Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Recent wins 1834 Zs 8 Reales and 1827 Argentina 8 Reales

dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2023 9:24AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

1834 Zs 8 Reales. Took a small gamble that the coin had more luster than the pics . Got lucky, nice lightly toned coin with lots of luster, looks like a high end 62.

Cap and Rays were split in the auction with common coins in common condition showing some softness in bids, while the higher end examples still bring a premium.

1827 Argentina 8 Reales (7 Laurel Pairs), Provenance ties to Alex Siegel, a world coin dealer, from Houston who had the #1 set of Argentina 8 Reales at NGC. Extremely rare variety for the date, only one has been graded at either service, and based on prior discussions with Alex only a handful have been seen raw.

Kind of surprised it did not get many bids. Hard to determine a price with no transaction history. Guess is a specialty item, with most of the attention going to more common 1813 and 1815 dates.

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 10:24AM

I almost bid on the 1827 8R. Very scarce 7 laurel pairs. that coin has sold a few times at auction and seems like a great buy to me. Congrats!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which auction ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

edited March 12, 2023 10:49AM

@bidask said:
    Which auction ?

Stacks

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 10:59AM

Nice coins but that 1827 has some greenish areas you may want to have that looked at and professionally removed. For example there are in Union has some and also left to the 1 in the date below the dote and some other areas as well.

Don't want to be a party popper but best you know.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

1827 Argentina was last sold by Stacks in 2018 when the Alex Siegel collection of Argentina 8 Reales was auctioned. Alex was responsible for getting me into Latin America coins. Alex sold me quite a few Cap and Rays and a handful of Argentina 8 Reales.

He tried to get me into Central America coins but the push did not get me into the series.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 7:01PM

Nice additions. That's as good of a leg strike as you'll ever find on these pre-42 Zacatecas eagles.

edited March 12, 2023 7:12PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Nice coins but that 1827 has some greenish areas you may want to have that looked at and professionally removed. For example there are in Union has some and also left to the 1 in the date below the dote and some other areas as well.

Don't want to be a party popper but best you know.

The reason I mentioned this is to make sure your coin does not sustain further damage while in the holder. And in the future try staying away from such coins that have that type of ''corrosion''.

If I see any of that on any coin I want to buy I simply pass my turn. Not worth the headache. But PCGS can restore it for you some here have done so and all turned out fine. The grade remained the same I believe as well.

edited March 13, 2023 1:15PM

Pruebas:

You laugh but I am just trying to be helpful maybe he is not aware of this type of problem on coins or maybe he is and just does not mind it on such a rare coin. I am not a vet like you are Pruebas but trying to help someone seems like the right thing to do in our community. Instead of laughing why not give your input I know you know a lot so why not share it and be helpful. I am sure many would appreciate it.

If I am wrong in my statement please by all means correct me so the proper information is shared.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 2:18PM

@PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to Canada and try to steal your prized pillars.

Anyway, our friend bidask has been a collector since before you were born, so I highly doubt he needs instruction from you. Or that he even cares.

edited March 13, 2023 2:18PM

@pruebas said:
    @PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to (or wherever your humble abode lies) and try to steal your prized pillars.

Anyway, our friend bidask has been a collector since before you were born, so I highly doubt he needs instruction from you. Or that he even cares.

Please take my city out of your message I don't appreciate that I would not do that to you. I trust a few people here and that is my choice to make. The internet is not a place to share such things in my opinion who knows who is looking at these boards.

edited March 13, 2023 2:31PM

@pruebas said:
    @PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to canada (or wherever your humble abode lies) and try to steal your prized pillars.

Dizzlecc bot those coins in the OP ...but I get your point .

edited March 13, 2023 2:20PM

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:
    @PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to (or wherever your humble abode lies) and try to steal your prized pillars.

Please take my city out of your quote. Thanks. I rather play safe than be sorry. Many bad people on the internet as you all know.

@pruebas said:
    @PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to Canada and try to steal your prized pillars.

I tried changing my PM but it does not seem to work so I gave up.

I am not worried about you vets here I trust you guys it is the people we don't know looking in that I don't trust.

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:
    @PillarDollarCollector no one can PM you because you have your privacy set so high. I guess you are worried that one of us will go to canada (or wherever your humble abode lies) and try to steal your prized pillars.

I mean if he is OK with the coin then so be it I was just trying to be helpful and maybe PCGS could assist him in removing the greenish parts on the coin.

I mean if he is OK with the coin then so be it I was just trying to be helpful and maybe PCGS could assist him in removing the greenish parts on the coin.

The coin is in a NGC holder ...I trust that.

Let me try to be helpful to you.....stop buying details coins ........

@bidask said:

The coin is in a NGC holder ...I trust that.

Let me try to be helpful to you.....stop buying details coins ........

Hahaha I know and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depends on what I can afford to add at that moment in time. Easier said with Mexican 8 reales but not so easy with the much rarer places like say Bolivia. Not sure I could buy early 1732-1754 Mexican 8 reales that are numerically graded maybe in lower grade but not MS for sure.

This thread derailed. Too bad. Nice coins @dizzlecc

@Boosibri said:
    This thread derailed. Too bad. Nice coins @dizzlecc

Yes it has and I apologies for my part in that!!!

Thanks for the comments positive and cautionary.

Didn't take it personal. Coin is in an older NGC holder and was owned by an expert on the series. Did a double check just to be sure, no worries the coin is good and like the original look.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Cool, a newp thread with lots of replies! I’d better check it ou…ohhh right”

I like both pieces dizzlecc and especially the sunface. Rare no doubt! Fwiw I do not see pvc from the pics though it is pretty common on that series for some reason. Are you putting together a set of Argentina 8r?

Good question on putting together a set. Been putting some thought into the idea. The set is 19 coins, so doable. Plan to at least be competitive but not crazy about it.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks fine. Nice and original in my opinion.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.