Home Sports Talk

Do you think Tom Brady is really done?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read a fantastic ESPN 10,000 word article on Joe Montana, it was written by a guy that spent a good amount of time with Montana, and talked to Steve Young and Ronnie Lott as well. Anyway, in the article Steve Young was talking about retirement and said that it's like falling off of a cliff into and landing into nothing, and it's like being a master violinist and having your violin taken away from you. Joe Montana said that he wishes every person on Earth could experience standing on an NFL sideline when the crowd is cheering for you, he said the sound waves radiate through your entire body and there's nothing like it. So, I got to thinking, I don't think Tom Brady is really done, I think he's going to get that itch to play again, and there's a lot of rumors going around out there. I know he tweeted yesterday about the cat thing, but this game is a hard thing to give up, and he can still play at an elite level, don't be surprised if he's back on the field next season.

Comments

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

Maybe, maybe not..... :)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 49ers job has to be looking mighty tasty to him right now, they have a championship caliber roster, all they need is a smart quarterback who can distribute the ball. Come on Tom, get a cat sitter, San Francisco needs you man. You got two choices, it's either the Niners, or this!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think he is, I hope he is but am betting he will tarnish his legacy by playing the Favre fake retirement game

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭

His arm is fine, that said hes almost certainly done. Seeing him that final year hes scared to get hit and I dont blame him at this point. Once that happens its over.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 % YES

Why risk getting hit over and over? It only takes one bad hit! Seventeen games per season, what are the odds?

Darryl Stingley got his neck broken in 1978 by Jack Tatum's tackle. He was parylyzed and he died at 55.
    John Madden, then the coach of the Raiders quit the next season...many have thought the Stingley incident was the driving factor.

I'm on board with you guys I just don't believe he is definitely done, once rookies start to report I think he will get the itch to compete

I mean, I'm not saying he's definitely coming back, but he loves the game so much and he can still play at an elite level, once the season draws near he's going to get that itch and I think he'll scratch it, especially if the right situation presents itself, like the 49ers. I could be wrong though, we'll see.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Brady chooses to return in 2023 I would have difficulty believing that he would join the SF 49rs because:

1. Mike Shanahan is the coach (in his early 40's) who has done well leading the franchise to 3 NFC title games and 1 Superbowl during his 6 year tenure as head coach, while having QB's who have been deferential to him;

2. Tom Brady (older than Shanahan) and arguably The GOAT may not be willing to defer to Shanahan when it comes to executing Shanahan's game plans throughout the long season; and

3. Items 1 and 2 above could possibly lead to a QB head coach relationship that is not positive (who would become the Alpha Male).

If Brady did play next year for the 49rs and he played at a level close to what his best is (along with a stellar OL [an open question] and offensive weapons galore [definitely present]), the 49rs would be an NFC favorite to make it to the Superbowl.

@SanctionII said:
    If Brady chooses to return in 2023 I would have difficulty believing that he would join the SF 49rs because:

1. Mike Shanahan is the coach (in his early 40's) who has done well leading the franchise to 3 NFC title games and 1 Superbowl during his 6 year tenure as head coach, while having QB's who have been deferential to him;

2. Tom Brady (older than Shanahan) and arguably The GOAT may not be willing to defer to Shanahan when it comes to executing Shanahan's game plans throughout the long season; and

3. Items 1 and 2 above could possibly lead to a QB head coach relationship that is not positive (who would become the Alpha Male).

If Brady did play next year for the 49rs and he played at a level close to what his best is (along with a stellar OL [an open question] and offensive weapons galore [definitely present]), the 49rs would be an NFC favorite to make it to the Superbowl.

If he goes anywhere I think it would be Miami first

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I think Brady did his time and will not return.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see Tommy return for another season (or two)!! He just needs a line better than the swiss cheese the Bucs put in front of him last season.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    I would love to see Tommy return for another season (or two)!! He just needs a line better than the swiss cheese the Bucs put in front of him last season.

But don't you think it would tarnish him a bit?

I do, I mean as it is I think his "Retirement" was a little underwhelming with the coverage it got and it was a quick video from him on a beach?

Idk the whole thing just seems sketchy to me

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I do, I mean as it is I think his "Retirement" was a little underwhelming with the coverage it got and it was a quick video from him on a beach?

I have never held to the tarnished legacy thinking. The vast majority of our greatest athletes play beyond their primes. in fact, most of them play well beyond their primes. Jordan, Bird, Mays, Gretzky, Mantle, Griffey, Marino, Montana, Manning... the list is almost endless. Once we get a few years past the old man seasons, those lesser memories tend to fade and we are left with the amazing ones.

I also never believed that lesser/bad/terrible old man seasons deleted the prime HOF GOAT seasons. nothing can take those away. In fact, it is a testament to their greatness that GOATS have the ability to play well beyond what is considered "prime" for the average professional athlete. It can become part of their lore. Nolan pitching till he was 46, Jordan Playing until he was 40. Ted Williams winning a batting title at 39 years old, etc.

I like to see those greats play as long as they want/can, even if they are not at peak prime. It is super nostalgic to me.

edited March 9, 2023 10:35AM

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I have never held to the tarnished legacy thinking. The vast majority of our greatest athletes play beyond their primes. in fact, most of them play well beyond their primes. Jordan, Bird, Mays, Gretzky, Mantle, Griffey, Marino, Montana, Manning... the list is almost endless. Once we get a few years past the old man seasons, those lesser memories tend to fade and we are left with the amazing ones.

I also never believed that lesser/bad/terrible old man seasons deleted the prime HOF GOAT seasons. nothing can take those away. In fact, it is a testament to their greatness that GOATS have the ability to play well beyond what is considered "prime" for the average professional athlete. It can become part of their lore. Nolan pitching till he was 46, Jordan Playing until he was 40. Ted Williams winning a batting title at 39 years old, etc.

I like to see those greats play as long as they want/can, even if they are not at peak prime. It is super nostalgic to me.

I have no problem with them playing past their prime, my point is that I just can't stand the retirement talk over and over again, I'm probably just jaded since I was around all these clowns in the Sheriffs department that said they would retire at 20 years and never did, my current boss in the private sector says it every year and never does.

Just shut your mouth and retire one time when your ready lol

I sure would love to see that be true, but it doesnt sound like Zolak has any real inside sources.

Maybe we need to get DD on the case.

edited March 10, 2023 4:15AM

@craig44 said:
    I sure would love to see that be true, but it doesnt sound like Zolak has any real inside sources.

Maybe we need to get DD on the case.

DD has got his hands full but if it comes down to it we might not have any choice!

I will only trust DD with someone as important as my Tommy

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, he is going to try acting next.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady. In Miami?
    🤮🤬🙁🤬🙁🤮🤬🙁🤮🤬🙁

👎👎

I did a bit of poking around, and according to Mike Garafolo with the NFL Network, the Dolphins informed Tua Tagovailoa the team will pick up his fifth-year option for the 2024 season. Tua will have $23.2 million guaranteed on the books next season. The option pick-up is considered a sign the Dolphins intend to keep Tua as their franchise quarterback.

@doubledragon said:
    I did a bit of poking around, and according to Mike Garafolo with the NFL Network, the Dolphins informed Tua Tagovailoa the team will pick up his fifth-year option for the 2024 season. Tua will have $23.2 million guaranteed on the books next season. The option pick-up is considered a sign the Dolphins intend to keep Tua as their franchise quarterback.

Nice work as usual DD 👌

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Nice work as usual DD 👌

You got it! 🖒

Thank you DD. not the answer I was hoping for, but you always break the news fast for us.

I barely check fox sports anymore

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

75% chance he's done but when the teams start a calling him with offers he may very well go another year......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

I think Tom Brady is done playing football.
    He can continue play football and make $$ millions or he can stay retired and make BAZILLIONS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and spend more time with his kids.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, he's an actual free agent with his contract expiring just before the new NFL year started. As long as he has the choice to go anywhere he wants, I doubt that this story goes away anytime soon. I think he's done though.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    His arm is fine, that said hes almost certainly done. Seeing him that final year hes scared to get hit and I dont blame him at this point. Once that happens its over.

Having all the money in the world isn’t much fun if you are confined to a wheelchair.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Basebal21 said:

Having all the money in the world isn’t much fun if you are confined to a wheelchair.

Truth. Hes certainly not hurting for money with the TV deal, but he did lose a lot of money in the FTX scandal