Home U.S. Coin Forum

Make no mistake! This is a 20 cent piece.

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day...somebody made damn well sure this was not confused with a quarter. Cool counter stamped 20 cent piece.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty funny. I’d pay more than a quarter for it now. ;)

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read some place years ago that most damaged 20 cent pieces more than likely were damaged by those who accepted them as quarters or to prevent the mistake. Not to compare with love tokens. Neat coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it continued to circulate for a long time after the additional stamps were added. I wonder what the six pointed star stands for?

All glory is fleeting.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    It looks like it continued to circulate for a long time after the additional stamps were added. I wonder what the six pointed star stands for?

Star of David.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember to this day losing my lunch money in 1981 because the teacher said I only gave her quarters but they were really SBA dollars.

Losing 5 cents in 1875 must have been a real drag.

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty neat, I have not seen one before. Thanks for sharing!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave ... Wow.. that was a nasty experience... Was not rectified? Cheers, RickO

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave i had the opposite experience. I would get 3 SBA in change from a purchase. They were mistaken for quarters very often.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gained also by getting sba's in change as quarters. I never used them in my store, kept the ones I got from customers, along with Ikes and returned to bank.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

flash back for me too. I remember going through a McDonald's drive thru and then when putting my change away at home discovering I had 3 SBA dollars. James

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

Expo 67 Montreal

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    flash back for me too. I remember going through a McDonald's drive thru and then when putting my change away at home discovering I had 3 SBA dollars. James

I think I know a little bit about coins, but when the SBA's came out I got a few rolls and carried them and spent them and eventually spent one as a quarter.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    I remember to this day losing my lunch money in 1981 because the teacher said I only gave her quarters but they were really SBA dollars.

Losing 5 cents in 1875 must have been a real drag.

I woulda called the cops on her. All she's got to to do is READ the denomination off the coin.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway I think you are on to something. The dealer selling this piece is based in Toronto. The more I look at the pictures the more I am convinced that the "20" on each side is not incuse but is ink stamped ..just like the Expo 67 Montreal logo you identified. These markings are not contemporary to the piece but would have been made around 1967. Thanks for saving me some $$ on what I thought was a cool piece but upon further inspection is just a fantasy piece.

• JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    @CaptHenway I think you are on to something. The dealer selling this piece is based in Toronto. The more I look at the pictures the more I am convinced that the "20" on each side is not incuse but is ink stamped ..just like the Expo 67 Montreal logo you identified. These markings are not contemporary to the piece but would have been made around 1967. Thanks for saving me some $$ on what I thought was a cool piece but upon further inspection is just a fantasy piece.

Stamping "20" on those coins was quite common for circulated 20 cent pieces. I'm not sure what the star represents, but I don't believe that is ink-stamped, and is likely contemporary.

http://www.doubledimes.com/Counterstamp.html

The link above shows a very similarly counterstamped 20 cent piece.

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 4:34PM

@JRGeyer thanks for the link...the one with the 20 and 6 point star looks just like my piece. I should just buy it and be done with it! I just bought it!! This is my first counter stamp coin....Oh no...another collection has started.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool. I used to use SBA dollars all the time at high school lunch. The one time I used quarters instead, they gave me $3.00 worth of change back.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file