind a counter. Got outsmarted, I guess.

HE>I

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Never outsmarted anyone, or even tried. Not even sure how I ended behind a counter. Got outsmarted, I guess.

Me thinks thou are being humble. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

why outsmart people? all i do is let their "i think i know it all" catch up with them and wait as they leave a opportunity open then i'll just step in and take it

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I've out smarted anyone. Just in the right place at the right time with cash. Just fortunate all around. Blessed with a wife that puts up with my crazy obsessions.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it makes me any smarter, but the biggest surprise was when I won my 1873-S Seated Half. On Dec. 31st 2006 I won lot 23577 for $184.00, including fees at Heritage. If you ;look it up you will see an ANACS 40 1873 Seated Half listed. If you check the reverse you will find a tiny S nestled under the eagle. I am still amazed no one else noticed it. James

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file