Home U.S. Coin Forum

Current “Popular” Fake Morgans, Slabs and PCGS on-line Certs

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 3 top appearing counterfeit Morgan $’s and slabs currently on the Internet there are various states of the on-line cert in a progression…

The #1 bad example in my review is the fake 1881-CC; it became notorious on the Internet and the cert was well handled in my opinion!

Listings are far and few between now and some have taken to interesting approaches to try to sell them.

2 is the bad 1883-CC; in this case the cert was deactivated- not quite as effective as the ’81-CC cert, it still will let the researcher know something may be up with this one.

After the 1st attempt didn’t work, the seller again tried the new approach:

And #3 may be more problematic, as the cert has had no apparent TPG response BUT there is at least an image of the genuine coin (no slab image) in a past auction.

Unfortunately, this one does show up in past sales through the PCGS web site and auction archives. The images of this one are particularly hideous…

The site for these bad apples has changed its name since I started reporting them; current listing for the 1899’s can be found at https://collectingio.com/products/1899-morgan-dollar-uncirculated, they are cheaper to buy in groups of three.

Any help the TPGs can offer through the on-line certs is certainly appreciated as these bad “coins” continue to plague the marketplace and Hobby- just one’s opinion…

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

collectingio.com also runs ads on Facebook for these.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine slabbed 1899:

The bar code looks different on the fake 1899, does it scan right?

I don't have the ability to check or I would. ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 ... Good information.... Posts such as this may help members from being scammed. Cheers, RickO

edited March 19, 2023 5:27AM

@ricko said:
    @burfle23 ... Good information.... Posts such as this may help members from being scammed. Cheers, RickO

Agreed; also a request for help from our host...

edited March 19, 2023 2:56PM

One a little of topic to add before this post dips off the main page...

Bad 1925 Stone Mountain Comms and good PCGS Cert-

Several sellers, one decided to remove the label from the slab after I reported his listings.

The label and holder are big giveaways, but I also found an apparent die mark on the reverse I have not seen on genuine pieces- experts out there let me know different!

These also found their way into the PCGS auction search data base…

Best, Jack.

"one decided to remove the label from the slab after I reported his listings."

Great job of pissing off these sellers and getting them to destroy their own coins! ;)
    Keep up the the great work!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that "teaching clone" listing. Thanks for your effort.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Suddenly seeing more of that...

edited March 20, 2023 7:48AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325541127441

Check the sellers other items.

I did; all removed...

Someone apparently caught up...

edited March 25, 2023 6:12PM

WOW, another cert bites the dust! I wonder what cert they will start using for the 1899's?

At least the cert is dead on this one, but 10 available!

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 5 of them. I'm going to sharpie the 63 to 68 and maximize profits.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Too late- already been removed!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file