Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp: 1911 half-eagle

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pedigree is unfamiliar to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

PMD

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d9lowe said:
    PMD

It would appear so. As deep as the impression appears, the top of the letters "E DO" should not be present.

Thanks. I hadn't gotten around to Googling it yet.

Here's another (a 1914) with the same pedigree, which is labeled as being struck through on the obverse. (Looks like it was a piece of string, maybe?)

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/41437994

Anyway, regarding the 1911 I just bought, I didn't really pay a premium for the error (if indeed it is one), nor the pedigree. I did pay pretty much full retail for the grade, however. I like the coin (it's the date I wanted, too- my paternal grandmother's birthyear).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan ... Nice gold coin. The $5 Indian is a favorite of mine... Cheers, RickO

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Nice piece of gold.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, good looking for the assigned grade IMO.

mirabela
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan Nice to see you are still here! I was away for a while but got back into collecting and here I am. Anyway, I bought my girlfriend a gold coin for Christmas, with the same pedigree. Apparently, nobody is quite sure where the group came from, but most are pretty nice.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful coin from one of my favorite series.
    Congratulations 👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

I took this for sarcasm at first!

Fairmont has dominated many of the Stacks auctions for the past few years. There’s another coming up soon.

Would be curious to hear @FredWeinberg opinion on the error. I think it’s likely that PCGS got it right and I think the letters could still show in E D O if the strike was through a soft material.

Good color on the coin - very attractive piece.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool piece
    Congrats

edited March 18, 2023 11:57PM

@Project Numismatics said:

@lordmarcovan said:

Bear in mind that I’m primarily a World coin guy, and was relatively impoverished until some inheritance a little over a year ago. So shopping for pedigreed four-figure gold coins was not in my sphere at all.

Two years ago I couldn’t afford any US gold bigger than a quarter-eagle because the bullion value alone put them out of my reach.

All of my previous experience with owning US gold was back in the early 2000s when bullion was cheap.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@d9lowe said:
    PMD

It would appear so. As deep as the impression appears, the top of the letters "E DO" should not be present.

I'm answering myself. :D If it was PMD it would also have corresponding damage of the front.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not PMD, look at the strike of the edge lettering "into" the defect. IMHO, this is planchet pre-strike damage or issue.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@Project Numismatics said:

@lordmarcovan said:

Bear in mind that I’m primarily a World coin guy, and was relatively impoverished until some inheritance a little over a year ago. So shopping for pedigreed four-figure gold coins was not in my sphere at all.

Two years ago I couldn’t afford any US gold bigger than a quarter-eagle because the bullion value alone put them out of my reach.

All of my previous experience with owning US gold was back in the early 2000s when bullion was cheap.

I’m glad you have a chance to collect what you love! I certainly wouldn’t know your financial situation by looking at your collection. I’ve always admired the sets you’ve put together - you were actually part of my inspiration to move away from set collecting toward Box of 20 and type.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 6:48AM

This immediately caught my eye:

And I thought of this:

Now you know where my mine is. Sorry!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one Rob! 👍

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file