Home U.S. Coin Forum

She's here! 18th Century Gold Newp

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2023 5:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well folks, looks like I may need to rework my bucket list, since this coin was at the top of the list for about as long as I can remember. The stars finally aligned, and I was able to acquire this crusty old gal for my type set. For those active in the early gold realm, you already know that it is not easy to find an original early eagle that hasn't been ruined, let alone at a reasonable price. The coin does exhibit some signs of weakness in the rim and slightly on the reverse, but in my opinion it does not detract much from the overall appearance, and its other attributes help to make up for its shortcomings.

Last year, I made a decision that I would work with Doug Winter to help find a nice example for my collection, and he pointed this coin out to me after I had emailed him about a different coin in a Stacks auction. Most of the time, Im confident in my abilities to pick nice coins with the tools I have at hand, but when we're talking about expensive early gold, I like to lean on the expertise of those with more experience than I. In addition to that, I had also reached out to our own @mfeld for his opinion. When he said that he "loves this coin", I knew that I had no choice but to buy it, lol.

This coin actually sold a few times in the past decade, surprisingly. Once in 2014 on GC, once in 2020 on GC, and then in the Buddy Liles collection on heritage last week. I feel very fortunate that the coin actually hammered for less than it did in 2020, and I slightly overestimated what it was going to take to win. I will include a few sets of images, but I would say that the most recent images from Heritage are the most accurate representation of the in-hand appearance. First, I will include my instagram post that with a video that will show in this post, but for some reason the video quality doesn't look as good as it does in the reel (with music) that is linked below it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqbalA_vRQp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link (Music and better quality Video)

Here are the most recent images from HA

Here are Doug Winter’s (Jenna’s) images

Here are the most recent GC shots

Lastly, here is an unflattering TV that looks like it was from the early TV days. I may have the coin reholdered at CSNS to see how the new one would look.

I thought it would be insightful to include all the different photos, taken in different settings ,with different equipment. It just goes to show that there is nothing better than a good ol' fashioned in-hand evaluation. The coin looks exquisite in hand, yet none of the images are really able to capture the nuances of it's overall appearance; Hence my rationale for including videos whenever possible. Anyways, Im over the moon with this purchase, and the icing on top that the date starts with 17. However, at the same time, I'm somewhat mournful that this hunt has finally come to an end. Enjoy!

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the great coin!!!

Tonedeaf is a nickname given to me in reference to my guitar playing ability.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Congrats! :)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Congrats and thanks for the video and the pics. It's fascinating how a coin will appear in the hands of different photographers.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Congratulations!

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin- congratulations!

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

OUTSTANDING !!!! congratulations on a spectacular acquisition !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a lovely coin.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really a FINE coin. Big congrats!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic addition to the collection. You enlisted the right people to help and that makes a big difference. That's definitely a piece of history to cherish for a long time.

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin from the 1700’s is truly appealing. You made an excellent choice going with Doug Winter in your quest. Well done!

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful! I loved the coin when you showed it to me over PM, and I think it’s simply perfect for your collection.

Coin Photographer.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so sweet!!

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

SAAAAAWEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!

Tom

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

Trade $'s
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely fantastic, well worth the wait, congrats!

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations! She's awesome!

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats to you. Quite a nice looking early Eagle!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Do you have a PCGS Registry Set that this coin is in?

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Eagle. And with gold at 2K an ounce a nice store of value! Seriously beautiful.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phenomenal coin!! Definitely a good find and a center of a collection! Would be a neat coin to handle raw.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin! Well done!!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

Not as of yet. I basically use instagram as my registry, I only have about 10 coins in my collection. Theres no sets that Im close to completing that include early gold, and I'm a long ways away from being able to fill out the full gold type set. I wish PCGS offered some different variations of gold type sets, but I'm hoping that the CAC registry has some different options available when it's up and running.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply Marvelous!

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's beautiful!

Mark

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan

I believe the NGC registry offers the ability to make your own custom set of whatever coins you wish - but I haven’t tried it myself and I don’t know if they stopped doing it a while back. It may be worth checking out!

Coin Photographer.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great feeling that must be! Congrats on a coin of a lifetime!

Many happy BST transactions
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on an amazing coin!!!

• BoloBolo Posts: 111 ✭✭✭✭

Thats such a nice example...congrats!

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan I think you deserve the "You Suck" Award, good sir. That single coin is more valuable than my entire collection! LOL

Seriously though, heartfelt congratulations on obtaining that rare beauty! And thanks for sharing it here. That is just a incredible, wonderful coin!

Dwayne Sessom
  • dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Cool coin!

@dsessom said:
    @DeplorableDan I think you deserve the "You Suck" Award, good sir. That single coin is more valuable than my entire collection! LOL

Seriously though, heartfelt congratulations on obtaining that rare beauty! And thanks for sharing it here. That is just a incredible, wonderful coin!

I think that the "you suck" award is for cherrypicks. Maybe I'm wrong.

Young Numismatist

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely original 18th century gold. Congrats on the pickup.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extraordinary addition to your box of 20. Congrats!

I've always admired that gold coin and the year starting with 17xx. (224 years old) Just awesome!

Nothing like the thrill of the hunt but hopefully the thrill of ownership lasts a very long time!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• maymay Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think anything can top that.
    Awesome!!! :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Triple "D" - Deplorable Dan Daaaaaaaaaaaamn ..................that coin is fantastic!!!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan That is an awesome gold piece for sure!!! It would be a centerpiece in most collections. I have the same year as yours for my U.S. Type set and it is one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

Congratulations on a great pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! Congrats!!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin congrats!!!

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

You, sir, are a steely-eyed missile man!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!
    That type is the top of my bucket list too.
    So happy for you.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    @DeplorableDan said:

@golden said:

Not as of yet. I basically use instagram as my registry, I only have about 10 coins in my collection. Theres no sets that Im close to completing that include early gold, and I'm a long ways away from being able to fill out the full gold type set. I wish PCGS offered some different variations of gold type sets, but I'm hoping that the CAC registry has some different options available when it's up and running.

A set or collection isn’t any less wonderful just because it doesn’t fit into an existing “Registry Set”.

Don't let PCGS read that!

;)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! Early gold is awesome.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is impressive. You have a good eye.

Keep us posted on more like acquisitions.

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Dan! A lovely original coin!

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing coin Dan! <3<3<3

Damn! She is HOT!! Not even close to Deplorable!! ;):D

Congratulations!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phenomenal.

peacockcoins

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Something like that is on my list of dream coins that probably will never come true.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file