Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

@davebe is a scammer

Looks like I just got scammed by @davebe ! I was looking for the book: Numismatic Photography, 2nd Edition by Mark Goodman, and he told me that he had a copy. So, being a trusting guy (I know, I'm an idiot!), I paid via PayPal to: esthernyambura368@yahoo.com. This was over a month ago, and no book.

Dispute reported to PayPal - we'll see what comes of this.

@davebe is a scammer. Also, anyone with the email esthernyambura368@yahoo.com should be included.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2023 5:14AM

Always search the username of someone who you want to buy from - this username was already a reported scammer here as early as September 2022.

I’m guessing he sent you a PM asking you to send an email to yet another person. This scam has been running for years now.

I’m sorry you lost money.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you paid with PayPal, you should be protected assuming it wasn't Pay Pal Friends and Family in which case you're out of luck.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:
    It is that much now? I will look and see if I have a spare.

@dsessom said:

@Crusty said:
    These guys with no or low post counts are ones that you need to be careful with. Moving forward you should ask them to ship first. Especially if they don’t have references. Hopefully the book was not expensive.

It's a pricey book. Around $200 new, and $150-ish used. Like @PerryHall said, if you used Paypal Friend and Family, you will have no recourse. That option should only be used with individuals that you trust.

I did a Google search to find a few copies from different sellers. It's not a cheap book.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula
    I have this book but not sure at the moment which edition. If it is the second edition, and if you are interested then I will let you know if you haven't found one yet.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

pm sent

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

@Crusty said:
    These guys with no or low post counts are ones that you need to be careful with. Moving forward you should ask them to ship first. Especially if they don’t have references. Hopefully the book was not expensive.

It's a pricey book. Around $200 new, and $150-ish used. Like @PerryHall said, if you used Paypal Friend and Family, you will have no recourse. That option should only be used with individuals that you trust.

Yup, my bad for being trusting. Stupidly sent via F&F.

I'm out $50.00 + $2.50 PayPal fee. Lessons learned, right?

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

@dsessom said:

@Crusty said:

Yup, my bad for being trusting. Stupidly sent via F&F.

I'm out $50.00 + $2.50 PayPal fee. Lessons learned, right?

I've never been a fee sending f&f. You may want to check and confirm how you sent funds if you were charged a fee.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:

I've never been a fee sending f&f. You may want to check and confirm how you sent funds if you were charged a fee.

Agreed! If you paid a fee, you utilized the regular Paypal payment method, AND that means they will reimburse your funds.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

@gtstang said:

Agreed! If you paid a fee, you utilized the regular Paypal payment method, AND that means they will reimburse your funds.

I think if you pay F&F but used a credit card instead of bank transfer that will incur a fee.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@dsessom said:

@gtstang said:

I think if you pay F&F but used a credit card instead of bank transfer that will incur a fee.

correct - in which case, dispute with cc

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

$150 ???? That's increased more in value than most of my collection. Glad I bought mine when it first came out.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    It's too bad @PCGS_Moderator didn't ban this account the first time it was reported.

All the bad guy has to do is create a new account and start over. But still, will take him some time.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    It's too bad @PCGS_Moderator didn't ban this account the first time it was reported.

It's too bad that the site even ALLOWS PayPal Friends and Family.
    No recourse.
    Usually cheaper than auction fees.

I trade with NO ONE on ANY FORUM who wants to be paid with PP F&F.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also got a message from him. Don't fall for this scam!

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 6:40PM

I had a feeling this davebe was bad news. Tried to get me on a Matron Cent. He sent me a lead on an email account. The email was a Mikeycash007@outlook.com. When I told the guy he would only get a money order from me and I needed his address the deal was a no go. Spidey sense was tingling.

• Options

I just received the book from @fastfreddie ! Thank you so much!!! I promise to put it to good use!

Now, who do I report to in order to get scammer @davebe banned??? Is it @PCGS_Moderator? Someone other Admin? And, how does the forum prevent that user (ip address?) to post here again?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless a BST seller is a long time and active poster here with a high post count, require that the coin be shipped first on approval before payment is sent. Otherwise, no deal. Most of you guys already know this and it's common sense but some here may need a reminder.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Big Kahuna says this is the Wild West. Police yourselves. Threads like this are essentially doing that. My new rule is I won't be doing business with anyone who is not a known regular on the US Coin Forum. Simple.

• Options

@PCGS_Moderator said:
    Just to be clear.
    WE DO NOT ENCOURAGE ANY KIND OF PAYMENT as associated with paying for an item IF YOU CHOOSE to do so.

Just to be clear AGAIN
    WE ARE NOT A MARKETPLACE

If you want to be more safe and secure than your own assessment of an offer, GO THROUGH A MARKETPLACE

Our forum guidelines are clear:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

"The first thing we would like to point out is that this is a forum for collectors, and the biggest reason we exist is for collectors to come together and share information by asking and answering questions of folks with similar interests and hobbies. We did not set out to be a marketplace, eBay, or Etsy. We do, however, offer a Buy, Sell, and Trade thread for folks to connect and Buy, Sell, and Trade as they see fit."

Please do not come at PCGS for allowing folks to discuss buying, selling, and trading.

@PCGS_Moderator does this response mean there is no way to get a known scammer banned? Just wondering - I haven't been around long enough to know the answer.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Faceless and nameless. Not the sort I can deal with. Thankfully PayPal ( hopefully not friends and family ) will make you whole.

• Options
    PCGS_ModeratorPCGS_Moderator Posts: 220 mod
    edited April 5, 2023 7:54AM

@Eric_Babula said:

@PCGS_Moderator said:
    Just to be clear.
    WE DO NOT ENCOURAGE ANY KIND OF PAYMENT as associated with paying for an item IF YOU CHOOSE to do so.

Just to be clear AGAIN
    WE ARE NOT A MARKETPLACE

If you want to be more safe and secure than your own assessment of an offer, GO THROUGH A MARKETPLACE

Our forum guidelines are clear:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

"The first thing we would like to point out is that this is a forum for collectors, and the biggest reason we exist is for collectors to come together and share information by asking and answering questions of folks with similar interests and hobbies. We did not set out to be a marketplace, eBay, or Etsy. We do, however, offer a Buy, Sell, and Trade thread for folks to connect and Buy, Sell, and Trade as they see fit."

Please do not come at PCGS for allowing folks to discuss buying, selling, and trading.

@PCGS_Moderator does this response mean there is no way to get a known scammer banned? Just wondering - I haven't been around long enough to know the answer.

@Eric_Babula a user can be banned if they violate the forum rules and regulations.

If you feel you someone breaks a rule, please report the instance and explain which rule you feel is being broken and we will investigate.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ask the alleged scammer for his address so you can send payment. That shuts down the deal. PAYPAL FF and VENMO are friends/family or for transactions at the point of sale.
    Never forget that.
    There have been scammers on this site and other sites and you need to be cautious.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping this was just a misunderstanding and that the person called out would own up and fix this.

I support the ban for unethical business practices.

• Options

@johnny010 said:
    I was hoping this was just a misunderstanding and that the person called out would own up and fix this.

I support the ban for unethical business practices.

Nope. The person called out is a scammer. This isn't the first scammer thread about this user.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Unless a BST seller is a long time and active poster here with a high post count, require that the coin be shipped first on approval before payment is sent. Otherwise, no deal. Most of you guys already know this and it's common sense but some here may need a reminder.

This....

In the end it has worked out for you and I am glad I could help!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

WARNING DAVEBE IS BACK ON THE FORUM

• Options
    CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

I received a reply from him yesterday. I returned a message to him. After I did I remember seeing this post from prior reports on him. I copied the message stating that him was a scammer and sent it to him in another reply message. I have not heard back from him. Thanks for letting us know about him.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2023 9:42AM

I just asked him to send a photo of his items next to a sign that said "I AM NOT A SCAMMER" :smile:

He was too lazy this time, expect a new name in next week or so

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

Too bad the moderators won’t ban him.

• Options

Please keep in mind:

"Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity."

We've said time and time again, if you feel you someone breaks a rule, please report the instance and explain which rule you feel is being broken and we will investigate.

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 85 ✭✭

Too bad you got scammed by this crud. Thanks for notifying us!

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭

"davebe" is BACK!!!!!!! Watch your wallets. Just tried the scam on me. Told him to get the item and send it to me for inspection before I can send payment.

• Options
    UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 85 ✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:
    Always search the username of someone who you want to buy from - this username was already a reported scammer here as early as September 2022.

I’m guessing he sent you a PM asking you to send an email to yet another person. This scam has been running for years now.

I’m sorry you lost money.

Can you tell me how you can search for usernames? Thanks.

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

He’s back again! Just got a message that he had what I was looking for regarding my post on the BST forum. Seems like this guy pops up every few months to annoy us. Be careful out there!

• Options
    M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I just received a message from him this morning telling me that he has a coin I'm looking for. I saw the 2-post count and got nervous. I asked him to email me pics a moment ago. I'm so thankful that I saw this post.

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:
    I just received a message from him this morning telling me that he has a coin I'm looking for. I saw the 2-post count and got nervous. I asked him to email me pics a moment ago. I'm so thankful that I saw this post.

That’s great to hear. Please don’t do business with this guy. He is bad news.

• Options

@M4Madness said:

Is he still using the same username?

• Options
    M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@UncleDano said:

@M4Madness said:

Is he still using the same username?

Yes