Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on How to Handle the Attribution of this 1936 Dime

ShurkeShurke Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I picked up a nice unattributed 1936 DDO merc last weekend. Wexler has it as DDO-001 and lists it as a "Best of" variety for the series. CONECA has it as DDO-003. It isn't the Cherrypickers DDO, but it's so similar, PCGS, NGC, and ANACS all regularly attribute it as FS-101. In fact 3 of the 9 Trueviews on Coinfacts for the 1936 FS-101 depict the same variety as my new dime.

So. I'm having trouble making up my mind as how to proceed.

The first option: I could send it in to PCGS for reholdering and attribution. The major benefits of going this route would be having a DDO noted front and center on the label, as well as getting the coin into a an edge-view holder with the NFC chip, which I prefer. The major drawback would be finding a way to get it back to CAC for restickering. (I live smack dab in the middle of New Mexico, a state in which there are exactly zero CAC dealers).

The second option: I could send it to PCGS and get it Trueviewed through its current holder. Then I could send it to Messydesk for attribution. The major benefit would be having it attributed correctly. The major drawback would be having it in a non-edge-view, non-NFC-chip holder.

Either way, I'm going to have to mail the coin to two separate services.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts. Hopefully something will come up that makes this an easy decision. And just because every thread is better with pics, here's the dime in question. (Seller's pic, because my coin photography is beyond lousy).

Comments

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, here goes the coin is in a nice earlier holder With. CAC sticker, the variety is not much of a premium, why not keep as is and save the money!

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what it is. If you use one of the major auction houses to sell it sometime in the future they will attribute it in their description. Don't spend the $$$ or risk having the coin lost or stolen in the mail. I had an unattributed Large Cent variety that would have been only the third known uncirculated. I was sure what I had..just like you. I wanted the PCGS attribution on the label..sent it in for Express service..regrade and attribution. Coin got stolen in the mail! I got my insurance $$ but only for the unattributed coins value.
    Learn from my lesson..take no chances...my loss will haunt me forever.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recommendation is to keep it as it is... You can always advertise it as the attribution with details if you decide to sell. Cheers, RickO

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Sounds like there’s consensus. I’m going to give careful thought to all of your suggestions to leave it be. Thanks for your input.

@RLSnapper said:
    I wanted the PCGS attribution on the label..sent it in for Express service..regrade and attribution. Coin got stolen in the mail!
    Learn from my lesson..take no chances...my loss will haunt me forever.

Wow, that’s awful. Kind of makes me never want to put a coin in the mail again.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 8 DDOs for the date.
    3-4 are very very similar.
    I have owned MANY and had MANY attributed at PCGS.
    There are at least 3 different DDOs attributed as the FS-101 at PCGS.
    The Authoritative Reference on Mercury Dimes by John A Wexler and Kevin Flynn 2014 with Green Cover and the top pop 1916-D on the cover is a good reference book and shows all 8 DDOs for the date.

As has been discussed on the forums multiple times, there are challenges with variety attribution at a certain TPG. Fighting the case, referencing examples already attributed and calling attention to the photographs and mentioning how they are exactly like you example is one step towards success.

I can tell you that this variety is fairly common in that grade range and almost everyone that needs one already has one. There is not a huge gain by getting this coin, in this grade with variety attribution.

If you send it in, get the variety, and lose the sticker...the sticker can be gone after at a later date in your coin travels and it isn't the end of the world. That said, the expense of the variety attribution, True View and replacing the sticker will about wipe out any financial success here.

Hope these things help your decisions.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ShurkeShurke Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Thanks, keyman. Lots of good info in your post.

I haven’t picked up a copy of the Wexler & Flynn book yet, though I probably should since I already spend an inordinate amount of time on Wexler’s website.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file