Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this REALLY a detached Leg Buffalo

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Happy Sunday everyone.

I'm not into errors; but in a box of odds n' ends, I found this piece this morning. I'm not sure how much the ANACS label will show (not-so-hot photography shills...sorry) but it is a 2005 S Detached Leg, Cameo Proof 68. I looked online for photos but I couldn't determine if this was a legitimate "detached leg" or not or if perhaps ANACS made a slight error. Your guidance would be appreciated. It will be destined for eBay but I want to be sure it's legitimate first.

Also, is there a site that gives an approximate value for error coins such as this? I didn't find one.

As always, thanks so much!! I have attached 2 photos.

Piano1

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one belongs to Hugh G. Rection.

• Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

It took me a while, SmudgePosts, but I finally got it. No, that doesn't sound right. Let me try again. Um....clever play on words there, Smudge Posts. No, I'm not talking of "other attributes" of the Bison or anyone else...is this a "detached leg buffalo nickel"???

Piano1

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 11:41PM

I've never heard of this die variety, and if it were a mint error, I think ANACS would have labeled it as such. I think one of two things happened: the "detached leg" is a minor variety that never gained wide acceptance in the numismatic community, as indicated by lack of recognition by PCGS and NGC, or it's a mechanical/clerical error by ANACS and never should have received that comment on the label in the first place.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does indeed look like the left back leg is separated from the body.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We would need much better pictures to affirm or deny the condition.... Cheers, RickO

Hello, ricko.

Much better pictures needed to identify the detached leg? Um...with my photo skills, not possible! Maybe in my next life. I did see another one listed on eBay recently and I really couldn't tell the difference between that one and mine other than he got a Proof 69 and I only got a measly 68. Honestly, I don't remember ever buying this and not quite sure why I would anyway.

Anyway, ricko, thanks to you and everyone for your thoughts. I guess I have a bit of a puzzle on my hands. Gee...I wonder if Heritage ever auctioned any of these. I think I'll go check.

Piano1

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only used to seeing this on mint state examples. The OP's is the first proof I've seen.
    Here is a bit more details on the MS variety I could locate:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/2005-nickel-buffalo-leg-question.356834/

peacockcoins

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this pic of the real deal.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems legit. I'm surprised they didn't catch on more.

I've only seen 1 other Proof 2005 S Bison with the detached leg. It also was certified by ANACS. Not quite sure where to go with this but I guess it's a good problem to have. Crazyhounddog, great photo. I will dig out my super $13.00 digital microscope and see how it matches up with your photo. Thanks!

Piano1

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I found this pic of the real deal.

Now this pic is what is needed here to show the difference between the two.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file