Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA-Graded Cards Storage

I have been collecting PSA-graded cards for five years. I am still unable to find an acceptable method of storing my PSA-graded cards. I am currently working on completing a set that will eventually contain 331 cards. I am very interested in hearing the advice of other collectors regarding their storage failures and successes. Thank you in advance for any replies.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• What is it that you're having a problem with? Finding acceptable boxes? Finding an acceptable location? Finding enough storage space?

Are you worried about the cards getting damaged? The holders getting scratched? Long term effects of storage? Ability to display your cards?

DesertIceSports.Com

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I would like to store the entire set in a product that will hold it properly. Right now, I am considering purchasing six PSA storage boxes, and finding a chest or crate to store them in. I guess my point is that nobody seems to sell anything to store hundreds of slabbed cards in. I am very interested in hearing how other collectors store the hundreds of cards in their collection.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I use the cardboard boxes for graded cards. Not the greatest, but they don’t scratch and inexpensive.

• The only things I've seen that hold more than a few dozen cards were custom made... The PSA storage boxes they sell or the cardboard ones they ship their cards in are both great for storage... I use the shipping boxes when I travel with cards and I've never had a problem... But, for home storage, these are probably the best, although a bit pricey with the shipping charge ($82 for 6 boxes)

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

https://www.psacard.com/store/p-54-psa-storage-boxes.aspx

DesertIceSports.Com

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

These boxes are sturdy and hold up to 195 cards each. However, they do not have handles and aren't really mobile. Dave (70stoppsfanatic) also manufactures some really nice and sturdy card cases that are mobile and on wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Graded-Sports-Card-Storage-Boxes-Holds-195-Cards-NO-CARDS-ARE-INCLUDED/283453245403?hash=item41ff2147db:g:pFUAAOSwYcBbroMJ

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I use the supervault made of cardboard.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search CardVault in the BST forum on this site. Own one and love it! Admittedly, they are expensive.

I was able to replicate one for less, by finding the exact same case with customizable inserts made of the exact same foam. I just needed to provide the measurements.

A cheaper, equally waterproof, and more fireproof option is to buy military surplus “ammo cans” and line them with foam. I’ve customized a few, cheaply, and I love them. I plan to start a thread about those, someday soon. But it’s a real pain to load a ton of photos from my phone.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

edited April 28, 2019 4:58PM

Thank you all for the immediate replies! Desert Ice Sports, are you saying that the shipping cost for six PSA storage boxes is $82, or that it is $22, added to the $60 cost of the six boxes? Also, can I purchase the boxes from PSA at a show, and do they need to be assembled? Again, than you all for the immediate replies.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 3:47PM

I use this: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-Black-Aluminum-Case-69318.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

With minor modifications it fits the cards well. You can use the foam insert to create 4 rows of cards.

This weekend I just took some red oak to make some dividers and lined that with felt tape. It is working very well for me. Fits about 150 slabs per case. I have all my cards in the prefect fit sleeves so they don’t nest tightly together.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one large cardboard box that I lined on the inside with bubble wrap and it perfectly holds 600 cards. I had to reinforce the sides with duct tape every now and then from the weight causing the ends to split. It ain't pretty but it works, and the box was free!

• lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭

I can make something

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies

@lilmule said:
    I can make something

What can you make?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:

@lilmule said:
    I can make something

What can you make?

Mike's custom wooden storage boxes are truly beautiful pieces of hand craftmanship. Highly recommended!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I need something to hold 331 cards. 386, if I include the stickers in the set as well. Please let me know what is available, Lilmule. Perhaps we can work something out over the summer. Thanks for the reply, Grote.

• @MikeyP said:
    Thank you all for the immediate replies! Desert Ice Sports, are you saying that the shipping cost for six PSA storage boxes is $82, or that it is $22, added to the $60 cost of the six boxes? Also, can I purchase the boxes from PSA at a show, and do they need to be assembled? Again, than you all for the immediate replies.

Six boxes are $10 each, plus $22 shipping (for me, shipping fee may be different for you)... So, 6 boxes would be $82... I don't think they sell them at shows, only in the online store.

DesertIceSports.Com

Got it. Thanks.

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@Desert_Ice_Sports said:

@MikeyP said:

Six boxes are $10 each, plus $22 shipping (for me, shipping fee may be different for you)... So, 6 boxes would be $82... I don't think they sell them at shows, only in the online store.

I bought the PSA boxes from the Long Beach Expo a couple times. But have bought one of these off of Amazon and used the custom foam to design my own layout.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
    edited April 28, 2019 7:35PM

Wow! That is beautiful work, Lilmule.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies

@NGS428 said:
    I use this: https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-Black-Aluminum-Case-69318.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

With minor modifications it fits the cards well. You can use the foam insert to create 4 rows of cards.

This weekend I just took some red oak to make some dividers and lined that with felt tape. It is working very well for me. Fits about 150 slabs per case. I have all my cards in the prefect fit sleeves so they don’t nest tightly together.

Here are some pictures of my cases..

edited April 29, 2019 3:20AM

The boxes made by lilmule are woks of art in itself. I don't know the cost but having a little carpentry knowledge
    I can say that to build one takes quality and pricey raw materials and skilled time.
    The ones sold by 70 topps… are the high quality pelican cases. Very pricey but worth it. I have two.
    Not sure but "the box factory" makes quality wood and cardboard boxes and graded card boxes.
    They are like the old MJ Roop

I believe on ebay lionsgoods sells similar. They have imperfect ones for 1/2 price on ebay.

https://www.liongoods.com/products/graded-gard-storage-box-psa-bgs?variant=11957534151

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019 5:05AM

@pab1969 said:
    I have one large cardboard box that I lined on the inside with bubble wrap and it perfectly holds 600 cards. I had to reinforce the sides with duct tape every now and then from the weight causing the ends to split. It ain't pretty but it works, and the box was free!

Too funny! Add another to the ole duct tape list
    101. Toilet seat repair
    102. Refrigerator door hinge
    103. Auto bumper support
    104. Homemade bandage
    105. PSA graded card storage container

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@pab1969 said:

Too funny! Add another to the ole duct tape list
    101. Toilet seat repair
    102. Refrigerator door hinge
    103. Auto bumper support
    104. Homemade bandage
    105. PSA graded card storage container

Yes sir, definately another lawnmowerman classic! LOL!

That might make a good flex seal commercial

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

wondering how the various cases on the market will work if one keeps his graded cards in the PerfectFit sleeves? Even tho the fit is tight, there is a small amount that hangs out on the edge, so I imagine that some of the cases won't work if you leave the cards in the sleeves...

@Kep13 said:
    wondering how the various cases on the market will work if one keeps his graded cards in the PerfectFit sleeves? Even tho the fit is tight, there is a small amount that hangs out on the edge, so I imagine that some of the cases won't work if you leave the cards in the sleeves...

I had to size divider insert I made above to accommodate the PerfectFit sleeves. It wan't so much the with on the edge it was the extra at the bottom seam.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kep13 said:

In both the CardVault and other “Pelican” style briefcase with custom inserts, as well as the ammo cans listed above, the perfect fit sleeves were no problem. In fact they help make the fit even a little more snug!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Kep13 said:

In both the CardVault and other “Pelican” style briefcase with custom inserts, as well as the ammo cans listed above, the perfect fit sleeves were no problem. In fact they help make the fit even a little more snug!

The Card Vault foam inserts were designed so that they could accommodate the width of most TPG slabs using a single size storage row because the cost of doing a slab specific design, a slab-specific machine tool and then holding slab-specific inventory so that each TPG slab would fit perfectly could just not be justified given the size of the market. We have quite a few customers using the perfect fit sleeves and/or the clam shells in conjunction with the Card Vault cases and it works quite nicely.

Since just after Christmas we've had some issues getting replenishment Card Vault inventory but the manufacturing back order situation is finally easing and we should be able to have more inventory on hand in the first half of June. If anyone needs info just send me a PM and I can get you point to the information about all of the Card Vault models.

Dave
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I appreciate the info and insight NGS428, DBesse27 and 70ToppsFanatic

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Dave, sent you a PM.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:
    Wow! That is beautiful work, Lilmule.

Just got my 2nd custom box from Mike and once I get moving around again I will take pics and post. If it's a quality set that you enjoy and you don't plan on carrying it around like a door to door salesman, I highly suggest his work. It's probably not the type of boxes you want to store your 88 Donruss beaters in, but a quality set deserves to be housed in something equally impressive. When you get your set out to show your friends(who probably don't give a rats ass if they are anything like my friends), even if they aren't stunned by your cardboard gems, I guarantee they will be impressed by what I consider to be a true work of art.
    Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    Tim

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

I actually know a guy who bought a brand new refridgerator to store cards in. It isn't plugged in so the cards aren't threatened by cold temperatures.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I actually know a guy who bought a brand new refridgerator to store cards in. It isn't plugged in so the cards aren't threatened by cold temperatures.

Hmmm...I'm intrigued...please tell me more about this. Do you know his thought process? Is this to fool possible thieves? Does he live in a high temperature/high humidity environment, perhaps on a tropical island with no ability to control the elements? What model refrigerator? What features did he especially like about this refrigerator, over another, that pertained to storing cards?

@countdouglas said:

@doubledragon said:

Hmmm...I'm intrigued...please tell me more about this. Do you know his thought process? Is this to fool possible thieves? Does he live in a high temperature/high humidity environment, perhaps on a tropical island with no ability to control the elements? What model refrigerator? What features did he especially like about this refrigerator, over another, that pertained to storing cards?

It's just a refridgerator. He bought it new, so it wouldn't have any mold or debris in it. He took the guts out for extra space. He lives in Richmond Virginia. He actually helped me to start collecting back in the early 90s.

Store more in a Kenmore.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

But why a refrigerator? Why not a deep freezer? Or a dishwasher? Or a gun cabinet? Or, I don't know, maybe a curio or glass display case? So many questions...

@countdouglas said:
    But why a refrigerator? Why not a deep freezer? Or a dishwasher? Or a gun cabinet? Or, I don't know, maybe a curio or glass display case? So many questions...

I'll ask him next time I speak with him. He stores some nice cards in there. Just slaps em in there and shuts the door.

Remember, store more in a Kenmore.😉

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 12:21PM

@doubledragon said:

There was a lady, down here in Florida, that was arrested last year for having a body in her fridge. I bet now she wishes she stored cards in there instead haha

@lawnmowerman said:

@doubledragon said:

There was a lady, down here in Florida, that was arrested last year for having a body in her fridge. I bet now she wishes she stored cards in there instead haha

Just when I thought I'd heard it all! She's not going to be collecting anything where she is!

• I just bought this. http://bit.ly/3ZDiZCL. It’s super awesome and satisfying to own a deep card catalog.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

my collection has grossly outgrown the use of Apache cases. plucked foam is great but its terrible for organization or needing to move space round. I needed something to hold 400+ slabs. after some thinking and looking around, I settled on a shoe storage organizer that Sita on a shelf in my office closet. fits even rows of slabs and the top dust cover zips up. sacrificing a little security for room and ease to access and file slabs away. make fun of it if you will, but the dividers make it perfect and its like a perfect size for PSA slabs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WN1WRC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_21&amp=&crid=1XGBWNHYG0PYS&sprefix=anyoneer+shoe+storage&th=1

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@danfred82 said:
    I just bought this. http://bit.ly/3ZDiZCL. It’s super awesome and satisfying to own a deep card catalog.

Pretty sure the op has it figured out since this thread is 4 years old.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered how these old threads randomly get "answered" years later. I saw one the other day resurrected from 2006 i believe. strange

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    my collection has grossly outgrown the use of Apache cases. plucked foam is great but its terrible for organization or needing to move space round. I needed something to hold 400+ slabs. after some thinking and looking around, I settled on a shoe storage organizer that Sita on a shelf in my office closet. fits even rows of slabs and the top dust cover zips up. sacrificing a little security for room and ease to access and file slabs away. make fun of it if you will, but the dividers make it perfect and its like a perfect size for PSA slabs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WN1WRC?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_21&amp=&crid=1XGBWNHYG0PYS&sprefix=anyoneer+shoe+storage&th=1

Gee, do I have to make fun of it??? I’d rather just say I think it’s fabulous. And it looks easily stackable if things get way out of control!!

Thanks for sharing!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:

@dictoresno said:

Gee, do I have to make fun of it??? I’d rather just say I think it’s fabulous. And it looks easily stackable if things get way out of control!!

Thanks for sharing!

I love that idea. Way less space than anything else.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    I can make something

I don't know how many cards it can hold, but it is beautiful.

ps It if full now, I should really take an updated photo