Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Out of 50,000 1971-S Proof Silver Ikes graded, only eight have received the + designation.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of more importance, do you think this Ike will be prettier in hand than the photo shown, or about even?
(This is one of those coins I wish the submitter had taken the effort of ordering a Trueview!)

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it will look better in hand. Is your plus count from only PCGS?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

Yes. Only PCGS.
    I have no idea what NGC has done, although I'd imagine it is many, many more.
    And my title is off. PCGS has graded 50,000 silver-proof Ikes in all years.
    Out of all of those eight are plus grades.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful Ike. 50+ year old silver coins can take on some nice color. Should have gotten on the Ike train 5 years ago.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR68+ CAM is really not a fantastic grade for a proof Ike. That said, this one is appealing on the basis of color, not grade. I would hope that it looks great in hand, wobbling it in the light.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    Keep in mind that this is really not that impressive or surprising, as PR69’s are ineligible for a plus grades!!!!

Steve

I didn't know that!
    :o

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes. Only PCGS.

I see more than 8 68+ in the pop report. That aside, why is 68+ better than 69?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice Ike dollar... if only it were not tarnished ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Wonderful coin!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other side of the "coin: out of 4.265234 million minted, only 50,000 have been graded - what's out there in the other 4.215234 million?????

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 4:11PM

Not worth the re-submission cost for a gamble for a plus. There are still some raw ones in brown boxes, but most that would be certified have long since been certified (well before plus grading). Why send any in now when a PR69DCAM is about a $25-$40 coin?

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Great Ike. I'd take it over a 69 (or even 70) DCAM any day. I especially love the light cameo on the reverse. It's just attractive to me for some reason.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 5:32PM

@braddick said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes. Only PCGS.

Your title looks good to me. From the PCGS pop reports, it seems PCGS has graded 48,777 1971-S silver proof Ikes

And out of that roughly 50k, 42,944 coins graded 69 and 70, or 88%.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t checked the numbers but even leaving aside modern proofs which are almost all 69 or 70 I rarely see proofs graded with a plus.

Alright I just checked a few:

Walkers: 670 / 26931
    Franklins: 588 / 128320
    Lincolns are similarly rare.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF (and I would never do it) I changed my minimum bulk grade on my hand picked submission groups of 1971-S Proof Ikes from PR69DCAM to PR68+DCAM (or CAM as shown in this thread), my best guess is I would produce (slab) the better part of 5,000 PR68+ Ikes annually.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2023 8:33AM

@wondercoin said:
    IF (and I would never do it) I changed my minimum bulk grade on my hand picked submission groups of 1971-S Proof Ikes from PR69DCAM to PR68+DCAM (or CAM as shown in this thread), my best guess is I would produce (slab) the better part of 5,000 PR68+ Ikes annually.

Wondercoin

Seems like the vast majority of coins go 69 so it's a good decision to not do that.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of coins do Not go 69. The vast majority of pre-screened coins go 69. More than half the coins in govt. lenses I get in never see PCGS. They are not the proper quality and PCGS charges a fee for every coin submitted in bulk that fails to meet the Min. Grade. Those lesser quality govt. lenses get wholesaled off to dealers who have many places to go with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    The vast majority of coins do Not go 69. The vast majority of pre-screened coins go 69. More than half the coins in govt. lenses I get in never see PCGS. They are not the proper quality and PCGS charges a fee for every coin submitted in bulk that fails to meet the Min. Grade. Those lesser quality govt. lenses get wholesaled off to dealers who have many places to go with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Good clarification! The pop numbers make it look like an ultra modern.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file